All Things Sephora

pbpink

I think I'm going to try some Algenist skincare products. I'm going in on the whole sha-bang...cleanser, eye balm toner moisturizer. Anyone tried this line? Kind of OT but does anyone use Paula's choice for product reviews?
i would personally not use paula's choice for review as she sells her own stuff and exaggerates things - i am NOT a fan of alcohol (only in skin care of course, ha!) but PC's takes it to an extreme.....there are many different types of alcohol and some are as simple as being a binding agent - i do have a product or two (like CT 3in1 glow miracle) that has binding alcohol but it is listed as 10th, i would not buy something i use every day like a toner with ANY alcohol and i usually just stay away from it, def if in the first 5 ingredients - alcohol will give great instant gratification but long term can be bad, in skin care it opens your pores so other ingredients can get in (sorry i'm not a scientist but have read a lot about it) I was just looking at chanel's sublimage line and it's filled with alcohol, crazy for the cost! perhaps doing a search on youtube or makeup alley or even reading the user reviews could be helpful! i stick with this as my skin is pretty normal and don't have many issues beside from aging!! no clue if it is from not using alcohol or genetics but it just happen to work that way!!

pbpink

I was at Bed Bath and Beyond today and they have a wine glass that holds an entire bottle. Don't know why but I thought of you and HG.
girlhaha.gif
we are a bunch of drunks here, i just mentioned above!! ha!

pbpink

I remember when you ordered the lip glows, glad you finally got them.

Did you try the highlighter yet? I love how scotch on the rock looks in the pot, but I haven't tried it on my eyes yet.
hi darling!! how are you? fancy seeing you out of TF + Chanel! ha! where are you the most these days? i need to pop over to TF/C and say hi to teger and TF girls!

how are those dior lip glows? the luxbabe on youtube sucked me in the other day!

do i NEED it even though my TF stash is embarrassing, like a full price TF bag worth embarrassing! i went nuts after getting that xmas 12 lippie dealio, in a lame cardboard box mind you! i sure do love my TF's regular line the most, the sheers were good but i missed summer fling, i spaced at the time and can not find anywhere!

also, if anyone has not bought Guerlain etoile meteorites, GET THEM! i saved my summer job money to buy probably the first terracotta bronzer 20 yrs ago so i've been around the block with G and i have seen every christmas edition and i think the packaging is the best EVER and the ballz are unreal this year! i've bought 2 in the 20 years, this is my 3rd! my sephora had them hidden away in back, so if anyone is looking as i think they were sold out online last i saw, run to the store grab them then perhaps could rebuy with VIB or FF, yunno??

MissTT

It is a great foundation and very yellow. I tried a color on that was so yellow it turned up ashy? But I thought it would be perfect for me. LOL

How do you like the genius gel foundation?

what did you find?

anyone try the new YSL foundation. Another good one if you can find your match.

I think my list is going to be basic
foundation and powders and primers... oh and an audacious lipstick or two
Oh and I forgot the Sephora z palette.
But trying to decide if I'm going to do it now or during VIB sale. I'm only VIB, not Rouge....

Oh and another concealer brush. LOL
The shades that suit me in the new Laura Mercier are Amber (might be too light for you) and Praline works too, but it's deeper. What shade did you try?
For YSL Fusion Ink I am either BD55 or BD60. BD65 is too dark. If you see it at the store please swatch and/or get samples for me.
bouquet.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by califabulous

I think I'm going to try some Algenist skincare products. I'm going in on the whole sha-bang...cleanser, eye balm toner moisturizer. Anyone tried this line? Kind of OT but does anyone use Paula's choice for product reviews?
Actually I use her site quite often to read about the composition/ingredients in products. I also look at some of the research studies. I started using her products a few years ago and I immediately started receiving frequent compliments on my skin. The price of the products is very good. The only reason I've started using other brands is b/c I have a drawer full of free skincare. However, I always keep a bottle of her BHA Liquid around. Some people don't like her reviews or smugness or say she's shilling her own products, but she has a huge list of products from other brands she recommends so I really don't understand that line of reasoning. I try to stick to the facts. Just keep in mind that she is working from a frame of sensitive skin. Most people don't have sensitive skin and will have no reaction to some of the products she rates lowly.

pbpink

OT: Does Neiman Marcus charge shipping from stores? An item I want is sold out online, but is in a store. It would be lame if I had to pay shipping when it is free online.
FREE now! do you have you a NM in your state? usually BG has the same items and no tax, free shipping and i have an amazing SA at BG who i will personally make sure you get goodies and the goodies from BG are much better than NM, let me know as i would LOVE to help you!! also have a SA at NM who can help if you need who is a good SA....

Yazmin

OT: Does Neiman Marcus charge shipping from stores? An item I want is sold out online, but is in a store. It would be lame if I had to pay shipping when it is free online.

Free shipping from stores.

