what is college, anyway?

laurenmo88

im a freshman but my parents are always saying i need to get focused on college - yesterday i was practicing driving and i confessed to my mom that i dont even want to go to college and she said she understood, that im not "traditional"

i'm interested in makeup and music
i play bass and put makeup on
so, where does this leave me? what is college, anyway?

i feel like a loser sometimes...please help me out to better understand what i should be having goals for my after high-school life

Hawkeye

Well college isn't for everybody. I know I personally like to tell people (as I have seen this true) that it is getting harder and harder for people to get a job without a degree or some training in a specialized field (Plumbing etc).

College is a wonderful thing. It can open your mind up to so many things it's not funny. I mean it's a WHOLE different world (and much better!) than highschool!

My advice to you would be to just try it for a year and get into classes you may be interested in. You like bass-try to get into a music appreication class or an Art Class.

Once you get that lower level thing out of the way you can open up to more classes that are more entertaining
smiles.gif

If after a year you decide you hate it then stop going.
smiles.gif

Or if you really dont want to go to college try to go into a trade school at least for cosmetology or something like makeup you may be interested in.

OR take a year off and find ajob and see how you like it.

I know for me the reason I'm in school is because I took a year off and am working at home depot. I dont want to be there for the rest of my life but no one else will hire me (unless it's retail or a fast food joint) and I don't want to do that. BUT in your area it may be different.

So it's totally up to you. HTHS

Pink_minx

I totally agree with youbeabitch. Most businesses require you to have a degree from college it doesnt matter what major you are in as long as you have a degree from a 4 year college. I mean if you want to do something with music and make up you can go to a beauty school and some music school at least.

jeannette

I agree with youbeabitch. College (or university, as we call it here) is very fun because you get to learn a lot- it's very very very different from high school. I felt I've changed and learnt a lot these 4 years. I'm in my last semester and I know I'm going to miss school. Give college a shot, maybe one year or so. If not, do take a look at institutions which offer training in some kind of expertise, like cosmetology school or an art school, or music, which you are interested in.

Chelly

college is one thousand times different from highschool. besides you can go to an "artsy" school that specializes in what you do. i met a woman on my way to work the other day who went to college for opera singing.

its all on you to decide what you wanna do and even if you dont go to school right away and decide to take a year or two off thats just fine as well. my boyfriend is 21 like me but hes a sophomore because he didnt wanna do the school thing. now his mind has changed and hes back. there are so many specialized schools now anyway. so dont stress - you'll be ok
winks.gif

Nick

I'm a high school senior who spent the past three years completely dreading college and doing as little as possible to get into one, but I'm more willing now. People told me that it was a way to get where you want to go, which scared me because I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life. I still don't, but I'm going anyway. I eventually realized that I can use college to avoid making career decisions for a little while longer, and even if I'm still clueless when I graduate, at least I’ll be qualified for a greater variety of jobs.

My mentor told me last week that college is a metaphorical candy store, but he was trying to cheer me up, so I don’t know how accurate that is.