the perks of being a wallflower?

ductapemyheartt

i was just wondering how many of you have read the book. i can honestly say it is my favourite book of all time. it is sitting on my nightstand right next to me with ahighlighter on top of it. yes, i highlight my books. lol...i know...weird.

so, if you have read it, or want to, lets talk about it. i was hoping hte subject would catch the eye of people who have read it, so what did everyone think of it?

faifai

Aww, I remember that book, I read it when it first came out and then it became really popular when I was a freshman in high school. I liked it but somehow, the more people read it just to fit in, the less it seemed to mean anything to me personally. The more hyped it got, it was like the message of the book was being cheapened, as if it was suddenly trendy and "in" to be advertise how angsty and confused you were.

This was around the same time that being "indie" and "scene" started to be much cooler than being your typical athlete/cheerleader. I don't know why I react like that to books though, I felt the same when other relatively non-stereotypical books geared towards teens have had tremendous commercial success and suddenly everyone's talking about it.

coachkitten

I have not read the book but I am always looking for new things to read!
smiles.gif
It sounds like something I would like!

ductapemyheartt

Quote:
Originally Posted by faifai
Aww, I remember that book, I read it when it first came out and then it became really popular when I was a freshman in high school. I liked it but somehow, the more people read it just to fit in, the less it seemed to mean anything to me personally. The more hyped it got, it was like the message of the book was being cheapened, as if it was suddenly trendy and "in" to be advertise how angsty and confused you were.

This was around the same time that being "indie" and "scene" started to be much cooler than being your typical athlete/cheerleader. I don't know why I react like that to books though, I felt the same when other relatively non-stereotypical books geared towards teens have had tremendous commercial success and suddenly everyone's talking about it.

i feel the exact same way. i like to read books and listen to music that not many other people do. i read perks about four years ago and now it is super popular.

triccc

I read that years ago because someone recommended it to me, but I didn't like it so much. Maybe because I couldn't really relate to the main character? I thought he was too much of an emotional wreck. And it kind of frustrated me. I dunno.

I know lots of people liked it though.

Sikfrmthemirror

i feel infinite. when their going thru that tunnel and their in the car and morissey is on.

that book is the mecca of all pop fiction.

the poem he wrote about the refrigerator door. and all that great stuff.

i dont see how anybody could not relate to this book.

its got love, and friendships, and secrecy. its what we grew up with and to read that someone understood what growing up was like was pretty awsome.

it was written in the 90s but it only came out in 99. so i dont think that really had to do with being "scene" or "indie". good books just get around. especially books like invisible monsters. people, smart people will actually take the time to read. haha it might as well be this book. its small not to many pages. its a win, win.

Katura

I loved it when I read it. I've read it many times since.
I loved how it was written and I loved the main character.
I introduced my friend to it, who also loved it.

It's def a win win like Sikfrmthemirror said, its a great story and its not ridiculously long.