Tool Time! Brushes, grooming tools and more

katred

Specktra Bestie
I figured it would be good to start a thread just about the tools we use to apply makeup or perfect our look. What are the ones that you can't live without?

Personally, I'm very much in love with the Urban Decay Optical Illusion buffer brush. It gives a wonderful finish to cream products and it's super-soft. Also, the Nars Yachiyo brush is my HG for blush application.

What are your very favourite brushes? What other beauty tools make your life a lot easier?

MissTT

The two brushes I can't live without are:
1) The Urban Decay Optical Blurring brush for foundation. Fast and flawless airbrushed finish. I use it with foundations, primers, BB, and CC creams. I haven't tried using it with powder yet, but may try it with CoverFX Pressed Mineral Foundation when the I get it. I have an extra UD brush so if I love it with the powder foundation, too, I won't have to worry about my brush being damp. This brush works better than my fingers, BeautyBlender, traditional (painter style ) foundation brush, kabuki, and stippling brush for applying foundation.

2) Sephora Airbrush Pro Concealer brush #57. My under eye concealer must have looked awful before I got this brush. This brush can handle thick, pasty correctors as well as light liquid concealers. Uses very little product, but gives incredible coverage. It really changes the concealer game for everyone who uses it. It's like a mini version of the UD brush in build. It's great for the inner corner of the eyes where we tend to get darkness ad well as around the edges of the nose which are also difficult to smooth out. Eliminates redness and darkness (well, the product does, but the brush makes a lot of the magic happen.) This brush works well for highlighting the face as well.

I've tried to think which brush I'd choose if I could only have one and I really get stuck between these two. Today I'm saying the concealer brush b/c I suppose I could eventually do my whole face with it if I needed to. The bristles on both are soft to the touch and firm in density. I've never lost a brush hair. Both dry over night although the foundation brush can be damp if wash it too late like after 10pm. I'd wash both every few days for the best performance.

You've had some great topics, katred, thanks!

shellygrrl

Staff member
BRUSHES! :cheer: Foundation ~ Without a doubt, if I use a brush to apply foundation, it'll be the Sigma F80. I love how it buffs in product and gives me a fantastic finish. :) Concealer ~ I've been using my fingers as of late. When I do use a brush it tends to be the Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush for under the eyes, and the Sigma P82 for blemishes and whatnot. (The P82 is much stiffer than RT one, but they're the same shape.) Eyeshadow ~ I like the MAC 217 as a multi-tasker. I can apply colour without packing it on, and I can blend with it. I also love the Louise Young LY38 for blending. For packing on colour, the MAC 239. For lining the eyes with shadow, Louise Young LY13 or EcoTools angled brush. Brows ~ EcoTools Angled Brush. Though I'm wanting to try something different, like MAC's 263 or 266. Or something else entirely. Powder ~ e.l.f.'s Powder Brush from their Studio range. Blush ~ I recently got the Real Techniques Blush Brush. Mine isn't as tapered as I've seen in photos, but I've really been liking it. (I also like it for applying bronzer.) Another favourite is the Sigma F40. Bronzer/Contour ~ If I want something more diffused, the aforementioned RT Blush Brush. If I want a sharper line, RT's Expert Face Brush. And lord knows there are many a brush I want to try. *nods*

Knope2012

I definitely agree that the UD Optical Illusion and the NARS Yachiyo are awesome brushes. I just got the Yachiyo, but I use the UD brush all the time. I also can't live without the MAC 217, though I'm looking for a fluffier brush for blending.

MoForMakeUp

I am almost scared to post what I am about to post, but I absolutely would not and COULD not live without this brush. It is Kushuk Tools, and Target or not, THIS is one of my HGs.
bigheart.gif

http://www.target.com/p/sonia-kashu...806932#prodSlot=medium_1_10&term=sonia+kushuk

MissTT

How do you use the Kashuk, MoForMakeUp? What makes it so special?

I like the 217 and 239 quite a bit, too. However for blending I've been reaching for my Wayne Goss brushes b/c a) I just got them so I better use them; and b) dark bristles so I don't get skeeved out.

MoForMakeUp

How do you use the Kashuk, MoForMakeUp? What makes it so special?

I like the 217 and 239 quite a bit, too. However for blending I've been reaching for my Wayne Goss brushes b/c a) I just got them so I better use them; and b) dark bristles so I don't get skeeved out.
I use my Kushuk like most people would use their MAC 187. Except, I find that the 187 sheds like a sick animal, and costs twice as much even after my discount. This Kushuk brush has absolutely no shed, wonderful control over coverage (light to full), and is incredibly soft. I honestly cannot say enough nice things about this brush, except I have had two clients try to steal it (not so nice).

P.S. I don't work for Target or Sonia Kushuk-promise

anitacocktail

Foundation: Real Techniques Buffing Brush or Tom Ford 02 Cream Foundation Brush

Blush: Shu Uemura 20h or NARS Yachiyo

Bronzer: Trish McEvoy Bronzer Brush #37 (powder) or MAC 181 (cream)

Contour: MAC 138

Highlighter: MAC 188

Eyes: MAC 224, 242, 219, 217

Setting Powder: Bobbi Brown Bronzer Brush or Laura Mercier Finishing (Loose Powder)

Kaori

I second the UD optical blurring brush, it's great for any foundation.
Other than that one I only have EcoTools brushes and the cute tokidoki and hello kitty brushes and they work pretty well ^^

Kaori

I use my Kushuk like most people would use their MAC 187. Except, I find that the 187 sheds like a sick animal, and costs twice as much even after my discount. This Kushuk brush has absolutely no shed, wonderful control over coverage (light to full), and is incredibly soft. I honestly cannot say enough nice things about this brush, except I have had two clients try to steal it (not so nice).

P.S. I don't work for Target or Sonia Kushuk-promise
Question: Can you use that brush for finishing powder, bronzer, blush, or it's too dense? =)

MoForMakeUp

Question: Can you use that brush for finishing powder, bronzer, blush, or it's too dense? =)
I feel like I read that one of the reviewers used it for that purpose. I personally wouldn't because it is dense for sure! You may end up with A LOT of product. The nice thing is that Target has a display for this particular line and you can feel it out before you buy.

Kaori

I feel like I read that one of the reviewers used it for that purpose. I personally wouldn't because it is dense for sure! You may end up with A LOT of product. The nice thing is that Target has a display for this particular line and you can feel it out before you buy.
thanks! will go and try