Worst of 2014

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Hated it!
Wow, I'm surprised! I got the blush palette recently and I think the quality is great. Finely milled, great pigmentation, one of the best blush formulas IMO. I think it probably depends a lot on what brush you use though. (I'm not saying that anyone who dislikes those blushes uses crappy brushes, but I think they require a very soft and delicate brush.) I use my Hakuhodo J series ones and those make the blushes easy to work with.

Monsy

Urban Decay Naked 2 Basics : Chalky,powdery eyeshadows,hard to work with (the original Naked Basics is FAR superior)

Narsissist palette : Coconut Grove,Mekong and the black eyeshadow look the same when blended,Madrague needs a ton of layering and blending and the 2 light shimmery ones are not pigmented at all.The rest of them (except Fez) are ok but still a bit chalky and require more blending than usual.

Dior Star foundation: The finish is AMAZING but no matter what the youtube gurus said this is not good for oily skin. I get about 4-5 hours of wear (with a primer and a powder) before it starts melting.
I agree on dior star it's awful. I couldn't make it work for me.

But I am suprised about the naked basics 2. I have both and they are exactly the same quality. maybe you got a dud?

tirurit

It's pretty bad, I was so disappointed in it when I got it. It's also so thin that it takes several coats to get it looking opaque. I like it over a black base, but I'm still very meh over it.
So true! At least 3 coats for it not to be see through

Haven

YSL glossy stains. The smell....
throwup.gif

allthingsglam

Wow, I'm surprised! I got the blush palette recently and I think the quality is great. Finely milled, great pigmentation, one of the best blush formulas IMO. I think it probably depends a lot on what brush you use though. (I'm not saying that anyone who dislikes those blushes uses crappy brushes, but I think they require a very soft and delicate brush.) I use my Hakuhodo J series ones and those make the blushes easy to work with.
I'm surprised to I love love all my ambient blushes and powder one of my best beauty find of the year for me

Rebellefleur

I'm surprised to I love love all my ambient blushes and powder one of my best beauty find of the year for me
Same here! my friend has troubles with the ambient lighting blush palette not showing up on her but no complaints about the formula. finely milled perfection.

liquidsirenhoney

I have a lot of misses Apocalipslick in coven it looks gorgeous on all the swatches and pictures it just looks like chalk on me Pheromonal just yuck I can't stand this color it's watched beautiful but over all waste of money Kat von d studded lipsticks, even with doing a lip scrub and moisturizing the formula is dry and feels weird on my lips I know I'm gonna get crap for this but lime crime Salem even lining my lips this stuff does not stay all day and transfers and ends up patchy but I do love the color, I have not had good luck with velvetines which breaks my heart because I love the colors Hearts a flame lipstick I wanted lingering kiss but it was sold out, artist showed me how to dupe color and no just no, color is bad and I hate the formula Too faced melted violet just wrong on me the color is so pretty too

telspepper

I bought a couple of Revlon glosses that I'd read were pretty good but they were not. Returned them that day. I bought the new Too Faced Chocolate Bar and I really liked the colors except peanut butter so when that happens I pop out the colour and mix it with a pigment powder or another eye shadow and then press it back in. In this instance I mixed it with a dirty red purple and the result is its a bit darker and less brassy orange. Love it now.

mango13

Lipsticks
- Bobbi Brown Salmon Lipstick (I loved the color, but it had a horrible scent of burning plastic, faded within minutes leaving a ring around my mouth, super drying and it made my lips peel. I bought it on a Saturday and returned it on a Monday!!! It is by far the worst lipstick I have ever tried. Now I'm really put off by Bobbi Brown lipsticks.)
- YSL Peach Passion Rouge Volupte Lipstick (Way more pink than peach and settles into lip lines)

Correctors
- Clinique Even Better Eyes Dark Circle Corrector (doesn't correct or conceal and the cooling tip warms up almost immediately)

