Rare original Silver frost is being faked now too?

halocaustic

MAC PIGMENT - SILVER - BNIB - 7.5g on eBay, also, Eye Shadow, Make-Up Cosmetics, Health Beauty (end time 18-Jul-08 18:21:14 BST)

This looks a bit dodgy to me.
The bottom label doesn't look right at all - any Silver pigment I have ever owned had a Silver label and not a clear one and isn't the batch number wrong? Wasn't Silver discontinued well before 2005?

Great, now they're moving on to the genuinely rare ones.

The price is a dead giveaway too
ssad.gif

redambition

Silver is currently available as a pro colour.

With that in mind - it is possible that this is a real item and not counterfeit.

Now in terms of this particular jar and seller? I can't tell whether this is real or not, sadly the lid isn't featured in any of the photos. However, one of the pro pigments this seller has does have what looks like a frosty sticker. I'll leave it for some of our pigment experts to take a look at these auctions.

halocaustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition

With that in mind - it is possible that this is a real item and not counterfeit.

Now in terms of this particular jar and seller? I can't tell whether this is real or not, sadly the lid isn't featured in any of the photos. However, one of the pro pigments this seller has does have what looks like a frosty sticker. I'll leave it for some of our pigment experts to take a look at these auctions.

I'm pretty well clued up on pigments myself ;P

The silver pro is a metal pigment. A very finely milled, almost powdery finish. This one is a frost finish pigment and it's darker than the silver metal pigment, leading me to believe that it's meant to be a fake of the original frost.

I have both the silver pro metal and the original silver frost and this one looks nothing like the silver metal.

halocaustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegreen
They also changed their ID which is a huge red flag to me when dealing with ebay.

Yes, and looking at her previous auctions she has been selling some terrible fakes.

I've seen how the fakes have changed over the years and know what the characteristics of each run of fakes are mostly (I wrote one of the 'how to spot a fake pigment guides') but I haven't yet seen a fake of the original silver frost. Well...I've seen the crappy old ones which weren't labelled like real pigments and screamed fake, but this one is reminiscent of the last run of pro fakes with the packaging being very close.

Makes me wonder if there's an even newer run of updated fakes now?

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition

Actually halocaustic is right - this is a FAKE silver frost pigment. I have both the silver metal and frost pigments as well
winks.gif
The Silver frost version was Dcd back in 2003 so you are thinking of the current METAL version of the same named Silver pigment, and this one is not a metal pigment pictured.
I know this one is a fake - some bojo tried to sell me one on AU ebay of the same make a few months back. Its the wrong texture AND wrong colour, the sticker and fonts are wrong as well - so is the batch number. Like I said the frost version was Dcd in 2003 - the batch on this says A75.

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by halocaustic
I'm pretty well clued up on pigments myself ;P

The silver pro is a metal pigment. A very finely milled, almost powdery finish. This one is a frost finish pigment and it's darker than the silver metal pigment, leading me to believe that it's meant to be a fake of the original frost.

I have both the silver pro metal and the original silver frost and this one looks nothing like the silver metal.

While the texture would be a good clue, you can't rely on the colour in the photo as a reliable indicator of the colour of the pigment. This is especially true of ebay photos where the seller often isn't necessarily trying to get the colour as accurate as possible, but rather get a good shot of the product they are selling.

thanks for clarifying on the metal pigment part as well!
smiles.gif

panda0410

Quote:
Originally Posted by halocaustic

Makes me wonder if there's an even newer run of updated fakes now?

The last two fakes I got scared me enough to stop buying off ebay altogether (excluding rares and off persons known to me). The Chatruese was in a real jar and box - the pigment was horribly wrong, but on the basis of packaging there is NO WAY you could have known....

I happen to agree - there IS a new run of updated fakes and the only comment I have is this - DO NOT buy reg/pro colours off ebay and be VERY CAREFUL with LE/Dcd colours.....
thmbdn.gif

Xqueeze_me

Agreed, halocaustic! The label on the bottom of the jar is quite similar to the fake PRO pigments, especially with the fonts.

EDIT: Just checked her feedback and listings, she's a counterfeit seller. Looking at the Basic Red texture is more than enough but the label on the bottom of the jar is almost the same with the authentic ones. Also MAC NEVER had any "Baby Pink" or "Amber Shimmer" pigments.

halocaustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
The last two fakes I got scared me enough to stop buying off ebay altogether (excluding rares and off persons known to me). The Chatruese was in a real jar and box - the pigment was horribly wrong, but on the basis of packaging there is NO WAY you could have known....

I happen to agree - there IS a new run of updated fakes and the only comment I have is this - DO NOT buy reg/pro colours off ebay and be VERY CAREFUL with LE/Dcd colours.....
thmbdn.gif

Yeah, that is worrying.
It used to be that the rarer ones would normally be authentic, probably because the fakers didn't even know they existed. I guess they're doing their research now!

Shall we place bets on whether Turquoise, Green or Mustard will be next one to surface?
winks.gif