Is love possible to find online? Am I crazy? or desperate?

kimmietrinh

Nothing wrong with finding love online. It only sucks if you're halfway across the world from each other. Which happened to me...and explained why it never worked out since we were younger at that time and couldn't afford ridiculous flight tickets.

But I am with the most wonderful man ever so I'm happy. ^^

AudreyNicole

Um, in a word, ABSOLUTELY. I met my husband of almost 9 years online. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I can't imagine my world without him. I will say though, that my meeting/dating him was the only good online dating experince I had.
lol.gif

Kind of funny actually... I had a friend in the Marine Corps that was stationed in NC. I thought I was talking to him on AIM one night, and it happened to be my DH, signed on under my friend's screen name. We kept chatting online, then on the phone, and then we met. Once we met in person, it wasn't long before we knew it was the real thing, and every weekend, he drove 500 one way from NC to PA to see me. We were married one year later. Our 9 year anniversary is coming up in July.
love.gif

PeachTwist

I realise this topic isn't about me however I just want to share!

I'm going to see my guy online in 6 days! I arrive in DC on June 2nd!
smiles.gif

(and after 22hrs of travelling this man better be worth it, lol)

sparklemint

I've seen a some loving couples who met online. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
I think it's a bit unreasonable to expect people to be limited by their town, people they see at work, and circle of friends, when looking for a partner. The good thing about the internet is that it's easier to connect with others from afar and meet people similar to you in hobbies, personality, life experiences, and other ways.

yazerella

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemint
I've seen a some loving couples who met online. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
I think it's a bit unreasonable to expect people to be limited by their town, people they see at work, and circle of friends, when looking for a partner. The good thing about the internet is that it's easier to connect with others from afar and meet people similar to you in hobbies, personality, life experiences, and other ways.

I agree with this!

Bjarka

I meet my boyfriend online.

We chatted for a good 6 months. He lived in the UK and I lived in Denmark. (Before we had started chatting, I had applied to go to University for a year in the UK.)

As we talked online, we both had developed chrushes, but not told each other. Before moving to the UK, I went on a field trip there, and we talked on the phone a few times too. As soon as I moved, he asked, if I'd like a visit. As I shared apartment with others, I considered it safe. And we just feel madly in love. Don't think I've ever fallen that fast!

In this case, I'm the one, that wasn't his usual type
smiles.gif

But now we are coming up on 6 years soon. We have moved about a lot due to education.
We want to get married (just need to figure out how to do it. Money, logistics etc.) and have kids soon
smiles.gif

It can definitely happen, if both are honest about their person.

And I did use to get the surprised looks, cause we were different nationalities, and the even bigger shock when they heard we had meet online. But the shock effect is getting less and less. Just think peoples minds are getting more open to it
smiles.gif

kabuki_KILLER

Where are all you ladies finding these wonderful men? From my experience, anyone I've met online first is either misrepresenting themselves or if they're worth the trip, don't give me the time of day.

Bjarka

I meet my boyfriend through okcupid... was sort of a chance-thing, me signing up for it. I wasn't even aware it was a dating site at the time, as I was redirected from an other page.

But that page has changed a lot since then, so the compatibility thing is now also given an attractiveness rating, which I can't see will help :s

But generally, I do think it mostly has to do with luck. Finding that one person on a site, that makes you weak in the knees, and is a genuine person too. There are a lot of fake people out there.

Cydonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuki_KILLER
Where are all you ladies finding these wonderful men? From my experience, anyone I've met online first is either misrepresenting themselves or if they're worth the trip, don't give me the time of day.

My fiance was actually a friend of an ex-boyfriend. My ex went to college about 7 hours away. He did development work for an online game with my fiance, and all of us ending up playing a different game together. So me and my (now) fiance ended up chatting just about the game and stayed friends after me and that guy broke up.

Years went by and we lost touch, I dug up his email randomly and found him on Facebook.

