MAC Après Chic Collection Discussion (December 2012)

liba

Sorry!! It's been a busy night over here, but here's more deets on the eye shadows.

MES: Wellllll, MAC just keeps improving and improving these. Every time I think, OK it's not going to get better, it gets better. That's good enough for me to buy some more MES, but when MAC can give me a new formula AND new colors that aren't like anything I already own, that's really awesome and I am going to be handing over my cash.
mac_atemywallet.gif

What's new? The texture on these is so good. First off, the closest thing I can compare it to is the texture of Shimmermint, except without all the fallout and powderiness. These are exceptionally smooth and non-powery for MES. They all have a TON of very very fine micro shimmer. They look very sparkly in the pan, but depending on how you apply them, you can get them to not look sparkly on the eyes (applied dry with a flat brush), just lightly sparkly (tried dry with a 217 then spray with Fix+) or massively metallic and shiny, but not glittery (picked up with a wet brush then applied). They have veining, but not the sort that would make an enormous difference, for the most part. I didn't get the chance to hand pick any of them today, because I was in a bit of a rush, but I'll be back to vein hunt a bit. Still, the way the colors and textures are, I think we're dealing with primarily pre-mixed colors with the veining more for show. To find really blotchy ones in this formula, so you can more easily pick and choose colors, is going to be tough and really kind of unnecessary - I will explain more below. Finally, there's a buttery quality to all of these that leads me to think the wear time is going to be quite improved - I didn't get to test all that out because I went straight from the store to work out so I took it all off, figuring I didn't want to sweat it all over my face. These are so versatile - I'm probably going to get them all, which I haven't done with any shadow collection in quite a while.

Ice: Did you like the look of that lightest Pressed Pigment, but felt it was too glittery and chunky? Well, here ya go. All of the glistening, none of the chunks and zero fallout. This one will be a contender for selling out, since it's the perfect shimmering pale neutral eye. I'm happy with my Pressed Piggie, so if I skip any of these, this would be the one, just because the actual shade is the same and the only real difference is the size of the shimmer. No fallout, though, and no sparkle residue when you remove it. In fact all of these MES cleaned up super easy with just a wipe and didn't leave random glitter anywhere. Yet another great feature.

Silver Birch: Another contender for sell out. This one really took me by surprise. It's a melange of peach and dark charcoal silver with some pale olive/gold shimmer in there. Blended together and applied wet it becomes this AMAZING color that's sort of like liquid tarnished metal - like a very pale olive almost, but the metallic sheen sits up on top of a deeper undertone - it's not duochrome...it's more like the effect you get with the glorious Golden Gaze MES, where the bronze color sits on top of the black base, except Silver Birch is so smooth and reflective compared to Golden Gaze. It really looks like liquid mercury. Another thing about it, I normally can't really wear pale olive tones very well, or cool, light silvers, but somehow, there's enough depth to this color that it looks fabulous even on me. Gals with darker skin tones are going to look like liquid metal goddesses with this one. It's one of the most unusual metallic eye shadows I've come across. Exceptional!

Frost At Midnight: This is the one I was going to get no matter what, and I still feel the same way. It's this magical greyed down, silvery purple/blue. It's what I hoped for with some of the earlier MES like Winterized and Twilight Falls but didn't really deliver. Unlike Winterized, which is the only thing that is even vaguely similar to this super complex color, the color is not dark or muddy. It's very clear and mid-tone, not blackened. You can clearly see the color in it and when applied wet (or even dry, though it's more subtle) it has a beautiful iridescent shift between purple, blue and silver. It's like a magical fairy forest sky at night. I am so thrilled with this baby. Applied dry, you could totally wear this for day time without getting stuck with a smokey eye. You can go full glam at night with this wet, or applied over a dark base. Seriously, a major color for 2013 - my bet is it will wind up being my favorite shadow color for the whole year.

