Yard Rant

persephonewillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
I think kids are somewhat different today, and I think it's because of parents' materialism make them think that they need the specific toy, not something that's just as good

my kids must be little freaks of nature then
winks.gif
lol. i'm kidding of course.

seriously though, they don't strive to keep up with the neighbours/their peers. many of our neighbours have outdoor trampolines... the kids figure there is no point in buying one ourselves when they're welcome to use the neighbour's anytime they want (as long as they follow the trampoline rules the parents have in place).

i wonder if the fact that they don't attend public school changes them a little. they don't feel the need to compete with other kids on a daily basis? the peer pressure is a little different in our social circles perhaps. from my own public school experience, it only takes one kid to brag about what great new toy they have to get the whole class going, no matter how un-materialistic the families of the kids may be.

Beauty Mark

It's probably that you raised them with different values. I went through public school, and I didn't want the new Jordans a lot of kids insisted upon having. Neither did any of my friends, who are also public school raised. I think kids are much susceptible to their parents' influence, both good or bad, and if you're raised by materialistic people, you probably will be a bit materialistic.

benzito_714

so are we in disgust over the look of the yard toys or the fact that so many of the neighbors have them?
my husband and i can't wait to get a house so that our child and future children will have somewhere to play and toys to play on. now i don't like clutter so my yard wont be full of gigantic toys that get no use but if i choose to spend my money on it and its on my property-my neighbors nor the HOA will have a say on how it is displayed.

Beauty Mark

It depends on where you live to whether they do have say. Some neighborhoods are planned developments (I forget what the proper name is) like Columbia, MD have everything designed the way they want it. For instance, you can't paint your house bright neon blue if you wanted, unless they approve it.

I do find them garish; if I had a child and wanted permanent yard fixtures, I'd choose things made out of wood, not plastic. I also am not a fan of very cold looking architecture, so waking up every morning in college and looking out of my window at our hideous white and glass campus center among Victorian houses did not thrill me.

I do mostly find it messed up in motivation. That particular article did mention that the one man bought that stuff because of the neighbors- I personally find that to be a very sad reason to buy anything. Everything that I have ever purchased is because I like it, not because so and so buys the same thing

You may indeed (as long as your housing community permits it) choose what you stick in your lawn, but that doesn't mean people cannot voice their opinions. I respect the right of someone who has more light than house at Christmas to do that, but I still think it looks tacky and is wasteful

M.A.C. head.

I think that this post is rather biased.

Children aren't second class citizens and if dad can have is big screen tv, and mom can have the kitchen remodeled then the kids should be able to have a play structure, regardless of if it's pleasing to the next person's eye.

A home is a family's kingdom and as a parent myself, I feel better knowing that my children will be able to play and have fun where I can see them. Kids can't play in their own yard because someone doesn't like how it looks? Please.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.C. head.

Children aren't second class citizens and if dad can have is big screen tv, and mom can have the kitchen remodeled then the kids should be able to have a play structure, regardless of if it's pleasing to the next person's eye.

A home is a family's kingdom and as a parent myself, I feel better knowing that my children will be able to play and have fun where I can see them. Kids can't play in their own yard because someone doesn't like how it looks? Please.

When the play yard deteriorates so it looks bad sitting next to another person's property, or when the yard gets thrashed out because life tends to happen, it causes the appearance of the whole neighborhood to look bad. Kind of not fair for my property to look like ass because the people next door don't take care of their stuff.
smiles.gif

M.A.C. head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
When the play yard deteriorates so it looks bad sitting next to another person's property, or when the yard gets thrashed out because life tends to happen, it causes the appearance of the whole neighborhood to look bad. Kind of not fair for my property to look like ass because the people next door don't take care of their stuff.
smiles.gif

Fairness or unfairness goes both ways.

GlossyAbby

I have 2 little ones and we have a big trampoline and some other play stuff in our back yard .. along w/ 2 doggies but the yard has a big wooden privacy fence so you can't see it. I would never put stuff like that in my front yard. The kids have lots of toys they ride on the front but they are all kept in out grage when not bing ridden...

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
smiles.gif

The yard gets thrashed out? What does that mean exactly?

