Specktra bookmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sound Of Vision

Well, I've got idea...

Since there are so many awesome tutorials and advices, swatches, recommendations etc. etc., could it be possible to have Specktra bookmarks? So we can bookmark all our favorites!

Sometimes I have trouble finding all the stuff I liked (and my Firefox bookmarks are around 990 o_O, and a bit unorganized now...
tong.gif
)

newagetomatoz

That is such a great idea!!! Usually I just add the specific page to My Favorites in my browser, but it is a bit of a hassel to go through that way (well, it takes all of five seconds, but I'm feeling kind of lazy, lol). Just one more reason to never leave Specktra!

lara

if you want additions like this added to Specktra, then please become a Specktra premium member. Good scripting upgrades cost a fair chunk of change, and your donation to Specktra will be sunk straight into maintaining, upgrading and developing the Specktra forums further.
smiles.gif

COBI

I created a separate folder in my "favorites" called Specktra where I bookmark my favorite tuts and FOTDs.

Plus you can "subscribe to this thread" under "thread tools" at the top of each thread, and it will be available for you under your "User CP" (on the side navigation>Subscribed Threads>List Subscriptions). (EDIT: Guess I was typing at the same time CaraAmericana
smiles.gif
)

gigglegirl

The problem with just bookmarking them or whatever is that if for whatever reason those pictures become broken links (ie do not show up anymore) then when you "refresh" to check it out again, it may not show (this also depends on your computer's cache and how much it remembers). So if there are looks/swatches I really love, I'll just save the page. In IE or Firefox or whatever, click File, save page as (and I have a makeup folder). then save. It saves the page as (for example like this one) Specktra bookmarks.html and then there will be a specktra bookmarks folder that includes graphics of the page. Then when you want to look at it again, you just go into your directory, open the html and it'll refresh the page to exactly what it looked like when you saved it.

Sound Of Vision

Ooops, I didn't know this is going to be a thread...
th_dunno.gif

Anyway, I hate when bandwith exceeds, and pictures are gone.
thmbdn.gif
But my laptop is already full and I don't want to clog it even more. And I do have bookmarks folder for beauty and cosmetics only, but this way, I'll ave everything on one place.

I'd gladly donate whenever I can, but I really can't afford for premium membership.
thmbdn.gif
And it would be too bad if bookmarks would be Premium members only option.
ssad.gif

COBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Of Vision
Anyway, I hate when bandwith exceeds, and pictures are gone.
thmbdn.gif

Often pictures are gone because someone removed them from the referenced source. For example, if I "clean up" my photobucket albums and delete items that I've included in posts, those posts will no longer show the pictures. Technically, the source in the post no longer exists.

Even with a bookmark capability within Specktra, you will not have access to complete posts if sources change. So, if your intent is to have a "permanent" access to your favorites, then gigglegirl's suggestion of saving is really the only way to ensure you will be able to see images, etc. at a later time.

On a side note, although I can understand your inability to be a premium member at this time, I don't think it is fair to then say that "upgraded" services should be made available to everyone while essentially Janice and/or premium members should have to pay for it. If it is a matter of an easy "switch", then I can see making it immediately available to everyone. If it is a matter of programming costs, etc., then I think it is fair (at least initially) to make it available to those who made it possible financially.

For me, personally, with all of the current browser-based options for bookmarking (and so much of it being personal preference-based), I would rather see time/money invested in different upgrades.

Sound Of Vision

I know why pictures are gone, whether it's bandwith or broken links. I just mentioned how I don't like when that happens. Only way of saving them is to save whole page, like Gigglegirl said.

And I think it's fair that Premium members have more options than non-premium ones, because they give money to this site. But I thought If it's not complicated and expensive upgrade, it would be great to have it.
I saw less elegant and less well maintained forums have it, so that lead me to conclusion it's nothing expensive or complicated to do. I'm not familiar with website and forum maintenance.

Janice

Please understand Specktra is unique, I don't strive or even have a desire to be like "everybody else". I'm focused on providing visitors solid content.

Members have the option to subscribe to threads. I know this isn't exactly the solution you might have had in mind but it serves the same purpose. There are also many external sites that allow you to save your bookmarks to web so that you can access them from any computer.

I appreciate input and take every single suggestion made into consideration for future upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.