Winter Pursuit: This one's my MA's favorite out of the 5. The pan was primarily copper, but with patches of blue-grey peeking through in chunks. Applied dry, it doesn't read as coppery as it looks in the pan. Instead it's just a very subtle warmish neutral that does that instant wake up effect on your eyes. Great for a subtle contoured look. Wet, you get a duochrome effect, with a silvery blue highlight sitting on top of the pale copper base. Very soft and beautiful and not your run of the mill brassy copper color at all.

Fireside: Now, this one really looks duochrome, even when applied dry. In the pan you see a warm plum color mixed with swathes of greenish blue grey, but when applied, it looks very much like Blue Brown pigment, except softer and not so harshly metallic. It's smooth like the similar color in the green Crushed Metal set, but of course, also not as shiny and metallic. Even wet, it's not too metallic. It's the soft version. I love it, but then again I just love that particular duochrome and am very happy to have it in various levels of shimmer, shine and metallic-ness. So incredibly flattering, and surprisingly unlike Winter Pursuit - they're similar, but a different enough effect that I don't see a problem buying both. Your mileage may vary; if you're looking to save money, I'd say go see these in person. It's possible on some skin tones they will look a lot more similar.

Yep, these are all awesome. MAC take my money!

liba

hmm... going to have to wait for swatches to decide for sure . the lipsticks sound different from what I was expecting
They were way better than I was expecting, that's for sure! One thing....none of these lipsticks look the same in the tube or as a hand swatch than they do on the lips. If you're trying to figure out what you want just from pictures online, go by the ones where they're on the lips, preferably full face. The good thing is, most of these colors will be flattering on anyone. I don't think there'll be a lot of "uh oh, this color makes me look like a zombie or a clown or a zombie clown."

liba

OK moving right along:

Mineralize Blushes: I only checked out the two new ones. Dainty isn't going anywhere. In the pan, these both seemed awfully sparkly, even if it was very fine micro-sparkle. Once I applied it, I couldn't see the shimmer at all in various indoor lights. I don't know where it went, but it wasn't showing up on my face. I bet in strong sunlight, you'd see it. Maybe in candle or fire light too. Don't be afraid of the shimmer. What these are like is basically all the perfection of the Naturally MBs, the way they just fuse with your skin color and the excellent buildability, but with a dense layer of micro-reflects in there to add an extra radiance once applied. The Naturally ones look quite matte on, while these look like radiant, glowing skin. Again, you don't see any glitter at all. I kept peering and peering at my cheeks, hunting for it, and I couldn't spot it. They're very tough and long-lasting too. I did an hour workout right after and was sweating up a storm and the blushes stayed on. I was impressed. I washed my face after my workout and only then did it all come off. Also, these are not powdery or crumbly in the slightest. They're not veined, so you don't have to get worried about that. There's a very slight marbleized effect, but much less than the blushes from Semi Precious. Don't sweat the vein hunting!

Alpine Bronze: This is a contouring color from heaven for me. It's not orange, it's not red, it's not too brown. It's not dark at all. The description says mid-tone caramel, but it's what I'd call the light end of mid-tone. There's plenty of pigmentation, but the color is quite sheer too, so you can build it up very easily and you won't accidentally get clown cheeks if you put too much on. Very fool-proof for a basically brown blush. I really like this trend of blushes that are a little more than a bronzer, but basically do the same thing. I first applied this as a contour only and that was tres sexxxay, but then I put it all over the cheek and the color was soft and subtle enough for that to look great too, and not overdone at all. On darker skin, you'd have to build it more and I suppose at some point it's going to be more of a highlight or accent color for much darker skin - use a deep contour shade then use this over to add more color and warmth, is my suggestion. Even still, if you're quite dark, you may want to check this out in person if you want a color that will really show up well as more than just a sheen.

