So I dyed the underneath of my hair red using a demi-permanent..

Chelsea

it never faded completely out and went to a light red not too far from my natural color. If I was to do the same color in a permanent shade do you think it would fade out the same eventually??

i dyed the underneath of my hair with that loreal deep red or something. Eventually it fades, now my hair is just kind of a brownish red color. Trying to maintain red hair - not fun IMO!

so_siqqq

Well with permanent dyes the dye basically soaks through the whole hair cuticle so the color becomes less visable as the hair grows. So yes, the color will eventually fade. But it will take much more longer to fade than the semi-permanent dyes.

Shoe Crazy

Red's in general fade very quickly and are a pain to maintain. I should know I have been every shade of red. I started out just doing highlights but within 3 weeks they were gone. So I have had about 4 different shades of red hair color in my hair. I have used semi permanent and permanent and I still have to color my hair every 4-5 weeks. So unfortunately no matter what you do it's going to be how much patience you have in maintaining the color. Good luck I love being red!