PETA's going to be pissed.

Shimmer

wow. Seriously? o.o

The idea of having never seen livestock other than in a pen is so strange to me. I forget that my upbringing was so country sometimes.

Switz1880

Wow it sounds like it would be so much fun to chase chickens! Since I grew up in Queens, NY, I've never had the chance to do that, or milk a cow . . . . I just can't imagine how cool it would be to grow up on a farm!

shadowaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani
OHHH MY GOD!!!! I work at a farm and it took me sooo long to figure out how to catch those sneaky mother-buckers (<-lol). And even now that I know the process if the bird doesn't want to be caught, they can run fast as hell! Take lots of videos, it sounds like so much fun! Makes me look foward to work on thursday
cutey.gif

thmbup.gif
Don't you mean those sneaky mother-CLUCKERS? Sorry couldn't resist. This sounds like fun.

wolfsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
First kid to catch a chicken without hurting it (no hurting the animals) gets a twenty from me, and probably another forty to sixty bucks from the rest of the family.

Kudos for that - im a meat eater, but i believe in as little suffering to the animal as possible. You never know whether they will have to do that later in life - catching and handling animals humanely is a great skill to learn.

Edit:
I grew up in a farmer town, its so strange that some city folk have that same curiosity for farm animals as people do of lions in zoos, it makes me quite sad that some people havent experienced the countryside.

eulchen

i know what you mean. a few years ago they did a study in the primary schools in Berlin, germanys capital and biggest city. they let children paint country animals, for example cows. almost all children painted the cows purple, because all cows theyve ever seen was the purple cow from the milka chocolate ad
ssad.gif

redambition

no hurting the chickens, then im ok with that.

kid chasing chickens = more fun than kid being chased by goose.

wolfsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulchen
i know what you mean. a few years ago they did a study in the primary schools in Berlin, germanys capital and biggest city. they let children paint country animals, for example cows. almost all children painted the cows purple, because all cows theyve ever seen was the purple cow from the milka chocolate ad
ssad.gif

Thats shocking! Unfortunately with the destruction of our countryside due to overpopulation and farmers going bankrupt (at least in the UK) its going to be more and more common for this to be reality. Though probably not the whole purple cow thing!
lol.gif

Shimmer

There is absolutely NO hurting any of the animals. My mom's got horses, and I grew up on a farm. I don't believe in that. Chasing a chicken won't HURT it, but it'll sure give you a workout.

I hate geese. And guineas. And swine.

Shimmer

oh yes, yes we do. And all manner of other small predator.

That's right, we'll consider it exercise and training for the chickens.
greengrin.gif

Chic 2k6

I'd love to be there to watch lol, it's hilarious just thinking about it.

I live in the countryside lol so there's pigs, sheep, cattle, chickens, horses wherever you go.

Lucky you're not using Geese, they end up chasing the kids instead of kids chasing them. they're evil. :| locals actually use those things for guard dogs
lol.gif

When's the chicken run?

Shimmer

as soon as possible. My brother's in NJ and my other brother's just had knee surgery, so as soon as we can get the three of us together, we're going to do it!

panda0410

hahahahaha!! your kids are going to love this!! And I can totally see your little girl squealing her head off whilst in chase
winks.gif
I grew up on a farm and we had dozens of chooks and did exactly the same thing...lol!!

CaraAmericana

I'm telling. joking.

Name one of them Stella. SO you can say " (kid's name) was chasing Stella the chicken..."

Have fun!