MAC Après Chic Collection Discussion (December 2012)

martiangurll

Love the promo picture (TY Naynadine) but that is odd how they just have odd product names underneath that seem to be from past collections and not connected to the color story we have? I love the lippy the model is wearing, wonder if that is the red? Maybe its a gloss/balm???

liba

OH DEAR, ME OH MY.
icon_eek.gif
holysheep.gif
pompom.gif
MAC KNOCKED THIS COLLECTION OUT OF THE PARK.

I got to check out Apres Chic today in the back room (along with Strength and Taste Temptations - I'll put those thoughts in their own threads). I swear I thought going in that I'd pick up one MES, a couple blushes and lip balms and that would be it. OH HOW WRONG I WAS.

This collection is absolutely perfect in every possible way. I'm sorry if my hyperbole is so high, but I can't put it any other way how beautiful and perfect every single lip product, shadow and new blush is, not to mention the new pro longwear eye liners. The MES and new blushes are a NEW Mineralize formula, yet again, with the shadows vastly improved over everything that has come before and the blushes like the Naturally ones but with a shimmer that looks sparkly in the pan, but not on your skin. I was knocked out!

I'm cooking some dinner right now, but I'll be back in a few to totally go kookoo over everything in detail for your pleasure!

My personal favorites of the collection for now (Incredibly hard to narrow down): Rosy Romance balm, Warm Companion l/s (who would have thought a frost would be this spectacular???), Frost at Midnight MES (my perfect dusky but not dark blue/grey/plum), Night Trail liner, Alpine Bronze MB (all I can say is
eyelove.gif
).

The things that will be the general public favorites: Haute Attitude l/s (like a softer, more adorable Mehr), Mountain Air liner (this teal is outrageous), Winter Pursuit and Ice MES (I'll rave about these later), Rosy Romance balm and it'll be a deathmatch between Alpine Bronze and Amber Glow MBs.

Basically, I'm buying the entire collection minus the MSFs and a few of the liners and I totally kicking myself, but I honestly can't help it - this is THE collection that will give you your perfect day to day makeup looks for 365 days of 2013!!!!

Baby1black

OH DEAR, ME OH MY. :shock:  :sheep:  :pompom:  MAC KNOCKED THIS COLLECTION OUT OF THE PARK. I got to check out Apres Chic today in the back room (along with Strength and Taste Temptations - I'll put those thoughts in their own threads). I swear I thought going in that I'd pick up one MES, a couple blushes and lip balms and that would be it. OH HOW WRONG I WAS. This collection is absolutely perfect in every possible way. I'm sorry if my hyperbole is so high, but I can't put it any other way how beautiful and perfect every single lip product, shadow and new blush is, not to mention the new pro longwear eye liners. The MES and new blushes are a NEW Mineralize formula, yet again, with the shadows vastly improved over everything that has come before and the blushes like the Naturally ones but with a shimmer that looks sparkly in the pan, but not on your skin. I was knocked out! I'm cooking some dinner right now, but I'll be back in a few to totally go kookoo over everything in detail for your pleasure! My personal favorites of the collection for now (Incredibly hard to narrow down): Rosy Romance balm, Warm Companion l/s (who would have thought a frost would be this spectacular???), Frost at Midnight MES (my perfect dusky but not dark blue/grey/plum), Night Trail liner, Alpine Bronze MB (all I can say is :eyelove: ). The things that will be the general public favorites: Haute Attitude l/s (like a softer, more adorable Mehr), Mountain Air liner (this teal is outrageous), Winter Pursuit and Ice MES (I'll rave about these later), Rosy Romance balm and it'll be a deathmatch between Alpine Bronze and Amber Glow MBs. Basically, I'm buying the entire collection minus the MSFs and a few of the liners and I totally kicking myself, but I honestly can't help it - this is THE collection that will give you your perfect day to day makeup looks for 365 days of 2013!!!!
I did not read this. Will this collection be everywhere. I am having my baby this months. I cannot stalk the website and Defintely cannot go anywhere after labor what is my best option. Liba how was the Carmel lipstick. I am thinking of getting it with the Carmel blush.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
OH DEAR, ME OH MY.
icon_eek.gif
holysheep.gif
pompom.gif

I got to check out Apres Chic today in the back room (along with Strength and Taste Temptations - I'll put those thoughts in their own threads). I swear I thought going in that I'd pick up one MES, a couple blushes and lip balms and that would be it. OH HOW WRONG I WAS.

