Baby Fever way too early

Girl about town

Hi i know its a really hard time to go through, my best friend had an abortion and became obsessed with having a baby afterwards , i think its a way of feeling less guilty. I had my son young and although i love him so much, i would never think someone of 18 should plan to have a child. It is damn hard work and you have the rest of your life to do it (almost) Enjoy being young and having no responsibilities xxxx

Evey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenii
Honestly, the things I thought I wanted at 18, I found I didn't want when I had a chance to grow up a little.

Having a baby is a decision you can't take back.

I feel like your guilt is what's making you wanna jump into motherhood, and that's really not a good motivation to do it.

Just wait, that's my advice. You and your boyfriend might not be together in a few years. I know you're sure he's "the one," but life rarely works out that way. We're sure of a LOT of things at that age, and most of it changes once we've grown and matured.

Please give yourself a chance to grow and mature. Don't make life decisions yet, because you're still just a kid (no offense). I know I resented hearing that at your age, but hindsight is 20/20. I really WAS just a kid.

EXACTLY...Although I am not that much older than you, when I was your age I was with a guy that I thought was "the one" and he ended up turning out to be the biggest piece of ...well never mind you get the idea. My point is, don't place your hands over your eyes and blind yourself to this one person. When the right person/time comes along everything will work out the way it's supposed to...when it's supposed to....how it's supposed to. God already has your life planned out for you. I know right now it seems like having a baby is all cotton candy and carnivals but you HAVE to think about the long run. NOt only is this going to effect you and your boyfriends life...a baby will effect ALL of those around you. Also, if you and your boyfriend decided that at 17 you two weren't ready for a baby...ask yourself this question, "what has changed in me and my boyfriend in the past year that would make it OK to bring a child into the world right now?"

CantAffordMAC

alright so half you guys are making me cry with your stories. Thank you everyone for your advice on the situation. I appreciate it all. I know now that it is definetly not the best decision at this time. We don't have any money at all, and all of the questions you guys brought up are very reasonable. I do still think that I'll decide to have kids at a young age (mid-20s) but I'm not necessarily putting an exact time on it, just a reasonable age that I wouldn't mind having kids at. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll definetly wait, but I know that me and this man will eventually get married and have kids. So theres no rush.

smiles.gif

MAC_Pixie04

Mid-twenties isn't so young, just make sure you're prepared in all the ways we've advised you before you start actively trying to make a baby. I know I want my kids before I'm 30 because of health reasons. My weight and thyroid problem will only get worse with age, and having a baby later in life leaves me susceptible to a lot of health risks.

tiramisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeisenne
Long story inc: skip if you don't like novels
smiles.gif

I had 5 miscarriages and my husband and I were looking into adoption when I got pregnant again. I was told that I couldn't have kids, so this was a surprise. I almost miscarried again at 10.5 weeks, but the ER staff saved my pregnancy. I had my first son two days after I turned 23. By that time I had been married for just over 3 years, and my relationship was stable. Finances were not the best, but I don't think anybody working an average job can ever be "ready" financially for having a baby. By the time I was 24 I'd had my second son. I'd stopped my career to be a stay at home mom, and while finances were tight I know I did the right thing at the time for my family.

A few years later it turns out that both of my kids ended up being diagnosed with mild autism. This was a major blow to my self esteem and my marriage, and we ended up divorcing a few years later from the fallout. When dealt with tragedy some couples just drift apart until they fall apart. My ex and I are on very stable terms now and we're talking about reconciling. My sons are now 9 (10 next month) and 11 years old.

Do I regret having my kids? I never will. I could have put kids aside for my career and never had to deal with autism or the resulting stress. Having my kids at that time was perfect for ME. The three of us are so close today, you cannot drive a wedge between my kids and I. Thanks to aggressive treatment from both the school's special education program and their pediatrician, they are as normal as they are going to get. You can stick them in a room full of other kids, and if you were going just by looks you couldn't tell them apart. Speech and social skills are still something we work on every day, and if that's the worst I have to deal with, I consider myself luckier than most of my peer mothers who have autistic children. Some Moms I know with autistic kids have never had their child look at them and say, "I love you". So yes, I consider myself VERY lucky because I hear that every day, several times a day.

If I could go back and do things different, would I? Probably not, except that I would have handled the aftermath of their diagnosis differently. Maybe then I wouldn't have gone through my divorce. But if somebody had told me before I had kids that there was a possibility that they would be afflicted with a disability, would I still have them? That's a possibility I don't think any mother is prepared for, and the only thing I can suggest before you try for another baby is that you know that you have a good support system with their father, your family, and friends before having a child just in case any surprises come up.

