MAC Alluring Aquatic Collection (May 22, 2014)

Audrey C

About university education...

Every experience is different and you learn from mistakes and sacrifices.

One of problems were that my parents were against me having a job throughout my college years (something that hindered me greatly because of lack of experience) and they didn't want me out of the house--a good and bad thing because this can mean many things and limitations afterwards.--all this because they didn't wanted me to be in debt and struggle financially like they did at some point. To me, a college education is extremely important and without it I'm nothing, but without a job I'm still nothing because no matter how fancy your education is, if you don't have job, then your education was pointless.

They really should outlaw unpaid internships because it isn't fair for any struggling college student who have to make ends meet.

In other words, I think it's ok for parents to pay for their child's education if they want and have the means to pay, but the child should also work (a part-time job at least) as soon as you leave high school so that they can learn about how to budget, pay for finances (start with a phone or an internet bill or help a bit the tuition bill), and basically learn how to manage their life.
For what it's worth, I completely agree with you that it's important that students work through school. I don't know many people who are prepared to take a chance on a new grad who has never worked a day in her or her life. It's amazing how many resumes we get from people like that. It is NOT an advantage, even if your average was a bit higher as a result. That demonstrates academic ability, but doesn't say a word about work ethic or the ability to get along with other people.

My eldest two currently have part-time jobs and I expect that to continue when they start university this fall. I worked 30 hours a week to put myself through university; that was too many. But 10-12 or so? That should be manageable. I work 60-70 and run a house. Time management skills are important and must be developed. Mine want to continue living at home (we live near Toronto and a couple of Canada's top universities are within easy commuting distance); that means that they don't even have to shop for groceries, go to a laundromat (they can do their own here), etc. There should be time to work.

I could not agree more about unpaid internships. I think they're inexcusable. If it's not a fundamental part of the university curriculum (like my daughter's clinical requirements for nursing) then it shouldn't be permitted. I understand that in some fields (medical ones in particular, but I'm sure there are others) it's a requirement that students learn by watching/doing. I have no issue with that. None of us want to go to a doc who's never actually examined anyone, just learned about it from a book. But when businesses start using recent graduates to do work that they otherwise would have paid for, it's indefensible.

Jennifae

Specktra Bestie
I'm actually hoping for a repremote this time. I'm running very low on nude on board bronzer from Hey Sailor and I would love it in this packaging
eyelove.gif
I wouldn't mind getting another Nude on Board and Sun Dipped in this packaging, but I think someone mentioned that the bronzers are not PLW? I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but whatever they are, I hope they'd work for my skintone.

BeautyFan55

A lot of the posts regarding education are quite interesting so I will share my input. My family did not have the means to pay for my education. I was fortunate to have scholarships that paid for the majority of my undergraduate education. I also have 2 masters degrees paid for by loans, which I could not afford if not for the scholarships. I have always worked while going to school. I do not regret my decision to take out loans for grad school.I think education creates better opportunities. I am now an accountant studying to become a CPA, for me to do this I would have to pay for extra classes to get the education requirement. So I elected to get a masters instead, because I felt it was better to have a degree because I was putting in the work anyhow. Even though it was hard to work and go to school it builds character and a feeling of independence. Higher education is a personal choice and it is a shame that some people have choose not to get it because they can't afford it. But in some cases it is necessary for what you want to do. That's all I'll say back to makeup!

shontay07108

I've decided I'm just going to get two out of the three lipsticks and the compact, of course. Now I'm thinking maybe one of the nude glosses since I think it's time for a new one. It's been awhile. I've skimmed through some of the education talk and wasn't really interested in engaging, but the one thing I'll say is that my parents paid for my education. All of it and I never had a job until I was done with school. That's what worked for me. I wanted to focus all on my education and not spread myself thin. My parents were capable and happy to do it. When I started working I had bills to pay, I had tons of character and responsibility and all that jazz. I'm not any less of a person or have any less sense of budgeting or independence because I was gifted an education. There's no one way to raise your kids. Some people believe in tough love or letting a kid fly on their own at some point and some keep their kids close. It's trial and error. There's no manual and results may vary. ETA: two out of three lipsticks? I meant 3 out of 4 lipsticks. I think the education "rant" clouded my brain.

Beautybuyer

Maybe I'm a little confused here... the two compacts are bronzers. I'm pretty sure there aren't any other compacts in this collection. Only what's shown in the promo pic, 2 bronzers, 2 EDSF.
Yep the sites say bronzers. Even an original owner of the compact picture on Instagram said it was a bronzer. The msf will have those clear lids

BeautyFan55

The color story would be so helpful right now. ;) it's really hard to tell the exact color for the items. I think they change the style of the promo pics and you don't get the true color. My list could change dramatically.

Jennifae

Specktra Bestie
Based off your prices (which seem to be similar to the Magentic Nude collection) I should expect to pay around $150 for my list, which isnt too bad.

I cant wait to hear what is in the compacts. And what skin finishes are in the collection
Not bad! Maybe when we have the color story, I can cut my list down... but ED + summer collection + metallic teal packaging = bad for my wallet!
girlhaha.gif

Beautybuyer

Not bad!  Maybe when we have the color story, I can cut my list down... but ED + summer collection + metallic teal packaging = bad for my wallet! :haha:  
I'm hoping I can too lol I'll get both compacts but I'm hoping I can talk myself into one msf and two or three lipsticks!

pinkpaint

@shontay07108 You said everything I wanted to say perfectly. I'm in school now and my parents insisted that I didn't work. They know I indulge in the occasional MAC collection but, as long as I'm making A's and my rent's paid, they don't mind. Anyway, since the general rule here is that we don't judge how people spend their money, can we extend that to students, as well?

ChosenOne

I'm actually hoping for a repremote this time. I'm running very low on nude on board bronzer from Hey Sailor and I would love it in this packaging
eyelove.gif
I'm pretty sure one of the department stores in my area (I want to say Bloomingdale's?) still has Nude on Board from last summer's collection. I know it wouldn't be the pretty packaging like this year's collection, but if you want to give them a call to see if I'm remembering right, feel free to send me a PM and I'll give you their phone number! (Why yes, I do have the phone number for all my favorite MAC counters stored in my phone's contacts, why do you ask?) I think they even do free shipping if you have their rewards card, but don't quote me on that one.

MACina

Maybe I'm a little confused here... the two compacts are bronzers. I'm pretty sure there aren't any other compacts in this collection. Only what's shown in the promo pic, 2 bronzers, 2 EDSF.

sigh.gif
...I' m afraid you are right....and I have no need for a bronzer
ssad.gif

erine1881

The bronzers are in the compacts. That's it. There's no extra compact people. The visual shows the compact closed, and then shows the two bronzers that are in the compact, just like they do for every other collection.

MACina

That's what I thought... but someone said they will find out what's in that compact when the promo pic clearly shows 2 bronzers and 2 EDSF? There's a closed compact, but I think that's just a shot of the bronzer with the lid closed like I said.
th_dunno.gif

iagree.gif
....I think so too!

MACina

The bronzers are in the compacts. That's it. There's no extra compact people. The visual shows the compact closed, and then shows the two bronzers that are in the compact, just like they do for every other collection.
Thank you, Erin
bouquet.gif

shontay07108

I figured that yesterday and I felt real slow about it. My first Mac bronzer (and I'll probably never really use it anyway).

Debbs

Don't use bronzers. Interested in knowing the names of the EDSF. If they (the EDSF) are repromotes etc