This collection is absolutely perfect in every possible way. I'm sorry if my hyperbole is so high, but I can't put it any other way how beautiful and perfect every single lip product, shadow and new blush is, not to mention the new pro longwear eye liners. The MES and new blushes are a NEW Mineralize formula, yet again, with the shadows vastly improved over everything that has come before and the blushes like the Naturally ones but with a shimmer that looks sparkly in the pan, but not on your skin. I was knocked out!

I'm cooking some dinner right now, but I'll be back in a few to totally go kookoo over everything in detail for your pleasure!

My personal favorites of the collection for now (Incredibly hard to narrow down): Rosy Romance balm, Warm Companion l/s (who would have thought a frost would be this spectacular???), Frost at Midnight MES (my perfect dusky but not dark blue/grey/plum), Night Trail liner, Alpine Bronze MB (all I can say is
eyelove.gif
).

The things that will be the general public favorites: Haute Attitude l/s (like a softer, more adorable Mehr), Mountain Air liner (this teal is outrageous), Winter Pursuit and Ice MES (I'll rave about these later), Rosy Romance balm and it'll be a deathmatch between Alpine Bronze and Amber Glow MBs.

Basically, I'm buying the entire collection minus the MSFs and a few of the liners and I totally kicking myself, but I honestly can't help it - this is THE collection that will give you your perfect day to day makeup looks for 365 days of 2013!!!!
thud.gif
Oh my. There goes my money.

I'll grab a snack and stay tuned, patiently waiting for your detailed review.

mrbean_popcorn.gif

Lisianthus

I know MAC is supposed to be edgy high fashion and all but that knit thing in the promo shots reminds me of the cheap, scratchy, acrylic scarves my granny used to knit!
tong.gif

Apres chic looks lovely. Can we still b2m for limited edition items?

valkolak

Thanks for the scoop, Liba! Haute Attitude sounds dreamy
th_e2cloud9.gif
. I thought I'd get off easy with these shadows, but a new formula?!
thud.gif
Bring on the mineralize madness!

kimibos

OH DEAR, ME OH MY.
icon_eek.gif
holysheep.gif
pompom.gif

eyelove.gif
).

yahoo.gif
....liba is back!!

Debbs

I was just promised $100 by my sister towards this collection once I go on a no buy next year for make up
I wasn't going to jeopardize such an offer so of course I say "yes"
I know definitely 4 MES is mine, 2 eyeliners (purple and navy blue) vs 3 (maybe teal) and the new e/s brush
I may add to this but not subtract!!!!

liba

Okey doke, here's the breakdown:

Lipsticks: Every single one of these has a wonderful texture and every color is soft and flattering. They all looked fantastic on me, and my skin tone can be a little picky about colors, so if they all worked on me perfectly, my conclusion is they're going to pretty much be universally flattering, although there are a couple that may be extra flattering on some. It's funny because there wasn't a single lipstick in Naturally that I liked on me and I didn't get any of them, while here I am, totally excited about getting all 5 from this collection. Even better, none of them are too light or with too much white mixed in, so they all ought to work for spring, but also for summer, fall and winter too! Honestly, they should all just be made perm, that's how universal they are!
th_e2cloud9.gif

Apres Chic: I have no idea how they got the lips in the promo pic to look so red - lip pencil had to be involved. Apres Chic looks like a medium toned brick red when swatched on the hand, so I didn't think it'd work for me (brick reds can be very aging on my rather sallow skin). But when I tried it on my pigmented lips, it came off as a very soft, medium warm spicy sort of coral/terra cotta tone, with a very slightly orange undertone. This is a hard one to describe - I'd call it a spicy persimmon red. It's softness and complexity reminds me of Keep It Casual, but it's even more flattering and wearable, in my opinion. It's also quite glossy, even for a cremesheen, but it went on totally evenly and smoothly and didn't emphasize lip texture in the least. Not sheer either. A very high quality cremesheen - if this is where that formula is going, I love it! This will be one of the first sell-outs, or I'm a monkey's uncle. If you liked Fire Sign, but wished it had had a little more soft and warm MLBB type of style to it, Apres Chic is your lipstick.

