Geisha - Need your opinions girls

user79

OK as some of you may know, I dabble with photography on the side. I've been doing self-portrait shots lately, not because I'm so self-absorbed or something and think I need a million pictures of myself, but rather because I don't know a lot of people here that I can ask to pose/model for me and I have no one else that I can take pictures of the way that I want to. I have certain ideas in my head what I want to do, so it's easier to just do the stuff myself.

Now, I'm posting them here rather than on a photography forum because it's mostly girls and I don't want any wrong attention from guys and lewd comments and such, hehe. So anyway, here's some pics I've been playing with, can you girls tell me which - if any - you like the most? Or if there's any you don't like, feel free to tell me too.

These were taken with my Canon 20D, and a bit of work done in Photoshop but nothing dramatic.

geisha-3.jpg

geisha-2.jpg

geisha-1.jpg

geisha-4.jpg

And I'll just throw this one in cuz I kinda like it, it's different though, it's from a few days ago.

bw-side.jpg

So any comments/suggestions please if you feel so inclined to give me some feedback, that would be great.

wavey.gif

asteffey

I really like #3 & #4 out of the geisha pics.

this might sound sort of odd, but i think the lines created by your bangs onto your nose in contrast with the dark eye makeup and the shadows makes for a really interesting image. it is sort of delicate in the face area, and then your eyes travel down to see the sharpness of the robe. i really like that picture.

as far as #4 goes, if you are looking for something typical for a geisha pose, i think you nailed it there. it is such a rich image: the folds in the robe's fabric, your hair, and the nooks of your back are really interesting. i think seeing the back bare is one of the winning factors.

as far as the other two, i have two simple comments to make as to why i did not pick them. they are all beautiful, keep in mind!

#1. it looks like sort of a desolate picture, there is more shadow in the picture rather than you; therefore, i am not sure i like it.

#2. this is a breathtaking picture, but it seems too posed.

the last "random" picture is amazing.

how about i fly you to LA and you do my wedding pictures in about 2 years?

user79

Thanks for the comments, was interesting to read someone else's take on the pictures! I like #4 as well but it's technically not perfect, the camera isn't completely in focus, my face is slightly blurred. I sharpened it as much as I could get away with in Photoshop but would have liked for it to be clearer. It was hard to do that shot because I had to focus it myself by reaching backwards, then get in place while the thing was set on a timer, so it's pretty much trial & error with those kind of shots.

Thanks for the feedback.
smiles.gif

Dawn

Administrator
Staff member
I like #2 & #4. The lighting/shadows on #2 are so pretty. Good Luck with your photography!

midnightlouise

I like the 2nd one best, but they are all really good. I like the interplay of light & shadow you have going on in all of them. Very nice!
smiles.gif

brandiisamonkey

I really like #2,3 and 4 though like you said 4 is kind of blurry but I think the softness is nice, sometimes the best pictures are the ones that tecnically AREN'T perfect
winks.gif
my fave out of those is #3 though I think its a truely stunning photo I like everything about it... and the last extra pic is amazing, thats something i'd liek to have framed on my wall stunning

neotrad

(As I am Japanese) I dig #2 for a geisha look best!
#5 is a great photo as well!
smiles.gif

That outfit looks more like chinese though you'd definitely look stunning in a real kimono(what geisha wears)!
winks.gif

I like how all these pictures came out anyway!

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotrad
(As I am Japanese) I dig #2 for a geisha look best!
#5 is a great photo as well!
smiles.gif

That outfit looks more like chinese though you'd definitely look stunning in a real kimono(what geisha wears)!
winks.gif

I like how all these pictures came out anyway!

Yes you are right, it's more Chinese. Geisha is not an accurate name for this series at all, I just didn't know what the appropriate term would be.
rofl.gif

Wearing a real kimono would be amazing but I don't have one, hehe.

Thanks!

msthrope

the light and shadow in the photos is wonderful in terms of the atmophere it creates.

where did you get that robe?

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by msthrope
where did you get that robe?

In Chinatown here in Montreal.

M.A.C*Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
OK as some of you may know, I dabble with photography on the side. I've been doing self-portrait shots lately, not because I'm so self-absorbed or something and think I need a million pictures of myself, but rather because I don't know a lot of people here that I can ask to pose/model for me and I have no one else that I can take pictures of the way that I want to. I have certain ideas in my head what I want to do, so it's easier to just do the stuff myself.

Now, I'm posting them here rather than on a photography forum because it's mostly girls and I don't want any wrong attention from guys and lewd comments and such, hehe. So anyway, here's some pics I've been playing with, can you girls tell me which - if any - you like the most? Or if there's any you don't like, feel free to tell me too.

These were taken with my Canon 20D, and a bit of work done in Photoshop but nothing dramatic.

And I'll just throw this one in cuz I kinda like it, it's different though, it's from a few days ago.

So any comments/suggestions please if you feel so inclined to give me some feedback, that would be great.

wavey.gif

encore.gif
BEAUTIFUL JUST BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!
encore.gif

MY FAVES ARE 2 & 4 THEY JUST LEFT ME IN AWE!
th_worship.gif

THEY SHOULD ALL BE IN A GALLERY......
smiles.gif

kaliraksha

I think you capture that essence in #3. #2 is the prettiest to me. #4 is hot. and your last pic is beeeaauutiful.

honestly, #1 although its a good pic of you ... your other ones are just much more artistic

mia88

I know this is late, but I just came across this now! I think number three is amazing
smiles.gif

Pei

IMO, No 2 is most representive of a Geisha.

No 3 portrays the modern Geisha. (U seem so unreal, v unique)

Overall, beautiful pics with lovely shadow casting.

ska_wiking

i love them! the look its wonderful! love the shadows! and you white skin
winks.gif
but i love more he last one! it's.. ohhhhhh!!
winks.gif
i think i want one like this..
winks.gif