Rant....

Jude

I belong to quite a few makeup communities around the net and Specktra holds a special place for me because this is a place where someone can post a look and receive ENCOURAGEMENT and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Unlike other places, it is a great jump off for someone that might be overwhelmed by the frankness of LJ and MySpace.

Lately, I am seeing a few posts where the spirit of the posts are just kinda off, ya know? I am not saying that everyone should just swoon over any and everyone but I do think that if you don't have something nice to say or constructive... shut the hell up. Telling someone that they need a new camera or their makeup is "meh" is rude and immature.

A lot of people come here to learn about color and application. Being shot down from the gate is no way to inspire anyone.. all it does is tear them down and to me, that is not what Specktra is all about. Sorry to get all corny and sh*t!

Yeah.. I know.. Nerd alert
winks.gif

mac_obsession

Word! I concur. I find specktra to be a place that I enjoy way more than mua, lj or anywhere else simply because it is a NICER place to be. I agree 150% with you Jude, people should be nice or shut the hell up!

Jude please dont let it bother you too much cause I luv you and your posts so much and I would hate that haters ran you off...

<3

Jude

I aint going anywhere... haha. I am talking mainly about remarks made regarding some of the other girlie's posts lately. I am not saying the board should be homogenized or a freaking love fest all the time but I genuinely like a lot of the girls here and ya know what, say something mean to one of them and I am going to say something back. Just my nature. I dont want to start trouble or a fight but really now... lol

Jennifer Mcfly

I totally agree, there is a difference between Constructive Criticism and being down right rude! It takes guts to post pics and ask for help when you are just starting out, so be nice.
As they always say:

You get more with Honey then with Vinegar!!!

:loveya:

mac_obsession

Jude, I feel you...150% like I said before..And it is being adressed, I am just waiting on a response from the admin and other mods. I dont think this is the place for trolls to wreak havoc and hurt peoples feelings. If they want to do that they can goto beautybash or mua or anywhere other than here.

On a personal side we are a lot alike. I have no tolerance for ignorance or rudeness...I addressed this so it doesnt escalate to the point where people have to be banned or "made to be quiet" but trolling is just disgusting.

user2

Hey DSG I know what you're talking about!
Today I posted my infamous rainbow fotd http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44...nG/rainbow.jpg in a german forum and a couple of minutes later someone asked me if there's carnival again! And I just thought Dave Chappell-ish "Shut the f**k up!!" HE (!!!) obviously couldn't imagine how much time and effort I put in this one!!

mac_obsession

After stating my point, I just want to remind everyone that there is an ignore function located in your user cp, or if you click on the offensive persons name you can add them to your ignore list
smiles.gif

Janice

Specktra is not the community for you if you enjoy criticizing with no constructive comment to help the poster improve their technique. We are a very supportive community, and I would rather have members that share and enjoy this philosophy.

I would like to remind everyone that you can ignore any user at any time by clicking on their profile and following the "Add this user to your ignore list" link.

exodus

I've been to a few online boards and the reason why I keep coming back here (I now spend quite a significant amount of time here) is because everyone is so nice and supportive. We're all here because of love of makeup and that's all there is to it. Other boards I've been to had people that think saying "No offense, but that looks butt ugly" is okay and funny. Thankfully I haven't seen any of that BS here and I hope I never will. I'm all for freedom of speech, but really, people who only have rude and inconsiderate comments should just keep it to themselves. It does noone any good to be mean.

banana

I am not sure which posts you are referring to but keep in mind that by posting pics you are opening yourself to criticism. Wouldn't you rather have a bit of honesty? It's kind of like when someone tell you that you have spinach between your teeth, you appreciate it right? I mean it's all about balance, being rude about it is unacceptable but people shouldn't post pics of themselves only to receive compliments. It's not healthy and a really fake way to feel good about yourself.

user4

girlies... thanks for the support on my page... i didnt wanna make a big deal out of it cuz i didnt know how the girl meant it but thanks for being so sweet. i dont mind constructive criticism at all... i feel like i thrive from it. that's why i've gotten better since i joined this forum (at least i think i have).... i would rather someone tell me that it's not that great and tell me what i can do to improve it that tell me it looks great when it doesnt. but it does kind of bother me a little when people say they dont like it but that's it.