Quote: Originally Posted by califabulous

Algenist extended their Friends & Family sale (30%) until Monday. I'm just about to place an order for their cleansers and toner.

I've referenced Paula's Choice for reviews and have wondered how much weight I should actually give them. Part of my Sephora F&F and DermStore orders included a some items that were given a 'Best' rating, so we'll see how that goes when I get them.

califabulous

i would personally not use paula's choice for review as she sells her own stuff and exaggerates things - i am NOT a fan of alcohol (only in skin care of course, ha!) but PC's takes it to an extreme.....there are many different types of alcohol and some are as simple as being a binding agent - i do have a product or two (like CT 3in1 glow miracle) that has binding alcohol but it is listed as 10th, i would not buy something i use every day like a toner with ANY alcohol and i usually just stay away from it, def if in the first 5 ingredients - alcohol will give great instant gratification but long term can be bad, in skin care it opens your pores so other ingredients can get in (sorry i'm not a scientist but have read a lot about it) I was just looking at chanel's sublimage line and it's filled with alcohol, crazy for the cost! perhaps doing a search on youtube or makeup alley or even reading the user reviews could be helpful! i stick with this as my skin is pretty normal and don't have many issues beside from aging!! no clue if it is from not using alcohol or genetics but it just happen to work that way!!
hey thanks this is great info. I noticed that all the recommendations for products were her own and wondered why so many products have poor ratings. I will continue with my research then. I have some products that I have replenished like the PRT glycolic toner and the origins charcoal mask. But I really like what I see from Algenist :)

smallestkitten

I can't remember who was asking about Tom Ford Black Orchid but it's a free sample on Nordie's right now
flower.gif

Edit: it was Velvet Orchid being asked about, my bad.

MissTT

Quote: Originally Posted by pbpink
FREE now! do you have you a NM in your state? usually BG has the same items and no tax, free shipping and i have an amazing SA at BG who i will personally make sure you get goodies and the goodies from BG are much better than NM, let me know as i would LOVE to help you!! also have a SA at NM who can help if you need who is a good SA....

I ended up changing my mind on the items, but thank you! No major department stores in my state so most of my shopping is done online or by phone/email with SAs. I may hit you up one of these days for the name of your SAs. I've got a new one at Bloomingdales who is good and has sent me lots of deluxe samples. My Nordstrom SA showed improvement with my last order and bought some time with a bag of deluxe samples. It probably wouldn't hurt to have a backup though.

califabulous

I just ordered those, plus Brandy and Cognac...(and 17 other items jumped in my cart along with them. Oops!)

I can't stand to have glitter on my face - unless of course, it's deliberate. I typically shy away from BB items such as these because they're too glittery. I am curious about the Bronze Glow, but I want to see some more swatches to be sure it's not going to be glittery.

Right now, Mr Rebates is giving 8% cash back on Sephora. Ebates is only 4% at the moment.

Free shipping from stores.

Algenist extended their Friends & Family sale (30%) until Monday. I'm just about to place an order for their cleansers and toner.

I've referenced Paula's Choice for reviews and have wondered how much weight I should actually give them. Part of my Sephora F&F and DermStore orders included a some items that were given a 'Best' rating, so we'll see how that goes when I get them.
Ok cool let us know ah. I will look up a review in a heartbeat. I've done that when talking to a sephora rep about a product and ask their opinion about a low scoring item lol. *** heading over to the algenist site
ok.gif

Vandekamp

I live the Algenist skincare line. I especially I especially like their facial mask.

kaira

Hey MissTT I was wondering what you thought of the Sephora Liquid Moisturizing Skin Concentrate.
I'm not MissTT but i hope you don't mind if I chimed in :) I used a sample of this and it made my skin feel really soft. I was using acne cream underneath it and it hydrated my skin so there are less dry patches. I saw it at one point in time for $11, which was probably a price mistake, but I missed it before the price reverted back to reg price. I'm hopeful it will drop back down to that price lol. It's on my wishlist to purchase during the holidays.

MissTT

I'm not MissTT but i hope you don't mind if I chimed in :) I used a sample of this and it made my skin feel really soft. I was using acne cream underneath it and it hydrated my skin so there are less dry patches. I saw it at one point in time for $11, which was probably a price mistake, but I missed it before the price reverted back to reg price. I'm hopeful it will drop back down to that price lol. It's on my wishlist to purchase during the holidays.

meka72

I love the Algenist oil and highly recommend it. Thanks to @Elegant One, I'll be picking up the melting cleanser and a moisturizer or something. I'm not a Paula Begoun fan. I think she is hypocritical. For example, I read reviews in which she criticized a makeup brand for having limited foundation shades yet she had no foundations darker than beige tan. She also criticized brands for using silicones in products but most of her products are laden with silicones. Of course I think PB could provide some helpful info but I would only use her recommendations as one source in a greater quest to make informed decisions about skincare and makeup. Sorry for the rant. Lol.