The timing was just right, we decided to meet in person and it was fireworks. The rest is history. If you would have talked to me a few years ago -- I would have admitted that he was very attractive and well, British, but nothing more. Obviously the timing wasn't right at that time
smiles.gif

rosegasm

i tend to think that guys i meet online.... are always messed up in one way or another.

my last ex, met on okcupid... and we were good for about 5 months. then he decided he might be able to procure greener pastures by not being with me. wanted to stay friends, and in a few years, could take me back. UGH. i tried that road, and it went noooowhere. i just ended up heartbroken and paranoid all the time.

took me about 7-8 months but i finally kicked him to the curb.

these men, are probably really good friends, but completely unreliable as a partner.

perhaps we just have high standards? haha

marusia

There are tons of people who met online and fall in love...Bobby and I met on Match.com. While we don't have a traditional love story, we are engaged with a beautiful daughter now. It can happen!
greengrin.gif

baton

i know lots of friends who met online and found love and got married and it worked out great b/c they took time to get to know one another. however i know of a friend in canada who claimed that she was in love with this guy from dubai who she was just chatting with online for a month. then he came over to canada to visit her right away, he moved in with her, and claimed that he was in love with her instantly. i warned her to slow down b/c basically she doesn't know anything about this guy, and he's now living with her after chatting online for a month. the guy turned out to be a real loser and ran up her credit cards and then left after a few months to return back home. in the meantime she was left with a lot of debt and had to file for bankruptacy. hopefully she's more on guard now wtih guys....howeve if you met anyone (in person or online) who leeches financially off you is someone that you want to be very careful with proceeding.

xFlossy

I was tawling the single Men in my town on Myspace of all places, I randomly added this man as I thought he was cute. We chatted for about 2 weeks until we decided to meet. Our first date was slightly awkward but we were inseperable since. We now live together and are getting married next year.

So there is hope, I think that meeting People online is the new speed dating and the stigma of Internet dating is slowly being lifted as it happens more and more often. If it weren't for the Internet, I wouldn't have met the love of my life!

NotteRequiem

I chance met my boyfriend about a year ago on a similar forum like specktra, only for comic books. We're very much in love, and we'll probably be moving in together by Christmas!

The thing about online is the same about meeting guys in real time. If you're looking for it, it wont happen the way it should. If you're not looking for it, it'll smack you right in the face. <3

kaliraksha

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuki_KILLER

The most successful online relationships I've seen are people who meet on a legitimate non-dating website they're genuinely interested in... like a forum on a subject they both enjoy, or a site about their local city, or an online game, etc. So basically, venture online to things you love and meet lots of people who love the same things you do... hopefully at least one of those will be a cute guy.
graucho.gif

NotteRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliraksha
The most successful online relationships I've seen are people who meet on a legitimate non-dating website they're genuinely interested in... like a forum on a subject they both enjoy, or a site about their local city, or an online game, etc. So basically, venture online to things you love and meet lots of people who love the same things you do... hopefully at least one of those will be a cute guy.
graucho.gif

This is -exactly- how I met my boyfriend. It was crazy how we met, and now we're so happy!!

Hay Mich

I met my bf on a Hockey message board! We were in some group chat and I was adding everyone to my msn. He messaged me privately and we just clicked. I think the fact that I was a big hockey fan didn't hurt either!
smiles.gif
It's funny how some things happen when you least expect it. We've been together over a year and have talked about marriage, kids, etc. He's also the first boyfriend I've ever had and I feel so lucky that I found such a wonderful guy on my first try.

AdlersMommy22

i know this is totally an old forum but im LOVING reading these stories.

i met my boyfriend online about a month ago.. on facebook
smiles.gif
hes in florida playing minor league ball right now and in 30 days im flying down to meet him
smiles.gif
.. im super happy/nervous ... he already calls me his soul mate and he is the most AWESOME man ive ever known <3

we skype every night.. but when his team is on the road he has a roommate and he always has to turn on the skype and then type to me while i talk so he doesnt wake his roommate up.. its super cute .. but we'll bring our laptops around the house with each other and just spend our days "with" each other.

im going down to florida for 6 nights and 5 days and im SO excited/nervous .. i really thought no one else had ever done something like this besides me! LOL!

tamarindi

I met my boyfriend online so it's possible, I mean the internet just gives you more opportunities to meet different people that you probably wouldn't have met otherwise.
And after you meet that person live for the first time it doesn't really matters where you first got in touch whether online or in the pub.

Of course if you live in different countries it will be a little more difficult but I have a friend who met a guy online from a different country, dated for a year (met every fey months) got married and a years later she finished her masters degree and left the country to live with him. 2 years later they are still very happy together.

hilaryrose

I think it's possible! I met my boyfriend online. He and I are so so happy, it's great. Our families don't know we met online (we're young - I'm 20 and he's 22) and only a few of our friends know, mostly because of that 'ick' factor.

Just be sure that you really do 'know' him. I dated someone briefly last year who I met online. We jumped into things much too quickly and by the time I really got to know him, I realized I actually hated a lot of things about him, and I didn't like ANYTHING about him. That was tough.

Latest posts