Plato's closet

choseck

I want to get rid of a bunch of clothes - how does Platos Closet rate? I have been going through a consignment store and I've made about $500 so far, but they are so damn picky.. everything needs to be brought in on a hanger, absolutely no wrinkles (which is hard, cause the stuff gets wrinkled on the drive over!!!!)

I'm just curious as to how picky Plato's Closet is and how much money I might be able to expect, I know it probably varies by location. If it seemed like a go, I think I might just bring my AE, Gap, Old Navy, JCREW etc stuff there instead?

Let me know if you've had any luck with them! Thanks.
th_wiggle2.gif

Macnarsandlove

I went to platos closet a few times and all my clothes were from express, gap, limited, etc and I didnt get very much. The girls that work there kinda guess and there was no system in place that I saw to evaluate the amount its worth. I wouldnt go there again unless I was desperate. ps- the clothes have to be washed, no stains, and in very near new condition.

choseck

Okay, good to know. My clothes are in VERY good condition - a lot of them have only been worn once or twice and many still have tags on them (I lost a lot of weight and they just don't fit - thats why i'm getting rid of them) so I guess I should just avoid the unlazy route and go through the consignment store with my summer stuff.

Ugh, I'm so dreading the work!

liv

They are good for getting rid of things you didn't get too long ago, I brought in some of my older (but still in very good condition) clothes from Abercrombie, AE, Gap, etc that I just didn't like anymore, and they barely took anything. They want current stuff. That said, I browsed the racks while they were going through my stuff, and saw some older clothes from those stores (I'm a nerd and can tell by the change in label styling), so it is really hit or miss. I would try taking the same things that they didn't take back again in a couple weeks, and have someone else go through them.

blueyedlady87

It really depends on location and the stores stock. For clothes in good condition I think it's about $3-5 per item. So not alot but better than just tossing it. They go for more teen brands, at least in SoCal, like Abercrombie, Hollister, but they also have some Gap, Sevens, etc. For a laundry basket full of old clothes I got $60 and spent $40 of it, go figure. Sounds like your consignment store pays better.

hyperRealGurl

Ehhh i personally have never "experienced" Platos closet, but my sister has she took 2 pairs of jeans which she payed 80$ each for and has only worre them maybe 2 or 3 times each... and they gave her 20$ for each jeans
ssad.gif

Shimmer

they buy low so they can sell and still make a profit.

Probably best to go through ebay... :/

xiahe

you don't get a lot for selling your stuff at plato's closet. they're also very picky about what they accept - usually things bought within a year or less. they accept a variety of brands, including A&F, hollister, express, GAP, charlotte russe, forever21, roxy, billabong, steve madden...the list goes on and on.