Eyeshadows
- MAC Deep Fixation (I love the color and the first two times I used it, it seemed okay just a little thin, I even wanted to get a back up, but after that it has been awful it has A TON of fall out. I have to clean up under my eyes afterwards and throughout the day. I really want to make it work... maybe a 242 with some Fix+)

I'm overall pretty glad that only four products ended up being misses for me. Hopefully 2015 will not have any misses!!!
I have to add the Dior Skinflash Radiance Booster Pen. I bought it in January and it does absolutely nothing for me. I've been trying to use it as a concealer just to use it up, but it's really not that great at that either. I should have tried the YSL one instead, but now I'm totally put off this type of product. So now I'm at five fails for the year, hopefully I'll have none in 2015 or at least less!!! I'm kind of getting Peach Passion to work for me...so it's kind of 4 1/2 fails. lol

LiliV

I didn't have too many flops this year but one was the NYX Butter lipsticks. I love the Butter glosses but the lipsticks are too thin for me, almost like a lip stain. I like a really full coverage creamy lipstick, I don't get the love for those

Cake Face

Revlon Ultra HD Lipstick. Not sure if it was the overall formula or just this particular color, but it was all over the place. On my teeth, on my paperwork, on my clothes. sucks because it was a nice color (poinsettia)

Tossed it as soon as I got home.

Maris Crane

Revlon Ultra HD Lipstick. Not sure if it was the overall formula or just this particular color, but it was all over the place. On my teeth, on my paperwork, on my clothes. sucks because it was a nice color (poinsettia)

Tossed it as soon as I got home.
I'm not impressed. Very drying too (Magnolia.) And the packaging annoys me as you can't roll it all the way down, so the lipsticks ends up all over the inside of the case.

AstronautRaptor

KVD Everlasting Lipstick in Lolita - I was super excited for this one because everyone's images on Instagram made it look so beautiful, but on me it was just a straight brown/tan.. where on everyone else it had some mauve-y brownish look that I loved. Ended up returning it ._.

Morphe Eyeshadow Palettes - The individual shadows are okay, this might be weird.. but the palettes smell horrible. Like chalk-y cheap shadows.. I can't even open my palettes, which sucks because they are very nice shadows, but the smell is almost unbearable for me.

Other than that I didn't have any other flops :)

mel33t

I didn't have too many flops this year but one was the NYX Butter lipsticks. I love the Butter glosses but the lipsticks are too thin for me, almost like a lip stain. I like a really full coverage creamy lipstick, I don't get the love for those
YES! I totally forgot about those! Probably because I tried them once and returned them. They were awful on me. I picked up like three different colors and none of them looked good. They felt heavy and not buttery like the glosses. It was a weird experience for my lips.

DILLIGAF

KVD Everlasting Lipstick in Lolita - I was super excited for this one because everyone's images on Instagram made it look so beautiful, but on me it was just a straight brown/tan.. where on everyone else it had some mauve-y brownish look that I loved. Ended up returning it ._.

Morphe Eyeshadow Palettes - The individual shadows are okay, this might be weird.. but the palettes smell horrible. Like chalk-y cheap shadows.. I can't even open my palettes, which sucks because they are very nice shadows, but the smell is almost unbearable for me.

Other than that I didn't have any other flops :)
I've heard repeatedly that there is a huge difference in quality in Morphe individual shadows and the palettes. I only own a few individuals so I can't speak on the palettes.

Jayjayy

KVD Everlasting Lipstick in Lolita - I was super excited for this one because everyone's images on Instagram made it look so beautiful, but on me it was just a straight brown/tan.. where on everyone else it had some mauve-y brownish look that I loved. Ended up returning it ._.  Morphe Eyeshadow Palettes - The individual shadows are okay, this might be weird.. but the palettes smell horrible. Like chalk-y cheap shadows.. I can't even open my palettes, which sucks because they are very nice shadows, but the smell is almost unbearable for me. Other than that I didn't have any other flops :) 
Lolita looks just like my lips but duller since it's matte. I was so surprised because swatches look beautiful! Oh well...good thing Sephora has testers.