Amber Glow: This one is very light. It's not powdery or ashy though, due to that wonderful texture. I didn't care for Solar Ray and didn't buy it, but this manages to be a similar sort of thing, but much more effectively. I think it's only good for adding the most subtle wash of color. The main thing it has is a great color canceling effect. It totally smooths and brightens the cheeks, in the same vein as Forever Marilyn, but not quite as matte. Still, you don't see the shimmer when applied. I do think you could apply it wet and get a super wet-look highlight but I didn't get a chance to test that out today. If you have Light Year MSF, you might be able to skip this, but Light Year adds less color and has more of a sparkle on top of matte effect, while Amber Glow is more of a natural satiny effect. One last thing, the texture is not powdery, so if you have peach fuzz on the cheeks, it doesn't highlight your pelt. I'm a little fuzzy (sort of in the middle of the fluff spectrum) so I hate powdery blushes that sit on top of the fuzz. If you're darker skinned, the peachy color is going to show up a lot better. Medium skin tones and olive skin will get a real boost with this one and I think darker skin tones will be able to use this as a cheek bone accentuator, without it looking ashy, due to it not being powdery and not really having a lot of white/pastel in the tone.

I usually don't buy really light blushes, because they usually don't do much for me, but I'm definitely getting Amber Glow for the color canceling and accentuating it does. Alpine Bronze is a must have for me, but if you have Worldy Wealth and are ambivalent about it, AB might not be for you either. It's less heavy and also a bit softer in color than WW, so it's a bit easier to get used to. If you're not a MB fan, do you need these? Maybe, maybe not. I think they're fantastic and make application very easy and effortless, but I already love MBs. I think there will be a lot of blushes in this vein coming up this year, so go try them in person and if you're not in love, something better will be along (In fact, the blushes from Strength are stupendously gorgeous too and might do what these do - I honestly am getting all 4 because they're all excellent nude blushes and I've avoided those for a long time because the shades or textures were never quite right until now).

Naughtyp

liba, frost at midnight sounds beautiful!!! is dainty the pink blush? did u check out the mineral lip balms? that's what I mostly wanted from this collection.. as far as the lipsticks go, I usually go for really bright bold lip colors, just hot my first nude last month! ( just started collecting lipsticks in 2011, I was mainly a gloss girl. then I got tired of my hair sticking to it lol. now I buy both!! lol) did u get to see the eyeliners? or wait... did u post about those already? too many threads to keep track!!! :shock:

Naughtyp

ok now that I've looked at the promo pic again I think I stil want haute altitude and hot chocolate lipsticks ;) dammit mac! why hit us all at once like this ;( so glad I skipped a few summer collections this year lol

liba

did u get to see the eyeliners? or wait... did u post about those already? too many threads to keep track!!!
icon_eek.gif
The eyeliners and the lip balms both were very good, but there are some pros and cons, depending on your tastes. I'll write 'em up tomorrow because right now I'm sleeeeeepy and ready for bed.
sleepy.gif

BuickMackane

Until I read liba's reviews I was certain I'd get a maximum of 2 items from this collection. And that was at a stretch.

Now?

- Hot Chocolate (maybe - for the nostalgia value, if not for anything else. Kinda like a tribute to my misspent youth)
- Haute Altitude (probably - I was sold when liba mentioned the "touch of grey")
- Alpine Bronze (maybe - I never use bronzer and I might as well give it a whirl. A girl's gotta start somewhere)
- Silver Birch (defo - liquid tarnished metal? Bring it on!)
- Frost At Midnight (probably - blue/purple = default buy. No swatches necessary)

And that's excluding the MSFs and lip balms. And the LE eye brush (because it's a brush and it's LE).
Why o why did I see this thread? I PROPHESY DISASTER!
eeksign.gif

ChosenOne

Wow, liba...thank you so much for your detailed reviews!!! I knew I would want a couple of things from this collection, but thought I would be able to keep it to a lipstick or two and a few PLW e/ls. But now I'm thinking I'm in trouble!!! I've already spent sooooo much money between GD and now on MAC, I'm gonna have some big decisions to make about how much I need to limit myself with AC and whether to order online or in stores. Usually I order when collections release online (I like getting my things early!), but since I'm anticipating wanting so much from this collection, I'm debating if I should see if a store will hold my things for me so I can pick them up 12/26 and hopefully pay for them with gift cards (fingers crossed I get a few of those for xmas this year!). To hold out for the possibility of gift cards, or to just throw my whole wallet at MAC (again) when this launches online?

