What are MAC's policies on working for other cosmetic retailers as well as for them?

JeeJeeAllin

So I'm in the process of interviewing with MAC -- just had a very successful demo interview, yay! -- and I'm starting to think about my future job line up. As it stands, I am a Prestige Consultant at Ulta and a MUA at a local, all-natural nail spa/boutique. While Ulta has strict policies on working for multiple cosmetic retailers, I am allowed to work at this place because it's not considered a conflict of interest (it's a small family owned and operated establishment -- nothing corporate). From what I gathered, MAC starts you out at ~12 hours or as freelance, in which case I would like to keep my boutique job, as I know Ulta would be a big no-no. Do you guys think I would be allowed to keep the job? MAC and this place are totally like apples and oranges, and their makeup line is very minimal... They have only 2 tinted moisturizers, 5 lipstick colors, etc. I live on my own so I absolutely need to have at least 25 hours a week to keep up with my rent payments, and even with that I'm making it by the skin of my teeth. I refuse to leave the makeup industry! Haha.

Any advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)

Anjee

paparazziboy

you would have to leave ulta for sure if u got in with MAC. it would be a conflict of interest many of the other artist i work with have second jobs most are in retail or at restaurants. working at a small boutique im not to sure about i would talk to a manager and see what would be best.

Chrystia

The biggest distinction for makeup jobs is whether you are selling cosmetics. If part of your salon/boutique job involves selling the products it would be considered a conflict of interest. Unfortunately I don't think you would be able to work as a permanent employee at MAC and maintain your other position.

As a freelancer there is sometimes more flexibility. Technically you are only supposed to freelance for estee lauder companies, but sometimes they are willing to make exceptions. I did this when I first started at MAC the first time around. I worked as an artist for a local salon, but freelanced for MAC. Once I was made a permanent employee though I did have to leave the salon.