which brands/items should i purchase when i travel to USA ?

larababyx

Hi guys !
winkiss.gif
( i didnt know which forum to put this in so i slipped it in this un'
smiles.gif

in two weeks time im travelling to new york ( i live in England) and i am wondering which brands i should purchase and what to buy that we DONT have in England
. e.g nyx , nars , urban decay , smashbox , cetaphil (heard reviews and sounds good
smiles.gif
)

also we dont have a sephora in England and it costs a huge ammount of money for shipping!

anyhows please let me know which brands you recommend i should buy and which products so i can add them to my makeup collection ! it would be a great help if some of you guys replied thanks !!!! x
thmbup.gif

InspiredBlue

It's really hard to give someone a list of things to get without knowing their likes and preferences. Since you're on here, you've probably read about your fair share of products that you can't get but are curious about. I'd say go to Sephora and browse, and you'll recognise the things you've seen and heard about.

The one more specific rec I am going to give is that you make a list of any MAC stuff you are planning to get in the near future and get it all at once in the US instead, since it's noticeably less expensive. At least that's what I'd do.

PlatinumV

I think Urban Decay is a must do. If I'd go to USA I will steal half of the MAC products, but just because in Italy all make up products are so expensive, while in USA prices are really good! But I suppose OPI, China Glaze, and things like that are far more convenient in UK than here.
So, go and have a look
winks.gif

LAMB4LIFE

The One Brand It Breaks My Heart Not To Have In The Uk Is Makeup Forever-if I Was Going To Newyork Thats The Brand I Would Be On The Hunt For.

InspiredBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMB4LIFE
The One Brand It Breaks My Heart Not To Have In The Uk Is Makeup Forever-if I Was Going To Newyork Thats The Brand I Would Be On The Hunt For.

This shop Directions to the MAP store sells MUFE in London. And even if they didn't, France and Belgium are closer and easier places to get MUFE.
th_wink3.gif

vintageroses

OMG you have to RAID SEPHORA!!!!
drools.gif
drools.gif
drools.gif
I live in Australia & we don't have Sephora too! ): but the country i come from has & i really miss sephoraa!!! Shop like crazyyyy larababyx! hahas

Check out NARS blushes tooo! :)

Have fun & UPDATE US ON WHAT YOU GOT!
greengrin.gif
cutey.gif

bumblebees24

I would recommend you visit Nordstrom and Sephora. Both of those stores have majority of the beauty brands in US. That way you can see all the brands and test them out to see if you like them.

JustDivine

Given the rapidly declining exchange rate, I wouldn't really waste time with brands that you can get here in the UK. Ok, you might pay slightly less for them, but I think you'd be better off spending your money on things you know you cannot buy over here.

Go to Sephora, and spend ages in there. Some of their own brand stuff is nice, and they also have brands there you wont have seen before. Spend time. More time. Just keep going round and round. If you must, go back a second time. And a third. Take it all in. Because once you get back here you'll miss it!

Also, I wouldnt bother with MUFE, because you can get that here, and it costs no less in the US compared to £ price. MUFE is a French brand, so the international price is modelled on the Euro, which is effectively like-like with the £. If anything, get swatches so you know which shades to order in the UK.

Go to the drugstore and stock up! Have a good look around, and youll find some unusual things and colour variations of products that are not released in the UK.

Pinky & Poodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebees24
I would recommend you visit Nordstrom and Sephora. Both of those stores have majority of the beauty brands in US. That way you can see all the brands and test them out to see if you like them.

Is there a Nordstrom in NY?

kittykit

Definitely check out Sephora!

USA is like a shopping heaven for me
greengrin.gif
I find *almost* everything is cheaper there compares to the prices we're paying in Europe. MAC is double priced here.

Twinkle_Twinkle

With the bomb ass exchange rate, I'd get a lot of MAC products I wanted. But as far as US/North American brands go, def. Urban Decay, and Stila (not sure if you can get that in the UK or not). It might be difficult to find one retailer with a decent selection of NYX. Is it possible that you could place a NYX order before you leave and have it mailed to a US shipping address? If so I would order NYX products from Cherry Culture. Also Ben Nye is so worth checking out, but the shipping rates often make it impractical for international buyers, so if you can get to a theatrical supplies store, or order online before hand and have it shipped to a US address, I would check that out as well. Also get some Sonia Kashuk and Eco Tools brushes while you're here (available at Target).

