MAC Fashion Sets 2013 Collection (April 2013)

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by sss215
The shadows just haven't been great in a long time, especially in comparison to other companies that are selling better products at a fraction of the cost.

My experience is that LE MAC shadows are inconsistent. Some are great - creamy application with good color pay off - and some are hard, dry, and difficult to work with. This variability means i have to test them to see if they'll work for me. I don't understand why MAC seems to have so much trouble bringing out consistently good e/s in their collections. Most of the standard shadows i've tested seem more consistently decent.

As far as other brands go, my local sephora doesn't carry a lot of lines that sephora in general carries, and there are no dept. stores in easy reach. So i confess i still look to MAC, but i buy other brands when i like the colors and finishes - Make Up For Ever, NARS, Urban Decay... but they're certainly no cheaper than MAC.

And although a fraction of the cost of MAC, most drug store eye shadows have limited staying power and fade fast on me, even with eye primer. And Wet 'n' Wild in particular makes my eyes burn intensely. I though i was getting a great deal with some WnW palettes, but for me they are unwearable because the pain just isn't worth it.

What brands would you recommend?

Bliss

Deep Throat is one of my favourite blush. I have Orgasm in a palette, but I really don't wear it because of the strong metallic sheen. I think you'll like DT much better if you're not a glitter person.
cheerleader.gif
YAY lol am gonna definitely place a sephora order for those items... THANKS

lilinah

Quote: Originally Posted by Bliss
That would be awsome.. Thanks... Am also warm toned and dislike glitter and overly shimmery products... I also notice you have deep throat, I swatched orgasm cause of it pretty color, but I felt is was overly shimmery... Would you recommend deep throat instead?

I'm someone else, but i'll butt in. I like a little shimmer on my cheek bones, although i prefer my blush colors a bit subtle - no hot pinks or bright oranges for me. I felt that Orgasm was pretty, but both too metallically shiny and too strongly colored for me, so i passed on it. I bought Deep Throat - the color is similar to O, but a bit tamer and it has a bit of shimmer, but soooooo much less that O. I find it much more wearable. I don't know if it would still be too shimmery for your preference. I'd say it's worth a swatch test.

MacNcheese

Now that I've seen T's swatch of heroine nail polish I think OPI "Do You Lilac It" is a close dupe.

http://www.temptalia.com/mac-heroine-nail-lacquer-review-photos-swatches

erine1881

Awesome Awesome swatches. Thank you. Could u remind me what SC is. Thanks.
So Chaud
thanks for all the swatches/comparisons erine!! EM is similar enough to PiPi and DLG (both of which I have) that I don't feel bad for skipping it at all! woohoo
Not at like DLG. DLG is definitely more purply.
Thanks; this is very helpful. I'm glad Ablaze is very different from SLV. If it's too bright, I'll wear it as a stain.
It's bright, but it's GORGEOUS!!!
Thanks so much for all your swatches! Ablaze looks soooo pretty! It reminds me of Toxic Tale in this picture, but it might seem so pinktoned because it has all the orange colours next to it. Do you think it's similar to TT? Also do you find Lasting Sensation close enough to Ablaze lipliner? It seems so in your picture, but sometimes it's just hard to capture the difference (or maybe I'm looking too hard for a difference haha).
178aca74_image.jpeg
They are almost the exact same colour, with TT being a bit darker. And of course the finish is different. If you missed out on TT, get ablaze and add a bit of gloss, unless you want it matte ;) Ablaze pencil is a bit darker, but unless you're one that needs matching pencils, you can get away with using LS. It's just a bit lighter and a slightly different shade.
In person are magenta and heroine dupes. They look almost the same, except heroine looks smoother. Do i need both?
Heroine is definitely more purple than than magenta, which is more, well, magenta. And yes, the textures are WAAAY different! Heroine is smooth and buttery, magenta is most definitely not that!
Glad to hear... I know back injuries aren't easy AHHH... Imagine if I had skipped EM because it was close to PiPi.... I would have regretted it lol... Great swatches & comparisons... I feel DLG doesn't compare to EM 
No kidding! I had a back injury years ago that kept me from working for 4 years. I couldn't even stand for more than 10 minutes without doubling over in pain. Never officially diagnosed it (took those entire 4 years to find a fix) but i take a muscle relaxer (usually given to people with MS or spinal cord injuries) every day. I've been on it for 7 years now and i haven't had a single twinge of pain! You wouldn't believe all the tests and treatments i underwent! Back to EM, it is most definitely different than DLG. There's obvious purple in DLG that isn't in EM at all!

MacNcheese

Back to EM, it is most definitely different than DLG. There's obvious purple in DLG that isn't in EM at all!

I am glad to hear that. I was going to skip EM because of how people were saying they were so close. I wanted something pinker since I don't have PiPi or QS. I am a happy camper!

Also, glad to hear that you are feeling better.