potato??

angelica

My friend got called a potato the other day on Myspace by his ex-girlfriend ...what the heck does that mean!? ...anyone!?

angelica

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
is he shaped like a potato?

LOL, no not at all

xmrsvindieselx

maybe she just wants to eat him.
lol.gif
haha Im kidding.but I used to live next door to this woman who was at LEAST 600 pounds and she used to call me an oreo.I swore it was because she wanted to eat me.( Im half Puerto Rican and half German)

Ms. Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmrsvindieselx
maybe she just wants to eat him.
lol.gif
haha Im kidding.but I used to live next door to this woman who was at LEAST 600 pounds and she used to call me an oreo.I swore it was because she wanted to eat me.( Im half Puerto Rican and half German)

Sorry hon, that is not what she meant. That is a negative racial remark. It means white on the inside, black on the outside.

Wattage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLoves2Shop
Sorry hon, that is not what she meant. That is a negative racial remark. It means white on the inside, black on the outside.

I don't see why this has to be thought of as negative. A lot of people call my bf a banana (white on the inside, yellow on the outside) and it's not negative. It's just a way of joking that he is culturally very Canadian, but physically he is Vietnamese.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

they added the word "Mouse Potato" to the dictionary. it means someone who spends alot of time in front of the computer , as in couch potato is someone who spends a lot of time in front of the tv.

Lady_MAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattage
I don't see why this has to be thought of as negative. A lot of people call my bf a banana (white on the inside, yellow on the outside) and it's not negative. It's just a way of joking that he is culturally very Canadian, but physically he is Vietnamese.

No..it is negative. It just perpetuates the belief that you can act a race. I am endlessly called an oreo because I do not use slang and like Rock music. If that is "acting white" what is acting Black? Hmm?

Is being culturally Canadian exclusively white? I think not. That is f'd up and flawed thinking.....IMO, of course.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_MAC
No..it is negative. It just perpetuates the belief that you can act a race. I am endlessly called an oreo because I do not use slang and like Rock music. If that is "acting white" what is acting Black? Hmm?

Is being culturally Canadian exclusively white? I think not. That is f'd up and flawed thinking.....IMO, of course.

Heh touchy subject...

I think a lot of it also depends on the context of who's saying what, and the meaning they are applying to the word in question.

When I was telling friends of mine that I was going to hang out with a select group of girls, it was always, "I'll be out with the bitches." But it's positive in that context because of the meaning we (my friends) assign to that word in that moment.

FYI dont take this out of context, just making an example:

Your getting called an, "Oreo" because your deviating from the, "steriotype" that is present in the popular culture of the moment. How many "black" mainstream rock bands are there compared to "white" rock bands. Conversly how many "white" rapers are there compared to "black" rapers. Its probably a safe bet that a far larger majority of whites listen to rock compared to the number of blacks, just as statistically there is probably more blacks who listen to rap than whites. Obviously there is cross over on both sides, but thats going to be a minority. Blame popular culture which steriotypes black culture as ghetto people who listen to rap, and white culture as preppy scene kids who listen to emo rock bands.

An equally valid observation would be to say that your not being Oreo at all, but actually being true to your racial steriotype by looking for and claiming racism is the motivation for someone's actions, when it really isn't even a factor.

Steriotypes happen, it's unavoidable. It may not be fair, but as humans we have to be able to quickly place people into generic temporary catagories to better be able to interact with them. I dont know you, so on first glance i'd put you in the black catagory. Your friends (or not so friends) know you better, and have you in the catagory between white and black, or Oreo.

FYI none of this was written with mean spirit, and I lost my train of thought somewhere along the way... Sorry, it's my blonde streaks. =P

Lady_MAC

Actually, if you would like to talk about statistics, White and Latino youth purchase more rap music than Blacks. I guess that does not prove that Blacks listen to it less, as they may find the music by other means (downloading, cd sharing/ripping, etc) but with the only stats that anyone can use to make a true judgement...

What you said is only the media's construction of reality, which countless people buy into and willingly accept.

If I am being the stereotypical black woman by bringing attention to things that are blatantly racist to me, so be it. Many times people will make comments or believe things that are in fact racist, but they fail to realize how that could be. Do I label them racist? No. I try to enlighten them.

The other day a friend and I were talking about something and I exclaimed "Indubitably!" What was her response? "Like omigod, you're so white". Great- so any black person with a vocabulary that extends beyond that of a fifth grader is trying to be White. I find that racist, so I explained to her why.

Anyway, I do understand how some interpret things differently. When you talk about your "bitches", I know people who will brand you "anti-woman" while other feel that it is synonymous to "chick" or "girlfriends". Well, the term "Oreo" does not sit well with me at all, but I guess it's cool with others. Whatever.

Indigowaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_MAC
Actually, if you would like to talk about statistics, White and Latino youth purchase more rap music than Blacks. I guess that does not prove that Blacks listen to it less, as they may find the music by other means (downloading, cd sharing/ripping, etc) but with the only stats that anyone can use to make a true judgement...

