Sephora Friends & Family 2013

DILLIGAF

I've decided to return my Hourglass palette and exchange it for the Laura Mercier palette. I like the Hourglass palette but I don't love it. I've got enough sitting around here that barely gets used. I think the LM palette will definitely get used more.

DeeDee2013

Really! I haven't used mine to form any conclusions. But I think you'd definitely use the LM palette. My favorite colors thus far are African Violet(lid) and Plum Smoke (transition) and Violet Ink in the outer v.

DILLIGAF

Really! I haven't used mine to form any conclusions. But I think you'd definitely use the LM palette. My favorite colors thus far are African Violet(lid) and Plum Smoke (transition) and Violet Ink in the outer v.
I love purples for the eyes. This palette seems to have some beautiful ones.

cocodivatime

I've decided to return my Hourglass palette and exchange it for the Laura Mercier palette. I like the Hourglass palette but I don't love it. I've got enough sitting around here that barely gets used. I think the LM palette will definitely get used more.
Mind sharing what you didn't love? Did it give you the effect that you desired? I'm NC44/ MUFE 173 and worried about it not showing up

BabyDzz

Ha ha....I didn't see your post. I think you need both palettes.
Well this post is no help. Lol. I can only buy one. Your post above mine helps though, a palette with both shimmery shades and mattes sounds wonderful. Decision made! Thanks Dee Dee. Maybe Ill get the Laura Mercier one later...

GoldenGirl

I returned the ambient lighting palette as well. I just couldn't justify the cost for something that I thought didn't really do much for me.

diamonddiva

I returned the ambient lighting palette as well.  I just couldn't justify the cost for something that I thought didn't really do much for me.
Hmmm. I'm glad I read this thread before purchasing this palette. Do you think Radiant was the best out of the three for WOC though?

DILLIGAF

I returned the ambient lighting palette as well. I just couldn't justify the cost for something that I thought didn't really do much for me.

Agreed!!
Quote: Originally Posted by diamonddiva

Hmmm. I'm glad I read this thread before purchasing this palette. Do you think Radiant was the best out of the three for WOC though?
Radiant is beautiful and most likely the one I would have used the most.

Knope2012

My list has been updated again. I may switch out the brush spray for a nail polish, as I can probably just buy a spray bottle for cheap:

Urban Decay lipstick in Venom
L'Occtaine Hand Cream in Rose Petals
Hourglass Ambient Powder in Diffused
Kat Von D Spellbinding Palette
Urban Decay glide-on pencil in Ozone
Sephora Brush Cleaner
Marc Jacobs Starlet Palette

GoldenGirl

Yes absolutely! I'm considering purchasing just that one during the VIB sale. I did like the palette, I just wasn't in LOVE with it. The powders were very pretty, but they didn't really show up that much on my skin and I didn't see a huge difference. Perhaps I wasn't using the right brush? In any case, I just felt that FOR ME, it wasn't worth the money.

Kaori

The laura mercier palette is more beautiful in person. I've used it several times this week. It reminds me of my lorac unzipped palette. My new obsession is the Smash Box Full Exposure Palette. It's the perfect combination of velvety matte and shimmer shadows and they're all neutrals. I read many grest reviews about Bite lippes and I want to snag a few tarte blushes.
idk, to me bite and kat von d lipsticks feel the same, moisturizing, both have same 'lipstick smell' and both need a lipliner ^^ I don't think they are worth the full price, but their price in sets is great =)

cocodivatime

I've got highlighters I like better and will use more. It will definitely show up on your skintone.

Agreed!!
Radiant is beautiful and most likely the one I would have used the most.

So do you think that Hourglass Ambient powders are skippable for WOC all together or just certain colors? I have MSFs and NARS albatross that I use for highlighting and have been happy with those. But after reading all the chatter about the Hourglass and was thinking that it would do something miraculously "different"

Baby1black

So do you think that Hourglass Ambient powders are skippable for WOC all together or just certain colors?   I have MSFs and NARS albatross that I use for highlighting and have been happy with those.  But after reading all the chatter about the Hourglass and was thinking that it would do something miraculously "different"
You have to think of the ambient powders not as highlighters. Radiant is the only one I believe i could use as a highlighter but the rest I use as powder . I used dim light when I was going to a party last week all of my face and everyone commented at how my skin was glowing within. It all depending on the light you are in. I have so many highlighters but very few powders that I can use all over my face that is why I justified buying it. So if you are looking for a highlighter just buy radiant . Experiment with these at different lighting. I think you might like them.

diamonddiva

The laura mercier palette is more beautiful in person. I've used it several times this week. It reminds me of my lorac unzipped palette. My new obsession is the Smash Box Full Exposure Palette. It's the perfect combination of velvety matte and shimmer shadows and they're all neutrals. I read many grest reviews about Bite lippes and I want to snag a few tarte blushes.
You just sold me on the Smashbox palette!!!

thejwlife

I was considering the Full Exposure or Master Class Palette. Full Exposure looks like the Naked Palettes to me. Do you have either of the Naked palettes? Are they similar?
I have the first LM palette and LOOOVE African Violet. Definitely more purple in this year's palette.