Shawna

Quote:
Originally Posted by banana
I am not sure which posts you are referring to but keep in mind that by posting pics you are opening yourself to criticism. Wouldn't you rather have a bit of honesty? It's kind of like when someone tell you that you have spinach between your teeth, you appreciate it right? I mean it's all about balance, being rude about it is unacceptable but people shouldn't post pics of themselves only to receive compliments. It's not healthy and a really fake way to feel good about yourself.

I agree with you, after all, constructive criticicm is how we learn, and I'm all for pointing out when someone has spinach in their teeth (cause it's usually me) but the posts in question were simply rude and not helpful in the least. If you don't like it, fine, but at least say what you don't like about it so we can learn. That's what the FOTD's are about - appreciating beauty and learning how other people have achieved it.

mac_obsession

There is a diffference between constructive criticism and just being rude and mean. I cannot stress this enough. There is also a difference in being brutally honest and honestly brutal.
Looking for feedback on a certain look or style is not fishing for compliments. It is asking for feedback whether bad or good, it isnt asking to be flamed or bashed.
People need to learn where the line is and not to cross it. If its seen, it will be dealt with. There is no reason for people to be mean or crass or rude. This are places for that like beautybash not specktra.net.

Demosthenes

Specktra is my favorite FOTD community because of the posters here.
ssad.gif
So far, it seems like it's just one person thankfully. Everyone else here is always very sweet and helpful.

SugarAsh182

I don't know what happened (I've been kinda busy), but I only hope that it's not going to happen all the time, because this is why I rarely post pics on other message boards anymore.

I came to Specktra because people on other boards were saying extremely rude comments about my eyes themselves. Now if that's being honest (to the girl who said that we all just want compliments), then I guess I'd rather have people keep that to themselves. I post pics of my make up and I'd like to be criticized on that.... not on my eyes, which I cannot help and I think they're beautiful in a unique way. I don't post on here to receive compliments, but I don't want to receive ignorant comments regarding my looks.

I don't know if what was said here was personal or anything... or just about make up... but either way being rude shouldn't be tolerated here. I love it here at Specktra because I feel like I can come here and share my love of make up without worrying about what mean things are going to be posted about me. I do take constructive criticism, but I won't take rudeness. I really don't want to stop posting here too

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarAsh182

I don't know if what was said here was personal or anything...

It wasn't, and don't worry you have absoloutly no reason to be worried about posting your pictures. I would never allow anyone to be nasty for no reason to the members here, and the staff has been informed on how to handle those situations if I'm not around.

SugarAsh182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
It wasn't, and don't worry you have absoloutly no reason to be worried about posting your pictures. I would never allow anyone to nasty for no reason to the members here, and the staff has been informed on how to handle those situations if I'm not around.

*whew* Thank you Janice!
smiles.gif
Sorry, I guess I got a little worked up lol.

Dreamergirl3

I whole heartedly agree.

I definately agree with everything you girls are saying...the family like atmosphere of specktra is what made me want to become a member. Not many forums, especially makeup forums, are too keen on giving constructive criticism. It kind of hurts me as well, since I'm a new member and I dont want people thinking that a "newbie" is just here to troll around and give half assed comments. Some of us are nice, I swear!
My support goes out to all the girls on the receiving ends of these negative comments, and as well to those willing to stick up for them and those willing to try and stop this.
Did I mention I love this place? ^_^

exodus

OMG Ash, if you get nasty comments like that, there's no hope for the rest of us. Rest assured, you are gorgeous and your eyes are beautiful and unique. Not only that, you're very talented with makeup and you're such a lovely darling girl. Those people must be jealous of you and your Kate Bosworth eyes, so they're nasty because of the sour grapes. Oh those grapes must be damn sour lol. Don't let it get to you. You know you're a gorgeous, wonderful girl
smiles.gif

So please don't stop posting your pics! I really enjoy your FOTDs and I get so much inspiration from them. So much so that I've spent a fortune on ebay lately trying to get my hands on stuff that you show on your FOTDs, like Gaze and Pink Grapefruit lipglasses. If anything, watermark your pics so that jealous people can't steal them and claim them as their own!

Sorry for the long post, I just had to let you know how much you're loved, Ash
smiles.gif
Okay that sounds wrong. I swear I'm straight (happily married, in fact) and not stalker material!