Anyone else feel sad about the state of our country?

jillianjiggs

some people just really enjoy their whoppers. i would be initially a little ticked off if i was hungry and jonesing for a certain fast food item, only to find out they didn't offer it anymore (i still mourn the death of mcdonalds pizza!) - it's just an initial period of annoyance and crankiness, i'm sure they wouldn't lose sleep over it or cry for weeks.

i have to agree with a lot of this thread, though. especially just general manners. i was raised with the class manners - hold the door open for others, please and thank you, give your bus seat up for someone who needs it more than you, treat people with respect.

after working customer service and just general observations, i am disgusted at how the majority of people have zero manners and are self absorbed. the cell phone thing especially - having been a cashier, i had many customers go through, gabbing on their cell phones about the most mundane things, not even stopping to greet me, me being unable to ask them a question about their order, no thank you at the end - just continual talking on their cell phones.

or some perfectly able bodied individual letting the door slam on a senior citizen, full well knowing he was behind him. or a young woman with a toddler in a snowsuit, trying to find a seat on the bus - a seat RESERVED for those with small children, the elderly, the disabled, etc, TAKEN UP by some teenagers and some 30something year olds reading a book.

and even then, i still do those small things and rarely get a thank you, or even acknowledgement that i did something to help them, a complete stranger.

makes me pretty jaded and half of me wants to just fade into one of them and be self centered and bitter too, but i have too much of a conscious
winks.gif

and also, the amount of people who don't give a shit that their kids are misbehaving and causing a huge racket in public (maybe a "stop it bobby, you're being an idiot!" but usually just a 'turn a blind eye and keep doing what i am doing, lalala, oh look, this is on sale' while their kid runs around, pulls stuff off the shelf, runs into people...not only is it annoying, but who knows who could snatch the kid up!).

...but that is a whole other rant!
th_wink3.gif

blazeno.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerhead
i feel bad that alot people my age have a minimal amount of interest in education. at my uni, people say 'i've only been to 2 classes this week!' like they're soo outrageous. we have the best resources at any point in history & people care less and less. it's obscene really.
obviously i find it strange that homophobia is still very common. i know it's been worse but you'd think people would be used to gay individuals after thousands of years, obviously not....
another big thing that bothers me is rampant consumerism with credit card debt on the rise. i like all my material posessions, but i'd happily throw them all away to keep my photo albums. don't base your life around 'stuff'...society is getting greedier & shallower....'life sold cheaply forever'

I guess that's the reason I love my school. If you're there, you're going to study, and the GLBT population is so prominent, if you're rude to anyone for one of those things you are ostracized (trust me, I've seen it happen).