What are my chances ? Please help.

3emeSexe

i'm a seventeen year-old senior in highschool and i'm vying to become a MAC artist at the local counter. i plan to apply after i turn 18, which is in October.
here's a little BG info... i live in a very small town(in CA), so although i have been applying everywhere weekly, it's nearly impossible to find a job out here... needless to say one that is in retail. and to my knowledge, experience in retail is the most important factor in scoring a job with MAC cosmetics. i do not have a car at the moment due to insufficient funds, so commuting out of the city to increase my chances of getting a job isn't an option for me.
i have only had one job before, and this was when i was 15, almost 16. i hosted at a friend's sister's bar/restaurant. so i do have experience in working with a variety of people. i do have a thorough knowledge of the MAC product line, and i am experienced with make-up application. i hope to finish compiling my portfolio by the end of summer.

SO MY QUESTION IS..
in spite of that fact that i have zero experience in retail, if i provide a very well put together portfolio, what are my chances of being considered qualified to work for MAC ?

gildedangel

It completely depends on the counter you are applying for and how many other people may be vying for the job too. I would say that a good portfolio and some experience working with people will put you in the running for the job. If you don't get the job don't be discouraged, it does not mean that you are not talented and qualified for the position, I know people who were more than qualified and didn't get it, and I know people who should not have gotten the job who got it. Just keep reapplying for it and continue your MA work and search for another job. Good luck!