• As of January 16, 2018, all posts in this section are moderated. Please engage with the community within the rest of the forums, remembering that you may not post your own tutorial links outside this section. Also remember to put your content in the proper space.

Tutorials posted outside this space will be removed. If you post a tutorial in this space and you don't make an effort to participate in the community outside this section, your post will be deleted.

The whole "outer third/outer v" thing? Explain!

PhonyBaloney500

Could someone please explain this concept to me?

When folks say that they applied color to the outer v (or outer third) does that mean you're literally drawing a V shape? (Tried that and it looked funny lol). Are you applying color on the outside LID too or just the crease? How far out should it go? Help!

exodus

That pic really helps
smiles.gif
I'd just like to add that I don't do "outer V" because I don't have much of a crease (Asian eyes, sigh), so it's much more flattering for me (I find, anyway) to do the "outer third", so I put colour on the outer third of my lid rather than just the crease. I think you just need to see which one looks more flattering to the shape of your eyes
smiles.gif
Or, do both!
lol.gif

OliveButtercup

Here are a couple pictures from my tutorial where I applied UD chopper all over the lid and MAC black tied to the outer V (these pics were mid-tutorial)

tutorial020.jpg

tutorial017.jpg

tutorial019.jpg

The colors are still unblended here, so you should easily be able to tell what the outer V is by where the darker color is applied.

HTH!

PhonyBaloney500

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveButtercup
Here are a couple pictures from my tutorial where I applied UD chopper all over the lid and MAC black tied to the outer V (these pics were mid-tutorial)

tutorial020.jpg

tutorial017.jpg

tutorial019.jpg

The colors are still unblended here, so you should easily be able to tell what the outer V is by where the darker color is applied.

HTH!

Thanks that's great.Looks like you only put the dark color above the lid?

PhonyBaloney500

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus
That pic really helps
smiles.gif
I'd just like to add that I don't do "outer V" because I don't have much of a crease (Asian eyes, sigh), so it's much more flattering for me (I find, anyway) to do the "outer third", so I put colour on the outer third of my lid rather than just the crease. I think you just need to see which one looks more flattering to the shape of your eyes
smiles.gif
Or, do both!
lol.gif

Thanks!
smiles.gif

OliveButtercup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosopher
what brushes did you use to achieve the outer v?

Me? I'm using MAC #224 there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuuniie
Is outer V important??
How to brush it?

step by step plzzzz

I usually do small circles up and down in an arc until its blended out.

lsperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katial8r
I found this pic too *credit to Enjoythesilence*
clap.gif
:

607274.jpeg

HTH!

Thanks for posting another great picture!
cheerleader.gif

I printed it to show my friends 'cause they're always confused when I describe what colors are where on my eyes. I also tell them a crease color does not always have to be dark....I've used purple shower, endless love, passionate eye shadows, to name a few as crease colors and they have been so flattering.

It's all about the balance and symmetry you strive to achieve for "your" eye shape. Copying colors combos other people use does not mean you have to use those colors at the same location they used them on their eyes. Your crease color can be their lid color and so on....

Another Janice!

OK...so here is my problem at the moment (wait another moment and I will have a new problem lol)

Can someone show me an open eye with where the crease color should be? My problem is that I think the crease is where I can like put my finger on my closed lid and press down...where I can feel the eye bone with the top tip of my finger and my eyeball with the lower tip.

But when I put the crease color there, 1st, you can't see it unless I have my eye closed, and 2nd, it leaves a really small space where the lid color goes.

Are you supposed to put the color there and then bring it up some? Or is the crease where you look ahead with an open eye and the fold of skin that is right there?

I do have small eyes, but I have seen FOTD's with similar eye shapes that just totally rock.

Ah, I'm a mess. =)

Bre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Janice!
OK...so here is my problem at the moment (wait another moment and I will have a new problem lol)

Can someone show me an open eye with where the crease color should be? My problem is that I think the crease is where I can like put my finger on my closed lid and press down...where I can feel the eye bone with the top tip of my finger and my eyeball with the lower tip.=)

If you wanna cheat, apply your crease colour with your eye open, wedge your brush into the crevice (the pencil brush is best, I forget which number it is - it looks like a pencil) and swipe the brush back and forward through the crevice, blend the colour upward - with a flat brush so you can see it slightly peeking out from the crease. Then close your eye and blend away any harsh lines tht the pencil brush may have made

good luck

iamlelilien

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsperry
I also tell them a crease color does not always have to be dark....I've used purple shower, endless love, passionate eye shadows, to name a few as crease colors and they have been so flattering.

I love the way pinks and reds look just peeking out of the crease.