Let's shoot the animal...for being exactly what the animal is supposed to be?

BRYNN013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunu
But thats wild animals for you. Thats why we differentiate between pets and wild animals. They don't need to be provoked to kill someone/an animal, this is what they do and hence the name wild predators. That's their source of food 'meat'
We can't do much about it because this is what they are this is nature.

Yeah. I don't think they are evil, they are doing exactly what they are supposed to! And humans should realize that. But still, if its killing humans, it relaly does need to die.

tsukiyomi

I agree. I think zoos are barbaric anyway. I mean, why would you take the animal out of their own environment just to make money off of them? That's sad.

user79

I absolutely HATE when stuff like this happens. If I ever have kids I will never take them to a circus that has animals, and I'd have reservations about zoos too. Ugh.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukiyomi
I agree. I think zoos are barbaric anyway. I mean, why would you take the animal out of their own environment just to make money off of them? That's sad.

because that's the only way that many children ever experience ANY kind of live animal, excluding a domesticated cat and dog?
Because many of the animals in a wildlife exhibit (big cats like tigers, along with pandas, for example) are on highly monitored breeding programs that are fighting every single day to bring the animals back to numbers that aren't endangered due to poaching and killing?
Because in the larger zoos, the exhibits are actually really well designed (and barring the fact this cat escaped somehow), usually made to mirror the animal's native habitat?

I agree and believe that having to cage an animal is sad. It shouldn't be necessary...but were the pandas, tigers, lions, cheetahs, snow leopards, African Wild Dogs, etc. NOT on a monitored status, and bred regularly, they *would be gone*. No questions, gone. Extinct. I'd rather see them caged in a huge habitat and monitored than gone.

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I absolutely HATE when stuff like this happens. If I ever have kids I will never take them to a circus that has animals, and I'd have reservations about zoos too. Ugh.

I don't do circuses. I am completely and totally opposed to them and the way they treat animals. My kids will never see a circus that has live animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Because many of the animals in a wildlife exhibit (big cats like tigers, along with pandas, for example) are on highly monitored breeding programs that are fighting every single day to bring the animals back to numbers that aren't endangered due to poaching and killing?

Yup. Zoos, when properly funded and run, play a vital role in the survival of many animals. My problem is with the people that have exotic animals just to have them and zoos that are poorly run (the Baltimore Zoo comes to mind - it may be better now but it was downright depressing the last time I was there). I think oversight on this issue needs to be re-evaluated.

tsukiyomi

Quote:
because that's the only way that many children ever experience ANY kind of live animal, excluding a domesticated cat and dog?
Because in the larger zoos, the exhibits are actually really well designed (and barring the fact this cat escaped somehow), usually made to mirror the animal's native habitat?

I agree and believe that having to cage an animal is sad. It shouldn't be necessary...but were the pandas, tigers, lions, cheetahs, snow leopards, African Wild Dogs, etc. NOT on a monitored status, and bred regularly, they *would be gone*. No questions, gone. Extinct. I'd rather see them caged in a huge habitat and monitored than gone.

I see where you are going. But I still think it's terrible to cage a wild animal.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukiyomi
I see where you are going. But I still think it's terrible to cage a wild animal.

Because it's better to allow them to expire into extinction?

Something we will never change is human nature, and...these animal skins are coveted and hunted and poached. We'll never be able to change that no matter what we do, or say, or what laws we pass. Expecting human nature to change is too much, because it's not going to happen.

Better to protect them as best we can from the ones who would kill them.

purrtykitty

Quote:

Something we will never change is human nature, and...these animal skins are coveted and hunted and poached. We'll never be able to change that no matter what we do, or say, or what laws we pass. Expecting human nature to change is too much, because it's not going to happen.

Exactly. I live in Omaha where the Henry Doorly Zoo (supposed to be one of the best in the nation) and they take extreme care to ensure that the animals surroundings are as close to their natural habitat as possible. And the zoo is always building something bigger and better to provide even more comfort for the animals.

I heard something like 99% of all species that once roamed the Earth are now extinct. Now granted, much of those may be due to natural disasters (asteroids and such), but I wonder how many died because of humans? If we have the ability to save a dwindling species, then as good stewards of the Earth, it is our duty to do so.

tsukiyomi

Quote:

See, that's an area that I am not too sure on. I hate caging wild animals but extinction is sad too. They are both evils.

Beauty Mark

I think the Washington, DC (The National Zoo) is the best zoo I've been to. When I was thinking about animals and how one would get to them, I think you'd have to practically be dropped or jump into the animal exhibit in order to the tigers or lions to get to you.

I can't obviously sense everything about animals, but I've been to zoo and aquariums. The seals look happy, flirting with people and such. You have to remember that people domesticated the animals we have as pets. I'm not advocating that we should start domesticating tigers for pets, but I think there are adaptations animals can have that are indeed better than alternatives.

Of course, we can strive for better than what we have already with zoos. I hear the Disney zoo is wonderful, but I haven't been there.

kimmy

i think it's ridiculous that the police were called. the keepers should have been able to get the tiger under control (with tranqs) and shouldn't have needed the police there. i suppose maybe calling the cops after the fact to keep the crowd in check would have been acceptable.

but the fact of the matter is, a cop is not the one for the job.

it upsets me that an animal who's species consists of what, six hundred? individuals was killed for doing what nature intended it to do. i can't really blame the cops though, because again, they were NOT the ones for the job.

HOTasFCUK

This is what happens when animals are taken away from their natural environment. They did a whole special on this on nancy grace the other night and yes it is tragic but theres more behind the story and i really think those boys were causing some shit! I don't agree with them shooting the animal. They should've shot it with a tranquilizer to control the situation, not kill it! But i guess that's all those cops could do in the heat of the moment. What a beautiful animal, such a shame.