Only you can determine when you are ready, and I wouldn't really rely on age as the sole timer for having kids. One of my cousins waited until her career was stable, she had money in the bank, and now she's 42 and not sure if she can handle running after a toddler at her age. Life changes all the time, but wait a year or so to see where you're headed, and then make the decision after that. Jobs will change, living situations will change, but as long as you know what you want to do with your life and you have a plan to get there in place, then you can fit in having a child.

Best of luck to you
smiles.gif

Jeisenne, I just want to let you know I feel for you, as I have a disabled child and have the same feelings and similar experiences you have had.

For what it is worth, you are never fully prepared for having children unless independently wealthy (HA!) AND have common sense/parenting abilities... but at ANY age, having a child that is disabled (especially if you aren't aware during pregnancy that anything is wrong) completely throws everything out the window.

If I could, I would have waited until my age now (30) to have kids. I have an 8 year old and 6 year old and have gone back to school to get my J.D. -- largely because my six year old needs me to be considerably financially independent; he needs a trust to support him long after I am gone... he will never live a "normal" life and I am doing this on my own.
You may think you have a "forever" kind of love with someone, and then life can easily take DRASTIC twists and turns you would have never thought possible... of course no one wants to be pessimistic about love, but realistic, yes--especially when you are still in your late teens/early-to mid 20's--you've got a TON of time on your side for babies!!

fingie

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonsmother
I had my son at a young age. I got pregnant when i was 19 & gave birth when I was 20. Having a baby changes your life in ways you cannot imagine. You're no longer obligated to do what you want, when you want. Decision making gets harder because you need to look out for what's best for the child. If you're ready for a change, then I would say do it!

Having a baby changes everything but being a parent is the best feeling in the world. I don't regret anything about having a baby at a young age. Watching my son grow & seeing him develope his own personality is amazing! I'm sure you'll love being a parent & i'm sure you'll be a great one too!

Exactly my situation- 19 when I got preg, had my daughter about 2 weeks after my 20th bday [I'm 21 now]

I definately don't regret my daughter but I have to admit, there are times where I'm envious of "regular" 21 year olds. I would love to be able to just pick up and go whenever I want, but I have to keep her eating/napping schedules in mind. It's a lot of work, and I love her unconditionally, but if I could go back in time, I probably would've liked to wait a few more years.

Caramel_QT

I understand where you are coming from. Some women have a strong mothering instinct and get baby fever repeatedly. I had my first at 19 (she's now 11) followed by another 3, for a total of 4 kids. I LOVE babies, but it's not easy. I would tell you to wait as long as you possibly can. I know how hard it is when you just want a baby, you can't think of anything else. If you had something else to look forward to maybe that would take the compulsive baby feelings away? A trip, shopping spree...a MAC haul??? Like I said I have 4 kids and they are all the result of intense baby lust. I love being pregnant the whole nine...I have to get my tubes tied or I'll wind up with 10...seriously.

Ms.Amaranthine

This is purely your decision. As a girl who got pregnant at 18, I can tell you now.. if you have a baby at your age, you'll be losing a lot of freedoms you have. I can't even get ready in the morning without having a toddler scream at me.

You have another 20 years to have a family. I know about the urges to have a kid. I took care of my niece for a year when I was 16 and would cry over her not being mine. I wanted to be a mother so badly that it hurt. Once I realized I was too young and needed to live life, I got pregnant. I do not regret my decision, because my daughter has breathed new life into me.. but, for her sake, I do wish I had waited longer. She deserves a lot more than I am capable of giving to her right now. I went through bad post-partum depression. I missed being able to just go outside by myself and spend an hour looking at the stars. I couldn't do that when she was a newborn, because she required constant attention. The smallest of things in your life are changed by a child. Every aspect of your life is altered. My situation is different than yours would be, as I was a single mother for the first year of her life, but.. there would be some likeness too.

I still struggle with it now, even though there's a man in my life who helps me financially and emotionally with the strain of being a parent. Michael and I can't even go out together without planning. I have to make sure I'll have a baby sitter, enough money to pay the sitter, et cetera. Recently, I had to go out of town for a week to get my boyfriend's stuff from his house (He lived in Kansas and moved here for me), and it took over a month of planning to just leave for those few days. I couldn't take her with me, because we were driving back. I had to wait for my mother to get time off work and that was a luxury, I would've had to find a sitter to stay home with her and pay them a fair bit of money otherwise. Before I had her, I up and left home all the time. There's no more room for spontaneity in my life. Also, It costs a lot to raise a baby. I'm trying to get through college now and raise her.. and it's very hard. What's worse is, I too have baby fever again and want another one. I'm putting my wants aside, because I know that it isn't time. Maybe in five years, but not right now.

