Russian Red vs Ruby Woo?

Meisje

Yesterday I picked out Ruby Woo at a MAC store --- I wanted a bright, tomato warm, true red. I got home and instead, I was given Russian Red.

I have really deep purply-fuschia lips, so they tend to make colors appear cooler and deeper. Tomato red is the most flattering on me. I know that even though I haven't touched the Russian Red, it will be hurled in a bin if I return it.

My question is: Do you think I will be happy with the Russian Red? Should I get Ruby Woo as well? Do they wear that differently to warrant having both?

Anyone with swatches, especially lip swatches, of the two --- fire away!

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisje
My question is: Do you think I will be happy with the Russian Red? Should I get Ruby Woo as well? Do they wear that differently to warrant having both?

Anyone with swatches, especially lip swatches, of the two --- fire away!

I have both.
I think if you wear red a lot, you will definitely use both! Maybe you could do a Back to MAC exchange for Ruby Woo, if that would make you feel better.
Texture:
The matte textures are similar; don't even think of going near either of these if you're not armed with lip balm. Both of these wear well, and leave a stain. Make sure your lips are smooth and not dried out.
Color:
Both are a deep red, but Ruby Woo "reads" more true red to me. I'm NW15, by the way.
Russian Red is so deep and blue-based that it comes out almost maroon on me.
Ruby Woo is a "holly berry" red, a Christmas red, while Russian Red is more of an "autumn" deep deep red.
You can wear Cherry pencil with either, though with Russian Red I prefer Red Enriched Cremestick.
I wish I had swatches, but I don't.
Hope the information helps, though!

Meisje

Thanks, that was a lot of help! I really appreciate it.

I'm very pale, too, and not shy about wearing bright lips. Knowing that it would be chucked if I took it back, I tried Russian Red anyway (with Cherry lipliner). I really liked it! It's definitely a blue-red, and deeper than Ruby Woo, but it looks quite nice. It's probably not as flattering on me as RW would be, but it doesn't look bad at all and the color itself is great. And it got a lot of attention --- an Italian man twice my age accosted me in a cafe and tried to buy me lunch.

It wore nicely, too. I touched it up twice during the day. The lipliner kept it from feathering.

I do wish I had Ruby Woo as well, and I think I'm going to get that as well, later. I love red lipsticks.

MzzRach

cno64 gave great descriptions! If you are a red lipstick lover, you may get a lot of use out of both. They are both so gorgeous and classic, IMHO. I'm also a fan of Enriched Red cremestick liner. I'm NW20, for reference.

Susanne

I love Russian Red, also with l/g Russian Red over it! I am NW 20 in winter, NC 25/30 in summer.

LMD84

see i have ruby woo because for me that is a classic looking red lipstick
smiles.gif
it's bright, matte and lasts ages on the lips
smiles.gif
i don't have russian red but from looking at swatches they are different enough to own both
smiles.gif

Meisje

I looked at some more swatches and I'm thinking that Lady Danger might be even more tomato-red than Ruby Woo.

I think I'm just going to take my drugstore lippie in to match it. I love the color of it but the forumla can't hold a candle to MAC.

cno64

Quote:

I'm very pale, too, and not shy about wearing bright lips. Knowing that it would be chucked if I took it back, I tried Russian Red anyway (with Cherry lipliner). I really liked it! It's definitely a blue-red, and deeper than Ruby Woo, but it looks quite nice. It's probably not as flattering on me as RW would be, but it doesn't look bad at all and the color itself is great. And it got a lot of attention --- an Italian man twice my age accosted me in a cafe and tried to buy me lunch.

It wore nicely, too. I touched it up twice during the day. The lipliner kept it from feathering.

I do wish I had Ruby Woo as well, and I think I'm going to get that as well, later. I love red lipsticks.

I like Red Enriched liner with Russian Red, but it sounds like you're doing great with Cherry.
You may want to get a taser before you go out of the house wearing Ruby Woo, judging from the reaction you got wearing Russian Red.
eeksign.gif

I think you'd also like Rapturous Mattene, if you can find it.

cno64

Quote:
I looked at some more swatches and I'm thinking that Lady Danger might be even more tomato-red than Ruby Woo.

