Household Tips

ms.marymac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I agree. Especially since I work full time, the last thing I want to do when I am at home and don't have to work, is waste time cleaning. So I try to do the little things under the week, like taking out the garbage/compost/newspapers, spot-clean vaccuuming in areas that get used the most, wipe down kitchen counters and surfaces after cooking, try to pick up my shit as best as I can and not leave it all lying around. Then I do a big, thorough cleaning on the weekend but it goes a lot faster, 1-2 hours tops.

Another tip: After squeezing out a lemon, put the left over empty rind in the dishwasher utensil basket thingee, and run it with your normal dishwashing cycle (still using dish detergent). It makes your dishwasher smell fresh!

I do this too! If I am cooking, I leave the dishwasher open and put dirty dishes in as I go. By the time my food is in the oven, all I have to do is wipe down the counters. Add the dishes we used to eat dinner on and it's done. I have so many friends that leave dirty pots and pans out and then are too full and lazy after eating to clean it up-this method lets you sit on the couch holding your full belly after eating, lol.

Obreathemykiss

Yellow dawn gets grease out like a champ!

Used dryer sheets make wonderful dusters.

Gosh...I have this book at home it's called Clean it, Fix it, Eat it. There are so many good tips in there! I'll post some!

SkylarV217

Include a few tennis balls in each dryer cycle. The tennis balls not only cut drying time by 25% - 50%, but also fluff the clothes to a delicate softness, and towels with be especially fluffy.

Perspiration Stains/Odor: Soak the stained shirt in equal parts ammonia and water and add a few Tbls. of liquid dish soap overnight. Then, wash the shirts as usual.

Add half to a cup of vinegar to especially smelly laundry when washing like urine sheets from dog or baby bed. This helps to get the odors out the first time without rewashing several time

SkylarV217

White-Out / Liquid Paper and Permanent Marker Stains: Dab some sunscreen over the stain and rub off with a paper towel. Repeat until stain is gone.

Pet Urine on Carpet: First, blot up what you can with paper towels. Then, with warm, soapy water and a clean cloth, blot the area clean; rinse with clean water; blot until dry. Next, combine 1/3 cup white vinegar with 2/3 cup water and dab it on stain; rinse with clean water; blot until dry. Once the area is totally dry (at least 24 hours), sprinkle entire carpet with baking soda or rug deodorizer; vacuum after a few hours.

Vinegar gets rind of smoke smells, wipe down walls or wood with vinegar water mix ( This took off the disgusting tar left over when we moved into an apartment that the previous tenant had smoked in for 10 years.

Paramnesia

Toothpaste is great for cleaning stuff thats got stuck in jewelery.

Dishwashing liquid is good for cleaning oil stains.

To clean up dried spilled wax put paper towel/brown paper over the wax and use a heated iron over the paper towel/brown paper.

Esperanza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Another tip: After squeezing out a lemon, put the left over empty rind in the dishwasher utensil basket thingee, and run it with your normal dishwashing cycle (still using dish detergent). It makes your dishwasher smell fresh!

Gonna try this out!!
yes.gif

val-x

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarV217
For Blood stains Put garment in cold water for small amounts of water add 1 tbs ammonia and 1 tbs laundry detergent and let soak,( if larger amount of water adjust as needed) once a lot of the blood has been lifted , change water and repeat. This works wonderfully for soiled underwear . I was so excited to find this so I don't have to throw em out anymore =)

Would this work on old blood stains?(I didn't know)

SkylarV217

Quote:
Originally Posted by val-x
Would this work on old blood stains?(I didn't know)

You could try , i don't see why It would hurt .... I might try putting ammonia directly on the stain.... Test it in an inconspicuous spot first to make sure that it won't harm the garment.... then put it directly on the spot and let it sit... then try adding it with cold water and liquid detergent.... let it sit and then wash.... I've never tried it with anything that was an old stain like I said in an earlier post normally after a stain has been dried in a dryer it has essentially melted into the fabric and may be permanent .... I Hope it could work for you though

SkylarV217

Baking soda and vinegar make an excellent drain cleaner =) .... Pour baking soda in your drain and follow with the vinegar until it stops fizzing

KikiB

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers=absolutely amazing. We use them at work for everything-getting the fingerprints off the cabinets, cleaning counters and baseboards, but also to get scuffs off of our hardwood floors.

rbella

Put a cup of vinegar facing up in your top shelf of your dishwasher. It keeps your dishes and glasses streak free. When your dishwasher is finished, the cup of vinegar will be full so don't be alarmed (Be sure to consider the cup of vinegar dirty after the cycle ends).

For cat urine stains (in the carpet), clean as stated above with vinegar. But, instead of room deodorizer, sprinkle a bunch of table salt on the stain, cover with damp paper towels and leave for 2 hours. Then remove the towels and vaccuum.

Peanut Butter gets gum out of your hair.

If cats and other animals tend to dig through your trash at night, spray the inside of the bag with windex or any cleaner containing ammonia before closing it. Spray it generously. They don't like the smell.

Rubbing alcohol removes rings around bathtubs.

midge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbella
Peanut Butter gets gum out of your hair.

Mayonnaise also works for those really stubborn pieces of gum.

For nail polish on your clothes: Dab the excess liquid up immediately. Flip the garment inside out and flush with cold water. Spray the stain with bug spray and dab that up as well. Repeat until you either can't remove any more color or it's gone. If a stain remains, flush with cold water again, add some toothpaste (without whitening) and scrub with a bristle brush. An electric toothbrush if you have one. Throw it in the washer. Do not put in the dryer until the stain is gone.

Brittni

HELP!!!!!!!!!

What gets MAKEUP out of CARPET??? I had an oopsies with my mineral makeup a few too many times!

SkylarV217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittni
HELP!!!!!!!!!

What gets MAKEUP out of CARPET??? I had an oopsies with my mineral makeup a few too many times!

Try Resolve carpet cleaner. If that doesn't work, try Hydrogen Peroxide ....sometimes it bubbles it out....also I have used the CLEAR windex for black eyeliner stains....works wonders! But remember....blot blot blot! DO NOT rub in....just blot it and it comes out instead of rubbing it in more!

Of the wall might work .... Make up remover (i've not tried but it would be logical)

Then if you put make up on in the same place all the time , Buy a rug to put down to catch spills in the future , then just throw it in the washing machine