What can you tell me about living in California?

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsnowwhite
hahaha yeah i get that alot too they will be like omg youre from oc and its like uhh yeah...

"Oh yeah totally....WE ALL drive Land Rovers here, live in houses made of marble..and we definitely only have party's on large Yachts."

Back to topic - What kind of business is your husband going to open over here in the CA ? If you don't mind me asking

Don't get me wrong, California is amazing. Sun,sun,sun. Our hillsides have a tendency to slide around though, so if you buy a house beware if its surrounding hills!

nics1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelove4tequila
I miss California!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man !!!! Dont I know what you mean !! I miss California too... BAD !!!!

MxAxC-_ATTACK

you know.. I have lived here my whole life, and aside from its lack of rain, California is an amazing place to live.

Everyone I know (I live near a navy base, so I make a lot of friends from out of state) Hates it here, all they do, all day, every day, is talk about how much they hate California, and I kind of figured its because its not their home, its not what they are accustomed to.

a few complaints I hear A LOT

" Californians drive to fast!" We have places to go and people to see! Get outta the way!

" Things are too expensive" ..yes well.. live with it, everything is expensive here.

" There's no Hardees" .. ITS the same thing as CARLS JR, GET OVER IT!!!

annnnd everyone knows.. happy cows come from California. stop arguing with me.
rofl.gif

d_flawless

i've lived in northern california (east bay) most of my life but i also have lived near san diego, which is almost about as south as you can get in cali. but i'm biased and think the bay area is one of the best placest i've ever been to, so...
what i love about the bay area:
-good transportation (muni, bart, caltrans, whatever)
-diverse. we have every culture which means art, theatre, food, music, etc, obviously this is in most major cities as well, but i've traveled to quite a few big U.S. cities (austin, seattle, new york city, honululu, las vegas, phoenix, los angeles, chicago, etc.) and the bay area is definitely the most diverse...they're always something going on and i think it's a cool place for a liberal perspective.
- mild weather. aside from the demographics, the climate is diverse as hell even from san jose to the east bay (san jo is hotter by like 10 degrees most days), east bay to san francisco (it's windier in the city, and obviously more foggy...it's what they're known for), and even from district to district in the city (the sunset, near ocean beach opposite the bay bridge is always foggy and literally 10-15 degrees colder than downtown, which tends to be really sunny and nice), of course there's marin county and the peninsula, etc. but it's spare you the weather report, haha...anyway, it's doesn't snow and doesn't get crazy humid, so it's nice if you're steering away from more extreme climate changes seasonally
-good schools. cal berkeley, stanford, USF, UCSF, SFSU, st. mary's, santa clara, etc...i go to the sfsu and it's actually quite affordable for in-state residents, though going up every year (UGH) but yeah, education is highly valued and it's readily available.
-proximal to silicon valley for jobs, though obviously there's the financial district in s.f., and we have a decent economy. i don't think we have crazy unemployment either, and finding a job would probably be pretty easy.
-it's relatively safe. oakland has a high crime rate, but not in all parts. and most of the city is pretty safe, too. all surrounding areas are mostly suburban and would be appropriate for child-raising.
cons
-it's damn expensive and if you're not used to paying $2000+ on rent for like a studio (this is more in the city, it's cheaper by like $500-$700 in the other surrounding cities), then this will be a pain in the ass. higher cost of living though luckily means more pay though, and i think minimum wage is like $10 or something near...highest nat'l average, i think
-BAD drivers. seriously. it's true, we drive horribly, but the good thing about driving in nor cal is traffic is nowhere nearly as bad as so cal, where you'll be in traffic for an hour like every day, just running errands.

i swear i'm on a tangent but can't remember what else i was gonna say...but i love the bay area, obviously!

threelittlebirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode to Joy
my dream is to move to cali one day but I am afraid of earthquakes...
th_crazy2.gif

Don't let that stop you! Natural disasters happen everywhere and the earthquake-less moments will be well worth it.
smiles.gif

threelittlebirds

I moved to California from Hawaii 9 years ago when I was 16. Initially, I was devastated but this place has seriously grown on me. I've lived in both Northern Cal and SoCal, and while they are like two completely different states, each has its ups and downs.

There is SO much diversity here, great food, great weather and I think the people can be pretty nice once you get past the superficial layer (in SoCal more so..haha).

There are sooo many awesome places to drive -- If you live in SoCal, you can take weekend trips to Vegas, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Palm Springs. In Northern Cali, you can drive to Tahoe, Napa Valley, San Francisco. There are amusement parks for the children, AWESOME shopping, the beach and I will mention once again how great the food is!

Good luck with your move and hope you enjoy it out here!

banjobama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
you know.. I have lived here my whole life, and aside from its lack of rain, California is an amazing place to live.

Everyone I know (I live near a navy base, so I make a lot of friends from out of state) Hates it here, all they do, all day, every day, is talk about how much they hate California, and I kind of figured its because its not their home, its not what they are accustomed to.

oh.gif
t:
I live near the navy base here in Washington and I hear the same complaints!!!

*It's cold. (Maybe compared to Cali!)
*It rains too much. (thats how all the trees grow!)

I don't feel sorry for them. What did they expect joining the military/marrying someone in the military? You're gonna be moving!

banjobama

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_flawless
i think minimum wage is like $10 or something near...highest nat'l average, i think

I'm 99.9% sure Oregon has the highest minimum wage, and Washington is second.

SweetCheeks

Thanks everyone for the input! We won't move before next year sometime, but we're going to be visiting soon so I can't wait.

Ms.Amaranthine

Quote:
" There's no Hardees" .. ITS the same thing as CARLS JR, GET OVER IT!!!

Who cares about Hardees! In this part of the country we have In-N-Out!

As for California, yeah. It's all right. Not for me. Too busy, too many people. But, I know a lot of people that absolutely love it! It is very diverse. Things that are taboo in other places are commonplace in California. I wouldn't mind living in NorCal, it's pretty, but SoCal? No thanks.

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode to Joy
my dream is to move to cali one day but I am afraid of earthquakes...
th_crazy2.gif

They're better than hurricanes! or tornadoes which are pretty much guaranteed to happen Once a year.

Besides we only experience bad earthquakes once every.. 10+ years or so (the last major one here was 1994) . and IMO They are awesome!

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Amaranthine
Who cares about Hardees! In this part of the country we have In-N-Out!

Thats true! but ever since In & out changed their recipes they are
puke.gif

Ms.Amaranthine

Quote:
Thats true! but ever since In & out changed their recipes they are
puke.gif

When did they change? I haven't been in a year or more. Dieting! But, at least I have my memories of real food.