LMD84

i like in the uk too but here are some things that i always stock up on when i go to the states -

maybelline full and soft mascaras - years ago we got this in the uk but they stopped selling it here. no idea why because it's awesome! this is the best everyday mascara i have ever used. makes my lashes look longer, doesn't clump and the black is very black in colour which is good
smiles.gif

nyx jumbo pencils - there is now a uk site that stocks these but it's cheaper getting them in the us!

milani - i love the single eye shadows that they do! plus what's evenb better is that you can depot them and they fit in a mac palette
smiles.gif

l'oreal hip - the gel liners and pigments are great... i still need to try the paints though

sephora - i like the eyeliners and mascaras (sephora brand) and the brush sets they do are great!
smiles.gif

darae

I'm going to have to recommend Victoria's Secret single eyeshadows and their lipsticks. I absolutely love these, my love for them is equal to MAC.
winks.gif

Kragey

I would highly recommend picking up some NYX stuff. It's super-cheap and generally high quality. Also, you guys don't get Urban Decay palettes?! You may want to look in to one of those! Also, NARS blushes are pricey, but most people agree that it's worth owning at least one.

If you're in the drugstore, there are some great NYC and Wet n' Wild products for mere pennies--try checking some reviews!

JustDivine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
With the bomb ass exchange rate, I'd get a lot of MAC products I wanted. But as far as US/North American brands go, def. Urban Decay, and Stila (not sure if you can get that in the UK or not). It might be difficult to find one retailer with a decent selection of NYX. Is it possible that you could place a NYX order before you leave and have it mailed to a US shipping address? If so I would order NYX products from Cherry Culture. Also Ben Nye is so worth checking out, but the shipping rates often make it impractical for international buyers, so if you can get to a theatrical supplies store, or order online before hand and have it shipped to a US address, I would check that out as well. Also get some Sonia Kashuk and Eco Tools brushes while you're here (available at Target).

The exchange rate at the moment means that there is much less of a saving to be made when buying products in the US. It is no longer £1-$2. Not even close. So going on a mad money saving spending spree is not really a huge saving anymore. So I wouldn't necessarily buy every MAC product on the counter. Just get staples/backups. But know exactly how much it is costing you before you put down cash! Dont get into the "oh it's foreign/its in dollars so it must be really cheap" mentality!

Urban Decay we do get in the UK. Same with Ben Nye, and the latter is not prohibitively expensive in the UK. I would save trawling around for theatrical shops, because you can easily get that here in England.

I would deffo check out Target for brushes, and random brands that they stock in there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
i like in the uk too but here are some things that i always stock up on when i go to the states -

maybelline full and soft mascaras - years ago we got this in the uk but they stopped selling it here. no idea why because it's awesome! this is the best everyday mascara i have ever used. makes my lashes look longer, doesn't clump and the black is very black in colour which is good
smiles.gif

nyx jumbo pencils - there is now a uk site that stocks these but it's cheaper getting them in the us!

milani - i love the single eye shadows that they do! plus what's evenb better is that you can depot them and they fit in a mac palette
smiles.gif

l'oreal hip - the gel liners and pigments are great... i still need to try the paints though

sephora - i like the eyeliners and mascaras (sephora brand) and the brush sets they do are great!
smiles.gif

Totally agree with you Lou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragey
I would highly recommend picking up some NYX stuff. It's super-cheap and generally high quality. Also, you guys don't get Urban Decay palettes?! You may want to look in to one of those! Also, NARS blushes are pricey, but most people agree that it's worth owning at least one.

If you're in the drugstore, there are some great NYC and Wet n' Wild products for mere pennies--try checking some reviews!

We do get Urban Decay palettes
yes.gif
. Yesss...get a NARS blush if you are interested in getting one, because they are costly here, so its worth buying at the $ price!

Makeup Emporium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky & Poodle
Is there a Nordstrom in NY?

Not yet but it is coming soon...

Nordstrom Rack Union Square (#515)
Grand Opening May 11, 2010!
60 East 14th Street
New York, NY 10003

larababyx

thanks everyone ! when i sot there i had a look around sephora but there was nothing that popped out at me ! i wish i looked around a few more times now
ssad.gif
xx