Unfortunately, we all have varying tastes. Unless it's extreme and obvious stuff, like not maintaining your lawn, letting dog shit lie around, or letting your kids urinate in their blow up (read: not draining, no chlorine) pool and letting it sit there, it boils down to a matter of taste.

And yes, I have experiences directly or indirectly via my grandmother in all of that.

Shimmer

Quote:
Fairness or unfairness goes both ways.

That's why there are back yards. I can think of so many reasons not to allow my kids to play in the front yard, it's not even funny, despite my front yard being twice the size of my back yard.
a) we're on a corner lot, and people don't always drive safely.
b) having the kids out front is invitation for other people's kids to be on our property without permission. Not a risk I'm willing to take, considering the amount of equipment and the fact we have a swimming pool. Kids rarely stay in the front yard alone, and often drift back and forth between the two.
c) my back yard has a privacy fence, a basketball court, a swimming pool, pitchback, dirt pile, grassy area, table, and porch swing. There's *plenty* to do back there.
d) I don't want to advertise my kids in my front yard. There are, I know, 3 sex offenders within a 5 mile radius. I'm not putting my kiddos out front. I live in a totally fantastic suburban little neighborhood, and it's great, but I'd rather keep my business 'mine', and my kids in 'my' area, thanks.

And, when we start talking about deteriorating property values because the neighbors have crap in their front yard, it goes beyond the realm of 'fair' & into something entirely different.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
The yard gets thrashed out? What does that mean exactly?

Unfortunately, we all have varying tastes. Unless it's extreme and obvious stuff, like not maintaining your lawn, letting dog shit lie around, or letting your kids urinate in their blow up (read: not draining, no chlorine) pool and letting it sit there, it boils down to a matter of taste.

And yes, I have experiences directly or indirectly via my grandmother in all of that.

I don't care about play yards in the front yard, I don't care if there's a blow up pool in the front yard...
But when none of it is maintained, i.e. it's falling over, a cesspool, broken, overgrown, etc., then the yard is thrashed out, in my opinion.

Beauty Mark

Okay, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. My grandmother's neighbors were notoriously bad for letting the bushes overgrow into her yard and were teh ones who let the urine in the pool sit during hot summer days
ssad.gif

Shimmer

That's disgusting.
We're so freaking anal about that mess that our pool is technically 'over' chlorinated, but I don't care. Gah. Ugh. Ew.

Beauty Mark

I know urine is pretty sterile, but I never understood why they would let their kids in there. Neighbors or not, I don't know why you'd think that was ever a good idea

MAC_Whore

Quote:

You're right, children aren't second class citizens. I never said that. Am I the second class citizen because I have to stare at big, plastic play toys littered in my neighbors yard when I take pride to make sure my yard looks nice and aesthetically pleasing? Am I the second class citizen because I have to pick up garbage the kids leave in common areas of the neighborhood or yes, even my yard? Am I the second class citizen because I have to listen to their children scream as they play outside? Am I the second class citizen as I am forced to live like I have children when I have chosen not to? I think you could look at it both ways.

I never said I was being unbiased. I hate those toys and that is what my post was about.

Of course kids can play in their own yards, it would just be nice if the parents employed some common courtesy to the neighbors around them. It fosters a better sense of community.

Comments like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzito_714
.....now i don't like clutter so my yard wont be full of gigantic toys that get no use but if i choose to spend my money on it and its on my property-my neighbors nor the HOA will have a say on how it is displayed.

really strike me as lacking common courtesy. The HOA will have a say in it, btw.

elegant-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
You're right, children aren't second class citizens. I never said that. Am I the second class citizen because I have to stare at big, plastic play toys littered in my neighbors yard when I take pride to make sure my yard looks nice and aesthetically pleasing? Am I the second class citizen because I have to pick up garbage the kids leave in common areas of the neighborhood or yes, even my yard? Am I the second class citizen because I have to listen to their children scream as they play outside? Am I the second class citizen as I am forced to live like I have children when I have chosen not to? I think you could look at it both ways.

I never said I was being unbiased. I hate those toys and that is what my post was about.

Of course kids can play in their own yards, it would just be nice if the parents employed some common courtesy to the neighbors around them. It fosters a better sense of community.

Comments like this:

really strike me as lacking common courtesy. The HOA will have a say in it, btw.

true.gif
Gosh, MW...I love ya