Question for the North American ladies...

vocaltest

Right, I've been wondering this for sooo long! And its gonna sound so dumb but here goes...

Are American high schools really as bitchy/nasty as they make out in the movies? I mean movies like... Mean Girls, American Pie, umm... basically teen flicks, you know what I mean!

I wanna know because our 'high schools' (well, my school anyway) wasn't like that and I think to myself, 'is it really that bitchy?'. haha. such a dumb question but i'd like someone to settle this thought of mine for good!

Thank you in advance!

red

you guys watch way too many movies
cutey.gif

I live in New York, and I can tell you with certainty that we don't walk around with $500 Manolo Blahnik as Carrie does in Sex & the City
cutey.gif

Most girls are really sweet, naturally there are some that are not, but I wouldn't categorize them all to be bitches
winks.gif

vocaltest

Quote:
Originally Posted by red
you guys watch way too many movies
cutey.gif

I live in New York, and I can tell you with certainty that we don't walk around with $500 Manolo Blahnik as Carrie does in Sex & the City
cutey.gif

Most girls are really sweet, naturally there are some that are not, but I wouldn't categorize them all to be bitches
winks.gif

haha yes i know that! i just meant at schools. i hate those type of movies... well, most. i've just always wondered because i lived in north america for 6 months when i was younger, and we were going to go back there when i was.... 13 i think, and i saw movies like those, and was like 'omg, im scared', but we didn't in the end. i've just always wondered it!

kimmy

there's bitchy girls in ever high school across the world. it just isn't entertaining to watch a movie about the studious ones, i guess.

pumpkincat210

I went to a really snobby high school where the kids all had super nice new cars and had big mansions. Some girls I knew of had designer stuff. I was middle class, but on the lower end of the income range for that high school.
There were definitely mean girls and snobs there! Everyone had their own group of friends and it was really hard to get into one. Luckily I had my own little group of friends, but we weren't mean to other people and rather accepting considering some of the people. I steered clear of the jerks there and really minded my own business for the most part. I saw a couple of the really nasty girls pictures on myspace and was surprised to see they had gained alot of weight or ended up dropping out of college. I think it catches up to you in the real world rather quickly after high school. Karma is a bitch.

Brittni

Theres lots of cliques, but not necessarily extremely rich mean girls society... if anything, most high school girls are walking around with the fake purses here trying to be like that but they're not LOL.

hr44

I loved my school and atmosphere, it was great! I mean I'm not going to lie and say there weren't (aren't) cliques , that's just a basic reality at that age of wanting to fit in somewhere.
But those movies over dramatize everything! Bitches are not that crazy in real high schools. =)

rbella

Woo Hoo there were some major bitches in my school....and I was one of them!!! Just Kidding.

The girls in my school weren't super rich or anything, just bitchy if you weren't in their "group". Luckily, I got along with most people so I didn't catch too much cattiness...

Mizz.Yasmine

theres groups of bitchy/nasty girls in every hs i think lol mine had that group i know. theres always the pretty slutty girls who got bad grades and the pretty cheerleaders who had more $$$ and were nasty and stuck-up but got good grades...and ect. lol my hs sucked! nobody drove expensive cars or clicked around in high-heels and sexy dresses though like ud see in a movie.but the attitudes were def there

mizzbeba

There are plenty of cliques that go across the spectrum like in the movies that you have probably watched. I think it's interesting listening to students making comparisons of American vs non-American schools/students. I've had the privilege to talk to immigrant students and when I ask them what they dislike about their transition they usually bring up how shocked they are at the way that some American [maybe just Floridian? I doubt it] students dress and talk to each other/adults.

Funny thing about cliques and crazy bitches is that it doesn't end in high school.

blindpassion

I think it really depends on the school...
I live in Canada and ive definitely seen my fair share of mean girl behaviour
but the mean girls in real life are never glamorous like the movies make them out to be
they are mostly just fake.

KikiB

My high school wasn't exactly like that. It wasn't a case of everybody was friends but there was one smaller group of mean girls but they weren't the most popular. I definitely had a lot of people who hated me because I was not about to let anyone walk over me, but it wasn't as bad. Definitely I live in a richer-than-most area, a lot of kids got new cars for their 16th, you'd see tons of Coach and LV bags and designer jeans. But the fashion sense was definitely casual, ie jeans, North Face jackets, and Birkenstocks. We weren't a school where if you weren't on cheer and such, you weren't popular. Anybody could do anything, we were a very artsy school in a way.

*Stargazer*

I went to a really affluent high school. There were so many of us that it just wasn't possible for there to be a group of kids that was just mean and nasty. Everybody just kinda did their own thing. I really enjoyed high school.

vocaltest

thank you so much for replying everyone!
i know it sounded like a silly question and i know in reality its not as bad as in the movies, but i thought there must be some kinda truth in it because they can't just completely make it up!! i guess yeah there are cliques in every school to some extent! but thank you everyone!

x-ivy

well i live in Canada
and my high school is definately not like Mean Girls or anything like that...
Don't get me wrong, there are the "bitches" cllique that everybody pretends to like, but secretl hates though.

Evey

there were cliques in my high school but it was never like they made it out to be in the movies....girls acted like bitches but eh...i never paid them any attention. I had my own set of friends and it's almost like they didn't exist...lol