Do you hide your obsession?

cherryblossom girl

This thread made me laugh so much... I'm not a diehard mac obsessive but I still cringed when one of the SA's recognised me at my local counter one time. She was very sweet but I was still so embarassed! I obviously spend way too much time there lol

Question for MAs - do mac staff secretly laugh at the customers who buy everything mac makes?

Tonitra

Haha, I only have one counter near where I live, and even though I haven't been into MAC all that long I'm getting the "Back so soon? You don't own everything yet?" lol, it's all in fun though so it's ok.
As far as hiding my purchases from my family and friends, well my mom and dad don't care all that much (in fact I like to show my mom what I recently picked up) and as for my friends most of them are cool with it and understand my obsession, except if they see my collection and start adding things up. Then its slightly awkward.

electrostars

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrostars
I only have one too, but I don't go to the counter that often, because it's too out of the way(not that far out of the way, but i'm lazy..) to drive to it..which is a good thing for me. XD or else I'd be spending alot more money. hahah.

Ok, I lied. I just remembered that every time I get a package in the mail my dad yells at me, because he knows that most likely it's make-up. He even yells at me when I swap and that's not even spending any money! lmao. I miss living on my own because of this..ahh one day I'll be done with school, making fat loot and owning tons more makeup. hahahah. XD

JGunnar

I'm kinda reluctant to tell friends and family exactly how much everything cost ($13.50 per shadow, $20+ per brush) but they see it. I find that lately I'm a little embarrassed to go up to the counter cause they see me so often. But when they see me walking over their eyes light up cause they knowit means money.

Juneplum

lol! hide??? me??? NEVVVAAAHHHH! every counter in miami knows me and i'm proud of it!!
rofl.gif
graucho.gif
lol.gif

angela

haha yea i try to limit myself by only visiting my closest nordies counter 2x a month. But if i need foundation samples (usually 5 dif shades) I'll go to every counter in my vicinity! I'd rather get samples than buy 5 different shade full size foundations coz they'll only go bad coz i'll never use it.

Renee

You know you spend too much time at your local MAC counter when you are out shopping at Target and one of the MA's comes up to you and says"don't I know you from somewhere?" and you have to say "yes, I just spent a lot of money at your counter yesterday!" Love it! My fiance thinks I'm crazy for always buying makeup, but understands it's my passion and that he'll just have to live with it!

depecher

No, I don't even try to hide it. I finally have a counter in my city and I go there all the time, which is about once a week or so. The MAs there are sooo nice and I miss them when I try to be good. Yeah, I am a dork!

I used to visit the freestanding store in Troy, Michigan almost every day when I was on vacation. THAT was embarrassing but they didn't seem to care. ha ha. I think we ended up going 10/14 days and there were a few days when it was more than once. I had to get it all because at that time, my beloved mall was just starting to break ground. I don't think I will have to visit more than once or twice this year.

MACBunny

OMG, I thought I was the only one! Yeah, I realized one day that 2 MAs were fighting over who got to help me! (This was at my main counter where they work on commission.) I felt so bad--I didn't want to cause friction amongst the staff! But all of them knew whenever I came in, I would drop at least $150. So now I spread my shopping out between 3 stores, lol.
rofl.gif

allan_willb

Quote:
Originally Posted by REYNALD0C
I have to hide my MAC, my mom doesnt know I wear make up, so I hide it all in a shoebox =[

dont worry your time will come....and soon enough you will be doing your mom's make up!

shriekingviolet

If I had more counters to choose from in my area, I'd totally rotate so I didn't look like a regular, but as I only have 1 in reasonable driving distance (2 if one considers 40 minutes "reasonable" which I don't) I can't do that. I'm so envious of people who have so many to choose from!

I still try to go visit the counter no more than once a month (to view the new collections), and then do the rest of my shopping online. I try to go at different times and different days so I'm not being waited on by the same people every time. My efforts to look like a more casual customer seem to be in vain though as there's something I can't identify that marks me as a MAC addict. I went to a counter in early Feb to buy something from the Icon collection, and was waited on by MAs I had never seen before, which isn't that unusual. And I'm not a chatty customer, so until I checked out the extent of my verbal interaction with the MAs involved "Thanks I'm just looking for now." "May I have a tissue?" (to wipe all of the lipgloss I had swiped on my hand off
greengrin.gif
) "Where are your shadestick displays?" and then finally "I know what I want now, could you get me.....?"

Once the MA was checking me out (who again, I'm positive I had never seen before!), she said "you buy from MAC a lot, huh?" Slightly disturbed, since she had never helped me before or asked for any info that could have pulled up my customer history, I just said "yes." And she replied, "I thought you looked like an addict!" At that point, I was desperately trying to figure out what gave me away since it was a pretty light makeupday for me and I was wearing neutrals that didn't look distinctively MAC, so I think I kind of shrugged or gave some sort of comment to the affirmative. She went sort of conspiratorally, like she was giving me secret information, "We have a new color collection coming out on the 16th, you'll have to come back then." And to avoid further exposing myself as an addict I said "Ah, thanks" rather than "Yes, I know. Culturebloom and UltraCheek, I can't wait to see those pearly blushcremes!"

The experience should have taught me that I shouldn't hide my addiction from the MAs as it's obviously useless, but it just makes me want to try harder! Which is completely neurotic.

bebs

I have.. three stores near me... but I only go to one... and yeah I find my self.. going to the ones farther away so they dont think I go there to often

my husband freaks out everytime I tell him I was out shopping. so I need to hide it from him sometimes.

Isabelle

I'm another person whose husband doesn't understand. I did a mail order last week, hid the packaging in the rubbish and have stashed my new items in my desk drawer.

I don't even use my makeup every day, but I love it and I love buying it! <looks sheepish>

Isabelle

pale blue

I can't hide my makeup from my fiance, I mean I have a rolling plastic sliding drawer storage thingie. Granted he wouldn't know if I added anything to it unless something comes in the mail, and if something does come in the mail he presumes it's a swap (no money spent) since I do it often. He knows I collect makeup and he himself collects comic books, so if he drops $100-400 on a comic book it leaves him no room to talk when I spend money on makeup
greengrin.gif

I have about 6 MAC counters in my area, but I frequent 2-3...I should try the rotation thing so I don't feel so bad when they recognize me lol

user4

i go to the same one, allthough i have quite a few, because i feel comfortable with the people at the one i usually go to...... they probably do think im a bit nuts but its ok... cuz i am!!! lmao

Chelly

id ont hide it - and the nasty bitches at some of the counters i go to think in insane for spending money on shit they get for free.. but i dont care. i go to 2 counters, a free standing store in the city and the pro store - id ont rotate on purpose i just go to whatever's conveinent for me
smiles.gif

.nicole.

there is only 1 mac counter near me.. the rest i have to drive to seattle for which isn't a short drive.. but i hide it from my b/f when i get home from work cuz thats normally when i go, it'll be in my purse before i even step out of my car lol