Please Help! Application Process for MAC UK?

AH100

Hi all,

I have just joined today as I have a question about applying for a job at a MAC counter in London.

I live in Brixton, London and have seen on the website that they are looking for a part time retail artist at a MAC counter at Morely's department store in Brixton (so v. local!)
I did an Intro. to beauty make-up course this summer, where I learnt a lot. We practiced on each other and used all MAC products. I personally love MAC and use a lot of their products myself and spend a lot of time browsing the counter (when I can't afford to actually buy stuff!) The teacher (who is a professional MUA- Ruth Brophy) says she thinks I should go for the position, as has a friend of mine who used to work for MAC.

Basically I was wondering:
a) Is the above enough "make up experience" to apply
b) When you phone up to state which position you want to apply for do they do the phone interview there and then or do they ring you back at another time so you have time to prepare?

Your help in answering these 2 questions would be really appreciated! I have look at some of the other threads relating to this subject but they are all form a few years ago so thought they may have changed their process.

Thank you!
x x

NeonVelvet

Hi, i would say go for it. I know people with years of experience that havent passed the telephone interview and people without any freelance make up experience go the whole way and get the job. as long as you have a passion for makeup and enthusiasm, thats more important. obviously you need to know how to apply make up but u dont have to be a seasoned professional. go for it hun. the worst that could happen is you dont get through and you can try again in 4 months.

Yes they do the telephone interview then and there, they do give you the option to call bk later if you want time to prepare.

good luck, if you have any questions, hit me up.

p.s i work weekends at the counter in morely's

AH100

Hiya!

Thanks so much for responding!
I rung up this morning and had the phone interview straight away (had done loads of prep last night). I didn't get through to the next stage sadly but I got the impression that it was more to do with a slight lack in retail experience than anything else. She said they'd had a really high number of applicants so I guess the more experienced ones got through. Not too disappointed though as I was really nervous when ringing but felt like I gave good answers and came across well so I guess it was good practice!
It's a shame you have to wait 4 months to reapply, I suppose it just gives me time to get some more experience under my belt!

Thanks for your advice, might see you in Morely's one day!
smiles.gif

daisybuti

Phone interviews are a pain. If you can get the counter to accept your CV then its best to do it that way, and also let them see what person you are.

MOST counters will say "sorry you have to go through recruitment, we dont take in CVs' but some people that know them or are lucky enough to get their CV accepted are most likely to be called back than through the phone...

I rang through for Bobbi Brown on the recruitment line and was told even if I did have retail, I need make up experience... so my retail had to be Cosmetic retail... then i didnt get through but she advised me to apply for Estee or Clinique but they didnt have any in the area I wanted to be in. I actually tried handing my CV in but the counter wouldnt take it and i only went in cause i knew they had a vacancy.

My cousin applied for bobbi brown without any experience but she handed her CV in at counter, she did the first, 2nd and 3rd interview but didnt get through because one of the managers didnt like her.

I applied for MAC as well and I know thats under estee lauder, but i handed my cv in at counter (this counter didnt say there were vacancies on the site) and they took it. and im starting with them next week!

phone interviews are stupid, if you know someone who knows the counter see if you can hand in your CV.