Makeup is NOT pointless. So stop saying it is!!!

Firebabe

I was one of those ladies that thought "Makeup is pointless" since i was 16 until after I turned 36.. I have never worn foundation at all since i tried it on in 1985 lol omg it was so gross I couldn't stand the feel of it on my face ..
As I got older *17-18 I felt I wasn't attractive and no amount of makeup could make me attractive so I never wore it.
I discovered MAC pigments late 2006 in swatches and seeing it on other ladies eyes.. and I was so amazed at the lovely metal sheen, pigmented color of pigments .. I knew I had to get some
Now I have 4 full jars of MAC pigments and 74 small jar samples of MAC pigments fluidline, e/s and a lip gloss

I guess I'm making up for lost time lool .. cuz i am so obsessed with pigment

I dont think its pointless anymore
yes.gif

Leopardskinny

Ooh I just have to have my say here!
smiles.gif

Well I think that you shouldn't judge others, end of. I'm a student, studying beauty therapy. You should see the look on peoples faces when I say that, they think "Hahah what a dumbass". Well no, even though a lot of what I do it down to practical skills, I have to learn about the human body- every bone, muscle, and most of the systems (eg. circulatory). What I'm trying to say, is that you can never judge a persons level of intellect on what makeup they wear, what job they do ect. I just had to put that in about my job/ training because it seems relevant to this and it has really been angering me lately that people automatically assume I'm dumb and shallow!

It doesn't really help that I love to wear nice makeup, and spend a lot of time on my appearance making sure my clothes are pretty and feeling like I look good. To me wearing makeup gives me confidence. I feel like I am 'me' with makeup on. I don't feel I am 'conforming' to anything- I wear makeup because it makes me look good, and this makes me happy.
smiles.gif
I love just opening up my traincase am spending ages picking out MU for a new look (when I have the time!) WHY? Because I ENJOY it! I like to be made up, I like clothes, but this doesn't make me 'look stupid'.

I don't mean any offense here, but maybe your friend is jealous? I don't know. Maybe she has witnessed too many young girls who have foundation 10 shades too dark lol!

chocodcocoa

I always compare makeup to clothing... you're trying to cover up the bits you're not comfortable with and enhance what you do like about yourself.
Whenever someone questions me about makeup I just go "why do you wear heels, then?" or something to that effect... Heels to make your legs look longer is just like putting on mascara to make your lashes look longer... and to me, mascara is much more subtle than red vinyl heels.
And anyone who says that makeup is not a form of art... GRRRR!

QTAllStarGurl

Oh gosh...I hate when people say stuff like that to me about my makeup...or my contacts because it's equally annoying when people question me about my contacts but my reply is always the same..."Then don't look at me, asshole! My face is not your problem." But then I again I'm kind of a bitchy person...well at least nobody ever asks me that question more then once lmao

redambition

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsic
Call me naive, but I am actually pretty surprised by this statement :/ It seems like to me that fine line between hygiene and wearing makeup seems to be getting thinner and thinner. I haven't seen much of the world, but I always had this generalization that everyone in the corporate world always wore makeup for some reason. I would consider myself pretty low maintenance too, as I don't wear makeup everyday (usually only if I don't have time) and I barely wear heavy makeup. I also agree that makeup is personal preference.

there are plenty of people in the corporate world who don't wear makeup, and plenty who do. it's all personal preference.

the dress standard of neat, clean and well groomed does not mean that you are required to wear makeup. i would not be happy if i was told i was required to wear makeup in a job where it's not directly related to my job role or to the company's products. (thinking here of people doing public relations/customer facing work for cosmetics houses etc).

Mizz.Yasmine

people make me feel dumb 4 buying lots of MAC when drugstore makeup is way cheaper
ssad.gif
. but then i realize how much better MAC works for me and i feel better.

they think spending more is pointless and stupid becuz makeup is just makeup 2 them.

Kalico

People will never agree on this kind of thing. It's all personal preference. Yeah, there's a lot of people who believe you don't have to wear make-up to look professional. Some people really don't need it. But, most people do. I've seen plenty of non-made up faces in professional places and thought they would fit into their job better if they made an effort. But that's just my opinion and they obviously disagree. And confidence does take a person farther as well...

pumpkincat210

I know this is totally discriminatory, but someone my age (27) could not go get a decent job without wearing some kind of makeup. You may get the job, but with makeup i truly feel its much easier. I love makeup for the artistic aspect of it, but in today's society women are judged on looks more than you think. A little lipstick never hurt someone, but a full face shows you tried, you look pretty, and as long as you don't look like a clown it shows you have sane mental capacities. and your confidence level automatically goes up. This is a double standard obviously as men don't have to do more than shave and even that is debatable. If you interview with a man he probably thinks you're a hot little chickadee if you wear makeup. If you interview with a woman and she has makeup on, you better hope you put yours on too.

nunu

Recently my sister saw me un pack my things and in between i was un packing my MAC, she found it hilarious that i wrapped my eyeshadows and blushers in bubble wrap!!

No one would ever understand my MAC addiction, i love coming to specktra because i know that wrapping my MAC in bubble wrap is not considered to be weird! LOL

keirii

i used to be like that, "makeup's so pointless.. you don't need it, stop wasting money!" --- but i was secretly jealous. hahah.
greengrin.gif

mona lisa

My guess is she was referring to the Tammy Faye Bakker approach to make-up which is in my mind pointless. Anything can be taken to excess -surely we all can agree with that. But in moderation (or even in the case of a lot of us a bit more than moderation), what is wrong with something that allows us to in a way step out of ourselves a bit? Make-up at its most dramatic is like art and can encourage creativity. It can also aid in self-esteem -allowing us to step out of everyday ordinariness and look (and as a result even feel) a bit glamorous.

I think everyone looks better in make-up and ironically, I will bet the women who say make-up is "pointless" drool over men in the media who themselves are wearing to various degrees some kind of make-up
yes.gif
But do not tell them that though...

static_universe

I'm sick on the 'media pressure' thing. It's just bullshit. Maybe I've just never met anyone who was starving themselves so they could look like some model and do makeup so they can have flawless skin or whatever. But personally, I've never felt that kind of pressure. I wear makeup cause it's fun to do, but I'll usually be lazy and just do mascara and lip gloss, because I like the way it looks and makes me feel pretty.

Though I will say that anyone with foundation three shades too dark caked on has probably got some self esteem issues.

DixieHellcat

JMO here, but makeup definitely has a point. I have a pretty stressful life right now, between working and taking care of my elderly parents. Sometimes I wake up & honestly don't want to open my eyes & face another day. (not trying to be overly dramatic here *g* just the facts, ma'am) Since I've gotten interested in 'nice' makeup (MAC etc) I find that on those days if I make myself take the extra 5 minutes or so to put on a little war paint, I feel more like smiling and getting on with things. So it's been very good for me.