Which palette - tailormade or cool eyes?

MiaGirl

Hello all, totally new to Specktra and to Mac products as well. The main reason I'm looking into make-up now is because I want to do my own for my wedding in three months' time, but generally I'm loving learning about new techniques and products.

Anyway, I'm currently looking into some eyeshadow and I have a dilemma. I've come across two Mac palettes, each with six shades, on eBay (have checked sellers' feedback and confident they are genuine Mac) - I don't want to buy over the counter as Mac products are very expensive here in Australia and if I buy even three shadows it'll set me back over $90. Anyway, the two different palettes are Cool Eyes, comprised of Ink Freeze (F), Fineshine (L), Dovefeather (VP), Chillblue (L), Nocturnelle (F), and Formal Black (V). The other is the Tailormade Cool Eyes with Summerweight (L), Printemps (VP), Swish (F), Well-Finished (L), Tailored (VP) and Prints (S). The look I am hoping to achieve is a muted purple smokey eye to complement my hazel eyes, not too dark but not like bright violet either. But I'm having trouble deciding which palette would be best to achieve this. I'm leaning towards the first Cool Eyes but the Tailormade is cheaper and I wonder if it will do just as well. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

sigwing

I might have seen the Tailormade cool palette on ebay, which is at a great price! It's more of bluish-grey shades, and is one of my favorites.

jdepp_84

How much is each? If they are real mac I would say buy both if possible, that way you have tons of colors to play with before and after your wedding.

BlahWah

If you're looking for smokey purple I think the first palette would be better b/c it has Nocturnelle. I had the Tailormade Cool Palette (swapped away now!) and as sigwing said, it's more blue-grey. Both are gorgeous tho!

MiaGirl

Thanks guys! I ended up buying the cool eyes with the nocturnelle because I found it for the same price as the Tailormade. It did seem like the Tailormade was more blue shades so it's good to hear confirmation of that!

I would love to have gotten them both but with shipping to Australia and exchange to $AU they were about $40 each - still a good deal (I hope!) but too much for me to outlay all at once right now (especially as I spent $70 on stuff from Everyday Minerals online yesterday as well). But if it comes up again later on when I've got some spare cash I'll definitely add it to my slowly growing collection.

sigwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdepp_84
How much is each? If they are real mac I would say buy both if possible, that way you have tons of colors to play with before and after your wedding.

I'm thinking I saw it with a BIN price of like $15.99....and it was real, because I've had a couple of them & could definitely tell. Must've been someone who scored some at an outlet or something. But I can't remember if it was maybe in Canada, so the shipping was a little higher....I need to run back & look! I was very tempted, but I still have mine.

MiaGirl

There were quite a few on there and I think I saw some for $15 as you say. The one I bought was $25 I think, but it was the only one that shipped to Australia. I didn't check the seller ratings on any of the others though. I'm only assuming it's genuine based on the seller's 100% feedback rate, so I hope it is! How much do these palettes go for retail in the USA?

magi

The FORMAL BLACK cool eyes is definitaly better for smokey eyes. The TAILORMADE one looks quite bright, but the colors are frost and lustre - you get only silvery shimmer on the eyes. The only factor for a smokey look is the PRINT, but FORMAL BLACK and NOCTURNELLE in the first palette are deeper and darker. However, I am not a huge fan of both, as the colors look so different when applied. Very shimmery and colorless...