Cozy Up: This one is described as "deep caramel" but it's not deep at all. It's very much a mid-tone nude, without much white or pastel cast to it. It's very much like a deeper Salute!, but not so deep it starts to look like a brown color instead of a flesh tone or nude. I'd say it's about 20-25% deeper than Salute!, and by deeper I mean less white and light reflective, not actually darker. The nice thing is, it still has a radiant quality to it, it doesn't look flat or dull in the least. If Salute! works on you or you wish Salute! had just been a little less light, you will be in love with Cozy Up. I'm picky with nudes and mostly the ones that work for me are rather seasonal - like Restrict for the dead of winter and Salute! in the summer when I've got a bit of a tan - but I honestly will be able to wear Cozy Up all year without even having to do stuff like pat it into my lips or blend it down around the lip line to make it work. Just apply straight from the tube and look fabulous. It's the "good matte" and feels light on the lips, but is very pigmented.

Hot Chocolate: 90's lipstick ahoy! I had a color just like this back in the day from Poppy King (now Lipstick Queen). It does look a little like really creamy Swiss Miss hot chocolate. It's basically a complex, mid-tone plummy taupe. It's not particularly brownish, for a taupe color - there's plenty of soft, bluish plum undertone to it. It's not overly grey toned, but it leans in that direction, which is great if greyed out shades make your skin look too dead, but you want something subdued and softened (which grey tones handle so well). It's deeper than Cozy Up by a few steps. It's the new Satin formula, so it's more or less matte, but with a touch of moisture. On me (NC15), it does read more taupe than nude, BUT if you have darker skin, especially cooler toned, and pigmented lips, this just may become your new HG nude lipstick. Trust me on this, NW40 women - it really is beautiful. For lighter gals, be prepared for a full 90's retro feeling, but let's face it, that type of lipstick was popular for over a decade for a reason - it's very flattering but not shy!! If it feels a little too taupe, just use a rose colored lip pencil underneath or a soft pink gloss on top and you'll be right back in the comfort zone.

I'll keep posting....just don't want these to be hugely long!

liba

Lipsticks part 2:

Haute Altitude: This one is gonna sell out for sure. It's basically a softer, more feminine Mehr. What does that tell you?
sigh.gif
It's an Amplified, but it doesn't go on particularly glossy - it looks mostly matte to my eyes, but it feels nice and light on the lips. I get a little careful around these soft pinks, because if they're too pastel, they wind up being a little too sweet and cute for me, my age and my skin tone. Some of the Casual Colors, like Relaxation, are good examples of these types of pinks that just don't really work on me - they just make me look like I'm trying to hard to look 19 again. MEANWHILE, here's Haute Altitude, that is just mid-tone and non-milky/pastel enough to totally, totally work. I put it on not expecting much and we all had to stop and stare, like wow, that is awesome. It's a teeny touch greyed out, but only the slightest bit to soften the brightness. The color gets its depth from that tiny touch of grey and a decent helping of blue-rose undertones for vibrancy. It's a fabulous soft pink nude that actually reads pink AND nude at the same time, for a change - for me this is certainly quite an achievement. It's complex enough to not fight with my sallow skin undertones, which is a big issue for me with soft pinks. I'd call Haute Altitude an HG for this particular type of shade.

Warm Companion: I tried Cozy Up first, because in the tube, this one looked very similar but lighter, and I really felt like I've got enough lighter nudes, like Salute! and Playing Koi. I also didn't much care for Innocence, even though I'd been excited to try it when it came it - it didn't live up to expectations. So, I tried this one on last just to be thorough. Good thing I did, because wow, this one looked so good. It has a gleam to it and looks lit from within, but it's not headlight-bright. It reads as a soft apricot nude, but with a glow and glisten from within. This is honestly the nicest light- colored MAC frost I've ever tried (and I do like Soft Sable and the old Wonder Woman Heroine quite a bit). It's so modern looking, but not outrageous; just super sexy. I already had on some of the new liners and Frost At Midnight MES and both new MBs on and Warm Companion just made the whole look click. In a collection of 5 really really strong, perfect day-to-night lipstick shades, this one may actually be my favorite, because it felt like it could be dressy or casual, wild or subdued, just depending on what else you did with the rest of your makeup, hair and clothes. Very cool-toned pale girls may have a little more trouble with this one, but I think it'd be easily dealt with by using a soft pink gloss on top to undercut any apricot tone that was a little too much against your super cool-toned skin. Just like Hot Chocolate, I think you could just slap on a bit of Stay Warm! mineralize balm and it'll go right into Gorgeous Town.