Seriously, MAC...stop being such a black hole for my money!!! It's okay if you come out with a collection I have no interest in once in a while!!!

mac_atemywallet.gif
...again

OctoberViolet

Thank you so much again liba! I'm only going to buy Hot Chocolate lipstick. It sounds like a very unique & interesting shade. The minute you mentioned Grey/bleu/plum undertones I knew I had to get it. When you review the eyeliners I'll decide if I want to get one or two of those.

martiangurll

Wow, liba...thank you so much for your detailed reviews!!! I knew I would want a couple of things from this collection, but thought I would be able to keep it to a lipstick or two and a few PLW e/ls. But now I'm thinking I'm in trouble!!! I've already spent sooooo much money between GD and now on MAC, I'm gonna have some big decisions to make about how much I need to limit myself with AC and whether to order online or in stores. Usually I order when collections release online (I like getting my things early!), but since I'm anticipating wanting so much from this collection, I'm debating if I should see if a store will hold my things for me so I can pick them up 12/26 and hopefully pay for them with gift cards (fingers crossed I get a few of those for xmas this year!). To hold out for the possibility of gift cards, or to just throw my whole wallet at MAC (again) when this launches online?

Seriously, MAC...stop being such a black hole for my money!!! It's okay if you come out with a collection I have no interest in once in a while!!!

mac_atemywallet.gif
...again
This collection is going to decimate my funds for after christmas.
If I am forced to choose, I will focus on the MES, as I will pick pretty eye products over lip products in a fair fight, but I know I want at least 3-4 MES (maybe I am on Team 5 for those) and 2 of the blushes. I think I will skip the nude lippies, but Hot Chocolate will be mine and liba you are making me want to get ALL of the lipsticks. Your reviews just made my day!

aradhana

The eyeliners and the lip balms both were very good, but there are some pros and cons, depending on your tastes. I'll write 'em up tomorrow because right now I'm sleeeeeepy and ready for bed.
sleepy.gif
thanks for your reviews!!!
everything sounds wonderful!

Liz2012

Thanks for all the info Liba, very useful!
thmbup.gif
I'm so excited for this collection, especially the Tinted Lip Balms
yahoo.gif
I've been on a gloss no-buy the past months for them so i really hope they'll be amazing. I'm also lemming Haute Altitude right now, a softer more feminine Mehr sounds truly stunning!
th_e2cloud9.gif

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
Thanks again, Liba! I don't even know where to start, so much info. I like this collection so much that it's overwhelming. I will need swatches, especially of the MES, to finalize my list.

My rough list, which needs to be refined:

- Haute Attitude
- Warm Companion (mmmaybe...)
- the pink balm
- both new MBs (I was hoping for a matte finish, but nothing can stop me from getting them.
lol.gif
)
- Stereo Rose (x2 if I can afford it. Probably not.)
- 287 brush
- don't have a clue which MES, pending swatches

I really like the description of Hot Chocolate and Cozy up too, but I think those are not for me.
I'm sure I would like the red nail polish as well, but trying to skip.
Now fingers crossed that I can afford most of what I want.
drama.gif

Is haute altitude similar to lazy day in color??
Good question!

CartoonChic

Oh liba, I wasn't planning to get any MES from this collection. I thought I was covered with the MES I got from Heavenly Creature. But your descriptions make each one seem like must haves. My wallet spontaneously combusted at the mere thought of adding the MES to my list.