Spychips

SparklingWaves

This is an article titled "When are "spychips" okay?" It was in First Magazine, 11/12/07 issue.

The technology is called radiofrequency identification (RFID), and here's how it words: Each tiny "spychip" is assigned a unique number. When the chip passes an RFID detector, it wirelessly emits the number, but it can yield much more than a string of numbers. In a supermarket savings card, sensors can pick up a chip's signal the moment a shopper enters the store. The store can then instantly cross-reference the chip's serial number with an ever-growing dossier on that person --including the shopper's location and purchasing history.

This individual tracking worries many privacy advocates. A watchdog group in England recently discovered that Gillette tagged thousands of razor packages with RFID chips. When consumers picked up the tagged packages at stores, the chips' movement triggered hidden cameras to snap photos of shopper's faces. This secret surveillance program may have already hit the U.S.

Still, RFID tech. has its supports. At some amusement parks, chip-embedded bracelets linked to credit cards allow visitors to pay for rids & refreshments with a wave of the wrist. And as part of of its homeland security efforts, this year the US Department State began inserting RFID chips in passports, enabling officials to instantly verify a passports holder's name and nationality.

Exactly how much privacy will people give up in the name of convenience & security?

Other uses:

1) To help track a Lost Pet

87% says it's alright

Example: Last spring the North family of Grant, Michigan, received some astonishing news: Their beloved pet beagle, Dillon, who had run away from home two and a half years earlier, had been located by workers at an animal shelter over 20 miles away. The dog's saving grave: an RFID microchip implanted in the skin between his shoulder blades and his back. Once rescuers scanned the chip, they learned the identity of the dog and were able to find his owners.

Pro - "we take our pets to the veterinarians for shots to prevent disease, so why shouldn't we prevent their disappearance with this tiny painless device? So many of our animal companions end up in shelters--or worse--after running away from home. This tech. can save us the heartache of losing our pets too soon." --Barbara,47, Fairfax, VA

Con - "A pet-tracking microchip is a great idea in theory, but think about this: An owner's personal information is linked to it! I'd worry that someone would find or even steal my dog and somehow steal my identity by scanning the chip." --Eva, 35, Kansas City, MO

2) To monitor potentially violent Exes

63 % say it's alright

According to the US Department of Justice, roughly 2 million restraining orders are filed annually primarily by women concerned about a stalker or a disgruntled ex. Now a New York State Assembly bill would require anyone served with a restraining order to wear an RFID tracking device (such as an ankle bracelet) -- and face an immediate felony conviction if caught tampering with it. Some say the spychip-embedded devices would improve protection of abuse victims, but others argue that mandatory RFID bracelets would be a violation of civil liberties since a person can be slapped with a restraining order without being convicted of a crime.

Pro- "Too many women & children are battered every day by violent men. I say to hell with the abusers' civil liberties! Police need to track these brutes and stop them before they strike again."--Brigid, 24, Raleigh, NC

Con-"The same RDIF tech. that IDs a violent predator may be come a tool that stalkers use to follow victims. The chips are a boon to criminals since anyone with a proper reader could figure out how to download a person's private information." --Robin, 40, Hamilton, MT

3) To create personalized bargains

55% say it's alright

Deal hunters in Seattle are signing up for a new advertising program called Omni. After answering a survey regarding their likes & dislikes, participants receive an RFID key fob that interacts with overhead sensors positioned throughout the city. As shoppers go from place to place, public audio announcements and cell-phone text messages address them by name and serve up targeted deals. For example, a coffee drinker might be offered a free latte a the nearest Starbucks.