Will I back any of these up? I just might, although I'm already buying all 5 of 'em
wondering.gif
. If I do, it'll probably be Warm Companion and Haute Altitude for me, but that's only because their textures are a touch more versatile than just matte or satin when it comes to nudes. Honestly, to have a collection of MLBB colors where every single color looks great on me and each of them looks distinctly different on me from the others is what I'd call a serious makeup magical feat. I can't wait till the 26th, which is when this collection officially comes out in stores. My gigantic pile will be waiting for me.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Thank you, Liba!!
I tried to focus on the mineralize stuff, but Haute Attitude sounds perfect. Warm Companion is also on my list for now.

Merula

Thanks for the information liba!

I really want Hot Chocolate now, and I'm definitely looking forward to Warm Companion

Urmi

Thank you Liba!! How would you compare hot chocolate with sheer plum?
Okey doke, here's the breakdown: Lipsticks: Every single one of these has a wonderful texture and every color is soft and flattering. They all looked fantastic on me, and my skin tone can be a little picky about colors, so if they all worked on me perfectly, my conclusion is they're going to pretty much be universally flattering, although there are a couple that may be extra flattering on some. It's funny because there wasn't a single lipstick in Naturally that I liked on me and I didn't get any of them, while here I am, totally excited about getting all 5 from this collection. Even better, none of them are too light or with too much white mixed in, so they all ought to work for spring, but also for summer, fall and winter too! Honestly, they should all just be made perm, that's how universal they are! :cloud9: Apres Chic: I have no idea how they got the lips in the promo pic to look so red - lip pencil had to be involved. Apres Chic looks like a medium toned brick red when swatched on the hand, so I didn't think it'd work for me (brick reds can be very aging on my rather sallow skin). But when I tried it on my pigmented lips, it came off as a very soft, medium warm spicy sort of coral/terra cotta tone, with a very slightly orange undertone. This is a hard one to describe - I'd call it a spicy persimmon red. It's softness and complexity reminds me of Keep It Casual, but it's even more flattering and wearable, in my opinion. It's also quite glossy, even for a cremesheen, but it went on totally evenly and smoothly and didn't emphasize lip texture in the least. Not sheer either. A very high quality cremesheen - if this is where that formula is going, I love it! This will be one of the first sell-outs, or I'm a monkey's uncle. If you liked Fire Sign, but wished it had had a little more soft and warm MLBB type of style to it, Apres Chic is your lipstick. Cozy Up: This one is described as "deep caramel" but it's not deep at all. It's very much a mid-tone nude, without much white or pastel cast to it. It's very much like a deeper Salute!, but not so deep it starts to look like a brown color instead of a flesh tone or nude. I'd say it's about 20-25% deeper than Salute!, and by deeper I mean less white and light reflective, not actually darker. The nice thing is, it still has a radiant quality to it, it doesn't look flat or dull in the least. If Salute! works on you or you wish Salute! had just been a little less light, you will be in love with Cozy Up. I'm picky with nudes and mostly the ones that work for me are rather seasonal - like Restrict for the dead of winter and Salute! in the summer when I've got a bit of a tan - but I honestly will be able to wear Cozy Up all year without even having to do stuff like pat it into my lips or blend it down around the lip line to make it work. Just apply straight from the tube and look fabulous. It's the "good matte" and feels light on the lips, but is very pigmented. Hot Chocolate: 90's lipstick ahoy! I had a color just like this back in the day from Poppy King (now Lipstick Queen). It does look a little like really creamy Swiss Miss hot chocolate. It's basically a complex, mid-tone plummy taupe. It's not particularly brownish, for a taupe color - there's plenty of soft, bluish plum undertone to it. It's not overly grey toned, but it leans in that direction, which is great if greyed out shades make your skin look too dead, but you want something subdued and softened (which grey tones handle so well). It's deeper than Cozy Up by a few steps. It's the new Satin formula, so it's more or less matte, but with a touch of moisture. On me (NC15), it does read more taupe than nude, BUT if you have darker skin, especially cooler toned, and pigmented lips, this just may become your new HG nude lipstick. Trust me on this, NW40 women - it really is beautiful. For lighter gals, be prepared for a full 90's retro feeling, but let's face it, that type of lipstick was popular for over a decade for a reason - it's very flattering but not shy!! If it feels a little too taupe, just use a rose colored lip pencil underneath or a soft pink gloss on top and you'll be right back in the comfort zone. I'll keep posting....just don't want these to be hugely long!

MissTT

Liba I was planning to skip this entire collection, but your description has put every single lipstick on my lip and we're not even close to the same color. Brava!

Naughtyp

hmm... going to have to wait for swatches to decide for sure . the lipsticks sound different from what I was expecting