Your Beauty Brand Report Card

katred

Specktra Bestie
So if you had to write a "report card" for your favourite beauty brands, what would you put on it? What are their best "subjects"? Are they acing blush but failing lip gloss? Who's shown improvements in the last couple of years? Who do you think is struggling?

Here's a few of my thoughts:

Chanel: An overall great brand, with a lot of things they do really well. Absolutely the best for red lipsticks in particular and has really stepped up their release schedule for new products. That said, too many new collections are getting a bit confusing. Keeping up with Mac and their million collections a year is hard enough, but at Chanel prices, it feels overwhelming.

Guerlain: Truly luxurious. Their prices are high, but the quality is generally good enough that I can be persuaded to part with the extra coin. Their lipsticks are amazing and their 4-shadow palettes are often go-tos for me. I was very happy to see them introduce their "Rose aux Joues" blush duos, which I love, although they admittedly don't look great in swatches. I find they've been improving for the last few years, making their colour assortment more modern and exciting, but this year, I feel like there have been more let downs than hits. I wasn't crazy about their new glosses (too sheer) or the new shadow duos (too sparkly), although I was happy to at least see the lightest foundation shades made available in their new Parure de Lumiere formula.

Hourglass: They've had some wonderful new products in the last couple of years. Your Ambient Lighting Powders generated a lot of excitement- even if they weren't universally loved (I loved them!), the nude lip pencils have been well-received. I do think that there's room for improvement on the basics, though. They need to release more shades of their phenomenal shadow duos and they need some blushes, pronto. (Those cheek stains just don't cut it.)

Rouge Bunny Rouge: Wonderful, wonderful products, great for a softer, more natural kind of look, but with a lot of dimension to the shades. I do wish that they'd offer a few more colours for cooler-toned ladies, especially for the lips, but the biggest thing they need to do is secure themselves some distribution. On line swatches are great and all, but these products would sell better if people could swatch them in person. Once you've touched them, they're irresistible. Particularly fantastic eye shadows and blushes.

Those are just a few of mine... How would you grade your favourite brands?

niccig

Burberry: Products are very high quality, packaging is super luxe and formulas are consistent between colors. The fact that their products are consistently out of stock is hurting their image, I think.

Laura Mercier: Excels at the basics and makes great products for a natural look.