Pro - "Imagine the Wal-Mart of the future: Your 'smart cart' compliments you on the blouse you bought last month. It suggest you grab some milk because you purchased your last gallon a week ago, then tells you that your favorite brad of shoes is on sale. Soon we'll wonder how we lived without RFID tech!"--Marlene, 38, Cumberland, WI

Con-"Right now you can buy a pair of jeans or a bottle of shampoo with complete anonymity. With RFID tags, everything you own will numbered, identified, cataloged, and tracked. Personal privacy? Gone in a hailstorm of invisible communication. You'll be betrayed by your own property!--Joyce, 29, Palm Bay, Fl

--------

Important Note: Microchips were also discussed in the Real ID thread

theleaningelm

Egads. That's a terrifying thought. I can only see this being a good thing if it were voluntary, like today's shopper savings cards. If you want to give retailers and/or marketers your personal information, so be it, but at least it's of your own volition. What Gillette did there was a violation of consumer trust and protection, plain and simple.
It doesn't help that I'm paranoid about tracking devices being in anyone's hands. They have such...potential to be abused.

On, the flip side, don't they have something like this in Japan, except with cell phones? I think I remember hearing somewhere about cell phones coming with a specially embedded chip/sensor that emitted radio waves. You simply charged your cell phone with moolah, and when you needed to buy something (everything from subway tickets to vending machine candy), you simply waved it in front of a sensor, sorta like a universal passcard, or something. Pretty sweet, in my opinion.

EDIT: Ack! How did I miss that second point? Sixty-three percent of people think it's okay to violate someone's civil liberties because they're not on good terms with them anymore? What is wrong with this picture here?
Also, I can just see all the ways Big Brother could abuse these handy little chips. The Patriot Act comes in such handy at times like these...-__-;;

lainz

i actually think its pretty cool that something can remind you to buy milk or tell you that something you use is on sale.

i have a microchip on my dog and it also helped me find her when she ran away from my house a couple of years ago. it protected her from being adopted out of the shelter she was taken to when i gave them my info. there was a family next to me that were requesting her already!!

SparklingWaves

They ask the question how much privacy are we willing to give up. I think our privacy is being constantly taking away without our knowledge and consent.

redambition

it's funny how people are worried about shopper saving cards having RFID in them. The RFID inclusion would simply make the tracking of purchases and shopper location easier for the stores.

Every time you use one of those cards, it would already add to your purchase history and also note the store where the products were bought. There are also stores over here that sign up customers in a database to track their purchases (eg - Inglot do this over here, to allow the store to check if you already own a certain colour if you can't remember), but this can also be used to create shopper profiles.

If you think about the use of these cards, the use of customer databases and the proliferation of internet shopping then a lot of our purchases are already tracked. every time you order from a website, it's assigned to your login, which in turn is linked to your personal information. you can look up your purchase history on most sites that offer online shopping.

where RFID gets worrying is that it can be used to track someone without their knowledge every time they pass a scanner. if the info being scanned is personal and private, then there is a worry that the info can fall into the wrong hands.

as for the "personalised bargain" concept - schmeh. i hate how ads have become a part of almost everything. you can't turn around without seeing another advertisement. i don't like the idea of having personalised ones broadcast around.

athena123

Oh dear, this is frightening. Even more frightening are all the lugs who think this is OK, without realizing how such technology can be used against you. Sorry, but I don't need some stupid chip to remind me to buy a gallon of milk; If I forget it, that's my bad. I'd rather deal with forgetting to pick up something at the store than live in the same world as "Minority Report" or 1984.

wolfsong

Sorry to hijack this thread, but im having issues with specktra, namely:
I cant see any function buttons (ie to start new threads - reason for the hijacking, quote, edit, thanks buttons etc, all functions on both quick comment and advanced comment), nor can i see any avatars or 'moods', and the section that shows when threads have been added to (left hand side of the screen) is completely gone.

Ive tried private messaging twice but i dont think they got them (they are in my sent box, but i havent had a reply and they were both online - a mod and Janice - when sent).

Does anyone else have this problem? I dont know if its just me (and my internet), or its everyone/international (though surely there would be word about this if its a problem for many).

Thanks in advance for any opinions/suggestions!

Edit: Its all good now, thank you!