Yes, Lady danger is brighter than Ruby Woo.
Lady Danger is a super bright, Technacolor "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" kind of red.
While it's a matte, the color is very different from that of either Ruby Woo or Russian Red.
Lady Danger has an orangey/coral undertone, but that undertone is not all that strong.

Shadowy Lady

I personally prefer Ruby Woo. I went it to get Russian Red but the MA said I should try Ruby Woo as well and I fell in love! I would say Ruby Woo is more retro red. It's my fave red ever and I'm also a fellow red lips lover (I own 10 red lipsticks).

I'm NW25 in sff for reference

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowy Lady
I personally prefer Ruby Woo.
I'm NW25 in sff for reference

I own both Russian Red and Ruby Woo, and I wear Ruby Woo much more often.

I also own the following MAC reds:
Powerhouse
Rapturous
Classic Dame
Queen's Sin
Ladybug
Port Red
Tassel
Glam
M.A.C. Red
Berry Boost
Rocker
So Scarlet

I'll probably add Brave Red eventually, just because ...
nonono.gif

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by cno64
I own both Russian Red and Ruby Woo, and I wear Ruby Woo much more often.

I also own the following MAC reds:
Powerhouse
Rapturous
Classic Dame
Queen's Sin
Ladybug
Port Red
Tassel
Glam
M.A.C. Red
Berry Boost
Rocker
So Scarlet

I'll probably add Brave Red eventually, just because ...
nonono.gif

You are almost as bad as me
tong.gif
I own:

- Ruby Woo
- So Scarlet
- Rougette matten
- Port Red
- Liza Red
- Powersuite mattene
- Red Pepper
- Swelter slimshine

Then i have Nars Dragon Girl and Afghan Red as well. Red lips are the best!

cno64

Quote:
You are almost as bad as me
tong.gif
I own:

- Ruby Woo
- So Scarlet
- Rougette matten
- Port Red
- Liza Red
- Powersuite mattene
- Red Pepper
- Swelter slimshine

Then i have Nars Dragon Girl and Afghan Red as well. Red lips are the best!

Well, I can't let myself be outdone!
winks.gif

I neglected to mention that I own, in addition to the reds I listed in my earlier post, Rougette Mattene and NARS Red Lizard.
I actually bought Swelter Slimshine, but ended up giving it away because it wasn't red enough for me.
And does Wild 'bout You count as a red?

Shadowy Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by cno64
Well, I can't let myself be outdone!
winks.gif

I neglected to mention that I own, in addition to the reds I listed in my earlier post, Rougette Mattene and NARS Red Lizard.
I actually bought Swelter Slimshine, but ended up giving it away because it wasn't red enough for me.
And does Wild 'bout You count as a red?

call it even?
th_shake2.gif
hehe! Swelter is good for a hot summer day. It's not very red but I do wear it a lot on the summer. Rougette mattene is awesome, it's similar to So Scarlet. I might need Nars Red Lizard. They make awesome red lipsticks

cno64

Quote:
call it even?
th_shake2.gif
hehe! Swelter is good for a hot summer day. It's not very red but I do wear it a lot on the summer. Rougette mattene is awesome, it's similar to So Scarlet. I might need Nars Red Lizard. They make awesome red lipsticks

Swelter is a beautiful kind of watermelon red/pink, but I knew I wouldn't wear it very much, so I passed it along to a friend who has brown eyes and more neutral skin than I(NW15, bright green eyes).
She LOVES it, and it looks wonderful on her!
I don't wear NARS much because their lipsticks seem drier than MAC's, and have a kind of crayon-like smell/taste.
My HG red lipstick will probably always be MAC's Powerhouse, lamentably discontinued.
cry.gif

GlamQueen21

The only red lipstick that I own is Kanga Rouge and I have been eyeing on Russian Red l/s for a very long time! Also, Ruby Woo sounds interesting! I do need to join the red lipstick bandwagon lol

kabuki_KILLER

I'm more of a dark red lips fan. I like shades like Diva and Viva Glam 1 and 3.

I have light, yellowish skin and I think Russian red is a blue-toned true red while Ruby woo is slightly more brown. If you're looking for a tomato red, neither would be your pick. Try Lady Danger. I love this color. It's so smokin, but it makes all the flaws on my face pop out even more. Guh.

Latest posts