How Dirty Is Store Makeup?

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK
not at my mac counter...

The girls i see at the Mac near me, never seem to clean their brushes off..they do this thing where they dust them off on Kleenex.. thats not doing a damn thing ..

WHAT?!?!?!?! seriously?! you should say something, i've never seen that before that's disgusting.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Considering I've seen girls lick their fingers then touch the shadows and rub the colors on their eyes, I'd say pretty effing gross.

I watched a woman lick her thumb and use it to put on shadow from a tester. I don't know what was more irritating, the licking thing or the fact that she used her damn thumb to apply shadow. People are so nasty!

The dirtiest, most bacteria-filled spot on the planet has to be the Sephora in Times Square NYC. Bllleeaaa. Tourists from every corner of the planet have come to dip their scuzy little paws in those testers!

Beauty Mark

I love Sephora but don't try on their makeup, because it's like a drug store. Everyone goes in there, sticks their hands in the makeup, and leaves who knows what there.

Blegh. I'm not usually one to be a germaphobe, but whenever I go into a store that has a free-for-all of testers, I always use the q-tips etc, offered to me. I only do swatches on my hand, since it kinda skeeves me out to actually put anything on my face.

Seriously, everytime I go into sephora it looks like a barrel of monkeys got to the testers right before I got there. People can be such slobs. It makes me not even want to touch the m/u at all.

ginger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmopolitics
While this may not be department-store related, I can tell you right out that drugstore makeup is nasty, because I work at a drugstore cosmetics counter and I have seen with my own eyes these things going on. I think the biggest offenders are in the Loreal line, as most of them are unwrapped. I often see old women trying on (TRYING ON! UGHHHHHH!
puke.gif
) lipsticks, people dipping their dirty fingers in the foundation, people UNWRAPPING packages to try the product.

Don't these people get that makeup should be sanitary?

I have to check that awful Loreal wall at least once a week. You should see just how much product goes in the damage bin. It's quite a bit.

You know I really don't understand why they don't spend a few pennies and just seal the lippies in plastic or something. It won't completely stop people from opening and trying the stuff on BUT at least the person buying it will avoid the opened ones. Seriously they lose more money by not sealing their stuff because I can tell you right now I won't buy it if it's been opened and used.

geeko

yeah i've seen some people applying the lipsticks directly to their mouth...so gross!

by the way, I met one MAC MA who once offered me the ENTIRE NEW tester lipstick to try on my lips WITHOUT the Q tip, I immediately said no. It is not hygenic........ I mean yeah..i was a regular at that particular MAC outlet and she recognised me...but stilll it's so so so wrong to offer even your most regular customers to try on brand new lipstick tester without the Q tip! She was a nice MA in general though...just that i don't know what she was thinking at that time.

Anyway, when u go for your MAC makeovers, they also use the testers at the counter for the makeovers as well. Do all of u feel comfortable with it?? Since the are so many people touching the make up and lip colors...

amoona

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupnewbie
Anyway, when u go for your MAC makeovers, they also use the testers at the counter for the makeovers as well. Do all of u feel comfortable with it?? Since the are so many people touching the make up and lip colors...

There's a sanitation procedure that they're supposed to do before they use any of the stuff on you. I've never seen a MA in my area not follow that sanitation procedure.

Raerae

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona
There's a sanitation procedure that they're supposed to do before they use any of the stuff on you. I've never seen a MA in my area not follow that sanitation procedure.

Yeh, they sanitize it by licking their brushes, and then applying it to your face!

sexypuma

iagree.gif
I believe they dip the lipsticks in alcohol. To avoid all these issues I go to the counter the day before the collection is released. At least I know I am the first one to use those testers.

jillianjiggs

i was very impressed by mac and how they keep everything clean. with lipglasses, lipsticks, eyeshadows, everything. especially compared to drugstore testers, which i never touch.

i have seen girls walk into mac (girls i knew in higschool, no less), pick up the lipsticks or lip glasses and put it on right there. EWW?!?

jillianjiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupnewbie

i used to think they used the eyeshadow testers for makeovers, but i believe they had some in drawers that they carve a bit out of onto a tissue and apply that.

lipsticks, they don't use the floor display model. again they have a tube in the drawer that they scoop a bit out with a spatula and use that.

this goes for trying anything on in general, not just makeovers.

Shimmer

The MAs at the store I go to generally just use the pots that are out there.
Which is rather gross.

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoona

I second this. I have never felt grossed out by trying makeup at the MAC counter. Now if you want to talk about other counters....

shertz1981

Ugh. This issue is never going to go away, because there's no way to monitor the makeup 100 percent of the time.

MAC and Clinique and Bobbi Brown are the only counters where I'll try anything on, and I'll only try lip stuff at MAC and will *never* try mascara. I bring my own to makeovers. (But I also bring my own tools when I get manis and pedis, so maybe I'm compulsive.)

Willa

Yesterday I was at MAC to test the new Style It up lipstick.
The mua did it, her brush seemed(?) clean. It was ok for me.
I trust them...

But, I also went to INGLOT, and the lady wanted me to try their lipgloss on. She did it for me, but at the same time, I was thinking about those 2 ladies who were on the news here in Montreal. They are now stucked with cold sores(?) because the MUA at La Baie downtown Mtl didnt clean their brush...

I just HOPE that at INGLOT, they have good cleaning standards... :confused:

Chic 2k6

I've noticed these things i put up my hands, i did it before but since coming on Specktra, i learnt to use Q-Tips. When i was in Macy*s NYC, an MA picked up a l/s, applied it straight onto her lips then put it back again without sanitising it, eww. i was thinking, should you clean that? she was swatching e/s using her fingers :| all this was from an MA eep

i caught my older sister swatching MAC plushglass straight to her lips and she was horrified when i told her why she shouldnt do it, she learnt her lesson now lol

Macnarsandlove

I refuse to put anything from a makeup counter on my face. My worst fear is the mean pussing cold sore and other gross diseases. You will NEVER catch me putting anything on my face and using tissue and hand santizer after. I am left left with crappy sometimes ugly colors I've bought but its worth my health. And sephora does have a bunch or nasties walking around putting thier fingers on/in everything. Those are the same chicks that dont wash thier hands after they go to the bathroom.

user79

I always just swatch the stuff on the back of my hand, then wipe my hand with a kleenex after. I always check drugstore makeup if it's been opened before I buy.

macslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I always just swatch the stuff on the back of my hand, then wipe my hand with a kleenex always check drugstore makeup if it's been opened before I buy.

I remember being in the Walmart cosmetics area abd watching this old woman opening the lipsticks and trying them on from the stick.
WTF2.gif
Then she just closed the lid and put it back. :holysheep: I went and got an employee who told her to stop it and then hung around until she left. She told me that there are always having problems like that. Usually, not someone as old but still many problems.