Questions about starting to build a portfolio

ashley8119

Okay, so I'm just starting to build my makeup portfolio. I'm having four girls over next week, I'm doing two at a time, pausing in between to send them over to my friend who is a photographer to take their pictures. I have four models who look radically different from each other:

Model 1: tan, blonde hair, blue eyes
Model 2: filipino, black hair, brown eyes
Model 3: puerto rican/latina, brown hair, brown eyes, androgynously gorgeous (kind of like the late supermodel Gia Carangi)
Model 4: fair, blonde hair, blue eyes, VERY striking features like piercing eyes, long lashes and very full lips

So here are my questions:

When building a portfolio, do you do dramatically different looks?
Or do you keep a 'theme', like, if you specialize in making skin look airbrushed, do you just focus on all the models having amazing skin?
Or do you do a bunch of different looks just to show your entire ability as a makeup artist, rather than focusing on one specialty?

and

As for model #4, I was considering a high fashion/couture look but I'm not sure which type of look I should try:
bronze smokey eyes (to play up her gorgeous blue eyes)
not sure what kind of lip i would do with the bronze eyes
or
dramatic black winged liner and a bold dark cranberry colored lip?

Any help or suggestions for either question ranging from practical answers or suggestions for other makeup looks regarding model #4 would be very much appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance!

laceface

I think you should do a really smokey eye with different shades of brown. I'd go with a pale, nudish pink lip... like MAC Hue. I would tease her hair into kind of a faux hawk.

That would be gorgeous!

th_DANCE.gif

aeni

Keep it easy on yourself and start with clean and VERY simple makeup (you're looking at a full day which can be exhausting). It is much faster this way and a lot of MUAs show their chops moreso in basic beauty. Anyone can pile on eyeshadow and make it look like a mess intentionally. If you're doing 2 looks, maybe do a color showcase on a feature - eyes, lips, cheeks.

Also go to where your photographer is, or have the photographer come to your place to shoot. Be prepped for touchups.

mistella

it depends on what kind of makeup you want to specialize in...

but i would say, keep it clean natural beauty (which is what most people look for in a portfolio anyways). this is the perfect opportunity to do that. if you want to add more high fashion/creative looks to your port set up another shoot another time with one model so you can focus on ONE face & have more creativity, time, etc
winks.gif