Hakuhodo - makers of MAC brushes

LC Balthazar

Can't wait to get some more brushes... I just purchase some NARS from their recent collection & school shopping for my 6 yo is near...so I need to be frugal! lol
Hi Cindy,
I hope you don't mind my throwing in my two cents. I find that the J5523 is a closer dupe to the MAC 217. The J5533 is a round brush with a flattened head while the J5523 is a flatter brush with a tapered head (more similar to the 217). I am attaching pics to clarify. I hope that helps you. I love the J5523. It is softer on my eyes than the 217.

(L to R) J5533, J5523, MAC 217

(Top to bottom): MAC 217, J5523, J5533

cindypltnm81

Hi Cindy, I hope you don't mind my throwing in my two cents. I find that the J5523 is a closer dupe to the MAC 217. The J5533 is a round brush with a flattened head while the J5523 is a flatter brush with  a tapered head (more similar to the 217). I am attaching pics to clarify. I hope that helps you. I love the J5523. It is softer on my eyes than the 217. (L to R) J5533, J5523, MAC 217 (Top to bottom): MAC 217, J5523, J5533
No, dear I am most appreciative and thank you for your response :) You saved me from getting the wrong brush. I was definitely looking for the 217 dupe. Do you find that you gravitate for the j5523 more than the 217. They look dead on to one another! Thanks again.

LC Balthazar

No, dear I am most appreciative and thank you for your response :) You saved me from getting the wrong brush. I was definitely looking for the 217 dupe. Do you find that you gravitate for the j5523 more than the 217. They look dead on to one another! Thanks again.
Glad to help! The only difference I see is that the Hahuhodo is a tad fluffier. But, they work the same IMO. The Hahuhodo is softer so I usually prefer that.

allthingsglam

I
You know I have no fan brushes...are they useful for highlighting? My mac 187 (I have 2) is my HG for liquid foundations (mufe hd) . So you think the haku one is superior to mac 187 then? The j5533 is it better then the mac 217, in which I have 3 of those brushes too because its so multipurpose. Can't wait to get some more brushes... I just purchase some NARS from their recent collection & school shopping for my 6 yo is near...so I need to be frugal! lol
I forgot to mention that I don't have the mac 217 so I couldn't compare the only mac eyeshadow brush I have is the 239 my go to for eyeshadow love that brush

LC Balthazar

Which do you think is better for highlighting, J5521 or G5521? G5521 looks softer for pickup.
I got the J5521 for highlighting (and/or precise contouring) and the G5521 to use to set powder for under-eye concealer. They are both incredibly soft and can probably be substituted for each other. I thought the G would be softer for the under-eye area. When I tested them with a very pigmented highlighter, the G gave a slightly softer application. HTH. You can't go wrong with either I think! I love them!
cheerleader.gif

cindypltnm81

I got the J5521 for highlighting (and/or precise contouring) and the G5521 to use to set powder for under-eye concealer. They are both incredibly soft and can probably be substituted for each other. I thought the G would be softer for the under-eye area. When I tested them with a very pigmented highlighter, the G gave a slightly softer application. HTH. You can't go wrong with either I think! I love them! 
cheerleader.gif
Okay, but if you had to choose one? I want mine for mainly highlighting. Right now I only use my Mac 131 for highlighting and I want a new brush. Thank you again :)

Cannes

HI Ladies... Do I need K005? It's mentioned on every blog I've read but do I "need" it? Would I get more use out of G5512 instead?

I think I'm about ready to place my order but it's a lot of money so I keep going back and forth on a couple things.
I have the Misako Portable lip brush on my list but keep waffeling between that one and the kokutan portable lip brush which has a more squared tip.
I'd also love to hear your opinions on the others on my list...
J110
G5522
G5507
S121G

LC Balthazar

Okay, but if you had to choose one? I want mine for mainly highlighting. Right now I only use my Mac 131 for highlighting and I want a new brush. Thank you again :)
Ok, I used them a bit more and I think the J is better for highlighting. It picks up product better. I will use the G for light applications such as powdering under eyes and such.

sss215

You know I have no fan brushes...are they useful for highlighting? My mac 187 (I have 2) is my HG for liquid foundations (mufe hd) . So you think the haku one is superior to mac 187 then? The j5533 is it better then the mac 217, in which I have 3 of those brushes too because its so multipurpose. Can't wait to get some more brushes... I just purchase some NARS from their recent collection & school shopping for my 6 yo is near...so I need to be frugal! lol
I have one and I use it to sheer out a bright blush or to pat on a highlighter. It's not a necessity though. But nice to have.

allthingsglam

My fan brush is so soft I'm loving it i have been using it to apply my marylin monroe finishing powder loving it.im not fond of the brush cleaner the fact that u have to wash your hands good after each use makes me wonder wth is in this cleaner I feel like this may be to harsh for your brushes I don't what to use it then put the brushes on my face.watse of money IMO I'm looking to order my old faithful to clean my brushes

cindypltnm81

My fan brush is so soft I'm loving it i have been using it to apply my marylin monroe finishing powder loving it.im not fond of the brush cleaner the fact that u have to wash your hands good after each use makes me wonder wth is in this cleaner I feel like this may be to harsh for your brushes I don't what to use it then put the brushes on my face.watse of money IMO I'm looking to order my old faithful to clean my brushes
So are referring to hakuhodo brush cleaner? If so, I'm glad you mention before I waste $20 for it. I'll just stick Mac cleaner... It's a descent cleaner nonetheless.

allthingsglam

So are referring to hakuhodo brush cleaner? If so, I'm glad you mention before I waste $20 for it. I'll just stick Mac cleaner... It's a descent cleaner nonetheless.
Yes the hakuhodo brush cleaner I'm not feeling it I love Trisha brush bath cleaner worth the 22 dollars imo