If you're wanting that badly, make a plan. Give yourself a list of things you need/want to do before you have a baby and have to come home every day and every night to take care of your family. If you like going out with friends, do that as much as you can while you can. The only time I see my friends anymore is when we have play dates. The only friends I have time to see are the ones that have babies. Enjoy your freedom and money. The way I look at it with my baby fever is, if it happens.. I won't be sad about it and I know I'm capable of being a good mother.. but I am not, in no way, trying to have a baby. I'm going to get the rest of my life together before I bring another child into the mix.

Caramel_QT

So well said!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Amaranthine
This is purely your decision. As a girl who got pregnant at 18, I can tell you now.. if you have a baby at your age, you'll be losing a lot of freedoms you have. I can't even get ready in the morning without having a toddler scream at me.

You have another 20 years to have a family. I know about the urges to have a kid. I took care of my niece for a year when I was 16 and would cry over her not being mine. I wanted to be a mother so badly that it hurt. Once I realized I was too young and needed to live life, I got pregnant. I do not regret my decision, because my daughter has breathed new life into me.. but, for her sake, I do wish I had waited longer. She deserves a lot more than I am capable of giving to her right now. I went through bad post-partum depression. I missed being able to just go outside by myself and spend an hour looking at the stars. I couldn't do that when she was a newborn, because she required constant attention. The smallest of things in your life are changed by a child. Every aspect of your life is altered. My situation is different than yours would be, as I was a single mother for the first year of her life, but.. there would be some likeness too.

I still struggle with it now, even though there's a man in my life who helps me financially and emotionally with the strain of being a parent. Michael and I can't even go out together without planning. I have to make sure I'll have a baby sitter, enough money to pay the sitter, et cetera. Recently, I had to go out of town for a week to get my boyfriend's stuff from his house (He lived in Kansas and moved here for me), and it took over a month of planning to just leave for those few days. I couldn't take her with me, because we were driving back. I had to wait for my mother to get time off work and that was a luxury, I would've had to find a sitter to stay home with her and pay them a fair bit of money otherwise. Before I had her, I up and left home all the time. There's no more room for spontaneity in my life. Also, It costs a lot to raise a baby. I'm trying to get through college now and raise her.. and it's very hard. What's worse is, I too have baby fever again and want another one. I'm putting my wants aside, because I know that it isn't time. Maybe in five years, but not right now.

If you're wanting that badly, make a plan. Give yourself a list of things you need/want to do before you have a baby and have to come home every day and every night to take care of your family. If you like going out with friends, do that as much as you can while you can. The only time I see my friends anymore is when we have play dates. The only friends I have time to see are the ones that have babies. Enjoy your freedom and money. The way I look at it with my baby fever is, if it happens.. I won't be sad about it and I know I'm capable of being a good mother.. but I am not, in no way, trying to have a baby. I'm going to get the rest of my life together before I bring another child into the mix.

jubethone

I am 25 now, and am only starting to think about having kids. I wanted kids earlier, but my husband and I decided to wait until we were financially stable and had a few years of fun to ourselves. I think that was the best decision we made. When we got married, we had to get used to each other and grow and mature into a married couple. It would have been so much harder to do if we'd had kids right away.

greentwig

This thread has been very helpfull, thank you everyone for telling your stories. Some of them made me teary eye'd and made me think of all the things I havent thought about w/ having a child...

Thanks again everyone for your personal posts
winkiss.gif

Kalico

In my experience the feeling of wanting a baby comes and goes. When my biological clock starts working, I turn on the sims lol. Then I can "have" as many babies as I want. Then the feeling goes away, comes back, etc. I went through something similar CantaffordMAC. I had an abortion because it was the right thing to do, I was too young (although, I was 19 or 20). I'm glad I decided to wait. The child wouldn't have the life I would want it to have, and even though the ex REALLY wanted to have a baby, he isn't mature enough. I think it's more of a puppy dog kinda thing (for him it was), wanting something to love that will love you unconditionally. I can only imagine what life would be like being tied to him and his family for 18+ years!! AAAAAAHHHH!!! The horrors!! And it's just beyond sad when you see kids growing up with immature parents, who just want to deal with the kid when it's "convenient." There's a child in his family that's going through that. I really, really feel for the little guy.

Also, it's good to be REALLY honest with yourself. I'm a lot like my mom. My mom isn't happy basing her life around family. We just aren't like that.

makeup4ever

It sounds like you're carrying some emotional guilt which is totally natural and understandable. You have so much ahead of you, please be kind and gentle to yourself, try to forgive yourself so that healing can work through you. I'm in my 30's, happily married, live in a nice apartment with our 2 year old daughter and still find it very tough at times.

stacylynne

I agree with frocher 100%. I really think you should wait. You have a full life ahead of you. You are still very young.
I'm 34 & I don't have any kids. (I have dogs).

You made the right decision for you at that time & no one can tell you differently.

I really think you should wait until you are 100% financially & emotionally stable.
If anyone tells you it's easy, it's not. It's a 24/7 lifetime committment.