What you said is only the media's construction of reality, which countless people buy into and willingly accept.

If I am being the stereotypical black woman by bringing attention to things that are blatantly racist to me, so be it. Many times people will make comments or believe things that are in fact racist, but they fail to realize how that could be. Do I label them racist? No. I try to enlighten them.

The other day a friend and I were talking about something and I exclaimed "Indubitably!" What was her response? "Like omigod, you're so white". Great- so any black person with a vocabulary that extends beyond that of a fifth grader is trying to be White. I find that racist, so I explained to her why.

Anyway, I do understand how some interpret things differently. When you talk about your "bitches", I know people who will brand you "anti-woman" while other feel that it is synonymous to "chick" or "girlfriends". Well, the term "Oreo" does not sit well with me at all, but I guess it's cool with others. Whatever.

Well put.
clap.gif
I concur. (Now I DARE anyone to say anything about that)

Oh yeah, and she's right about her statistics. Also, things that are considered racist to us may not be considered racist to someone else because HELLO! racism is aimed at certain people and not others. So of course you wouldn't know what it's like to be in our shoes and we in yours. End of story. Now back to the subject...

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigowaters
Well put.
clap.gif
I concur. (Now I DARE anyone to say anything about that)

I will =P

Quote:

It's the media's construction of reality due to the obvious. Rap wouldn't be considered black (and i'm excluding the latino spin on rap music for the contect of this discussion as while similar, it's culturally different) music if the mainstream performers and roots of the concept didn't stem from black performers. Todays rap is even different from the rap music that was popularised in the 90's, and signifigantly different from the 80's and completely different from the funk music in the 70's. And I'm sure funk music has roots in something else but I dont know enough about the origin of that style of music to comment.

And there are signifigantly more stats availible on who listens to what than just CD sales. We use this database at my job http://www.scarborough.com/about.php and it essentially can give you the market breakdown of nearly anything. It's used by advertisers to better markey their products to the people that are more likeley to listen to it. You could basically if you wanted get a breakdown of the percentage of people who have listened to rap on the radio, bought a rap CD, or watched a rap video on TV, as well as the age and racial profile of majority group. I can't guarentee the result as I dont have direct access to the program (not in the marketing department, only help out on occasion with research) but I'd be willing to bet it's weighted towards blacks (although probably moreso in the past years than now, as Rap is defeneteley becomming more mainstream).

How about just from observations? Moving from suburbia to the innercity which is statistically more black than white, the number of cars with rattle my window bass bumping has gone up exponentially. While having bumping systems isn't soley a black thing, it's fairly safe to say that rap music is more likeleye to shake the foundation of my house, than if everyone driving around was blasting emo alternative music like they did on the streets of Santa Barbara, CA.

What does any of the above have to do with being racist? It doesn't. It's general observations and statistics. It's not racist to say, most rappers are black or rap is black music. It's true. It's the dominant group. Just as the inverse of that being white emo bands, so alternative rock music is going to be considered a white thing. Again it's not racist, it's generalizations derived from the fact that rock and roll performers are statistically more white than black. So it's a white thing. And rap is a black thing.

Quote:

Why are they racist in the first place? You can find racism anywhere if you look hard enough. Even in places where it doesn't exist. Dictionary.com definiton 2 defines Racism as, "Discrimination or prejudice based on race." How does your friends comment have anything to do with the above definition. Would you have been less offended if she had said, "Like omigod, you're such a nerd!" Or had substituted "white" for any other derigatory comment? Why does the use of color only offend the black community (another obvious steriotype, but steriotypes are created because of common observations). If your friend was being racist, she woulnd't be your friend.

Quote:

Do you think the main reason you find the term Oreo to be offensive, because your looking deeper than whats really there? I mean we have two direct and opposite opinions in just this thread on the term, "oreo." One not really even caring, and the other (yours) trying extremely hard to project your opinion that the term oreo is bad onto someone else who does not hold that opinion at all. Maybe you would be less offended if you spent less time analyzing every word for racism, and spent more time just talking.

Raerae

Quote:
Oh yeah, and she's right about her statistics. Also, things that are considered racist to us may not be considered racist to someone else because HELLO! racism is aimed at certain people and not others. So of course you wouldn't know what it's like to be in our shoes and we in yours. End of story. Now back to the subject...

Actually I disagree, I think people confuse how it feels to be a minority with racism. In all reality, i think very few people have expierenced as much racism as they claim to have. And just apply the term, "racist" to anything they personally find offensive that somehow has to do with a skincolor.

In all of her examples she talks about friends joking around, and just because they happen to include skincolor, they are automatically racially offensive.

I would argue the intent of the speaker would be the deciding factor on whether a phrase is racist, not the perception of the listener because they misinterpreted.

Like in her example about her friend (i'm assuming it's a white friend) saying she's being so "white." I highly doubt her friend said that with the implication that white's are superior and she should stop trying to be white. Or said it with the intent to descriminate against her. She said it because they are friends, and she feels close enough to her to use casual jokes withought thinking she has to worrk about stepping on broken glass everytime she opens her mouth. There is nothing racist about that.

Indigowaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
I will =P

It's the media's construction of reality due to the obvious. Rap wouldn't be considered black (and i'm excluding the latino spin on rap music for the contect of this discussion as while similar, it's culturally different) music if the mainstream performers and roots of the concept didn't stem from black performers. Todays rap is even different from the rap music that was popularised in the 90's, and signifigantly different from the 80's and completely different from the funk music in the 70's. And I'm sure funk music has roots in something else but I dont know enough about the origin of that style of music to comment.

And there are signifigantly more stats availible on who listens to what than just CD sales. We use this database at my job http://www.scarborough.com/about.php and it essentially can give you the market breakdown of nearly anything. It's used by advertisers to better markey their products to the people that are more likeley to listen to it. You could basically if you wanted get a breakdown of the percentage of people who have listened to rap on the radio, bought a rap CD, or watched a rap video on TV, as well as the age and racial profile of majority group. I can't guarentee the result as I dont have direct access to the program (not in the marketing department, only help out on occasion with research) but I'd be willing to bet it's weighted towards blacks (although probably moreso in the past years than now, as Rap is defeneteley becomming more mainstream).

How about just from observations? Moving from suburbia to the innercity which is statistically more black than white, the number of cars with rattle my window bass bumping has gone up exponentially. While having bumping systems isn't soley a black thing, it's fairly safe to say that rap music is more likeleye to shake the foundation of my house, than if everyone driving around was blasting emo alternative music like they did on the streets of Santa Barbara, CA.

What does any of the above have to do with being racist? It doesn't. It's general observations and statistics. It's not racist to say, most rappers are black or rap is black music. It's true. It's the dominant group. Just as the inverse of that being white emo bands, so alternative rock music is going to be considered a white thing. Again it's not racist, it's generalizations derived from the fact that rock and roll performers are statistically more white than black. So it's a white thing. And rap is a black thing.

Why are they racist in the first place? You can find racism anywhere if you look hard enough. Even in places where it doesn't exist. Dictionary.com definiton 2 defines Racism as, "Discrimination or prejudice based on race." How does your friends comment have anything to do with the above definition. Would you have been less offended if she had said, "Like omigod, you're such a nerd!" Or had substituted "white" for any other derigatory comment? Why does the use of color only offend the black community (another obvious steriotype, but steriotypes are created because of common observations). If your friend was being racist, she woulnd't be your friend.

Do you think the main reason you find the term Oreo to be offensive, because your looking deeper than whats really there? I mean we have two direct and opposite opinions in just this thread on the term, "oreo." One not really even caring, and the other (yours) trying extremely hard to project your opinion that the term oreo is bad onto someone else who does not hold that opinion at all. Maybe you would be less offended if you spent less time analyzing every word for racism, and spent more time just talking.

You are making more of this than it has to be. First off, you're using the word stereotype to the point it doesn't make sense. Second, like I said there are certain things that are said that won't affect you like it does us because YOU'RE NOT US! "Oreo" is a word used in the black community to put someone down for acting "too white". When someone of another color uses it as a joke, it's up to us to let them know it's not cool (even if it's not meant that way from that person). It doesn't matter who it comes from, it just doesn't sound right. We're just saying being black shouldn't be synonymous with a limited vocabulary. There are other races including whites that have words they'd rather not have people call them, one of them being racist. Why? Because not everyone is racist that is white, not everyone is over-sensitive that is black and so on and so forth. Now, back to the topic ^^

Raerae

Quote:
"Oreo" is a word used in the black community to put someone down for acting "too white". When someone of another color uses it as a joke, it's up to us to let them know it's not cool (even if it's not meant that way from that person). It doesn't matter who it comes from, it just doesn't sound right.

Why do terms turn racist ONLY if another color of skin uses them? Do you stop and educate all the blacks who call you an Oreo that it's "not cool" or only the whites, hispanics, chinese, japanese, koreans, arabs, etc etc etc?

It's only racist if it fits the definition of racism. Calling someone an oreo can be racist, and it can not be racist, all depending on the context of the conversation.

If the person calling you an oreo is doing it because they dont think it's appropriate for someone with dark skin to behave like their white, than yes it's racist. Her friend joking with her was not being racist.

Indigowaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raerae
Why do terms turn racist ONLY if another color of skin uses them? Do you stop and educate all the blacks who call you an Oreo that it's "not cool" or only the whites, hispanics, chinese, japanese, koreans, arabs, etc etc etc?

It's only racist if it fits the definition of racism. Calling someone an oreo can be racist, and it can not be racist, all depending on the context of the conversation.

If the person calling you an oreo is doing it because they dont think it's appropriate for someone with dark skin to behave like their white, than yes it's racist. Her friend joking with her was not being racist.

You obviously didn't read what I said. It's a term used in the black community to PUT SOMEONE DOWN and no it's not cool regardless of who uses it. <----Like I said before ^.