Mother and Daughter Lie to Win Hannah Montana Tix

MAC_Whore

FROM MSN
AP - updated 3:24 p.m. ET, Sun., Dec. 30, 2007

GARLAND, Texas - An essay that won a 6-year-old girl four tickets to a Hannah Montana concert began with the powerful line: “My daddy died this year in Iraq.”

While gripping, it wasn’t true — and now the girl may lose her tickets after her mom acknowledged to contest organizers it was all a lie.

The sponsor of the contest was Club Libby Lu, a Chicago-based store that sells clothes, accessories and games intended for young girls.

The saga began Friday with company officials surprising the girl at a Club Libby Lu at a mall in suburban Garland, about 20 miles northeast of Dallas. The girl won a makeover that included a blonde Hannah Montana wig, as well as the grand prize: airfare for four to Albany, N.Y., and four tickets to the sold-out Hannah Montana concert on Jan. 9.

The mother had told company officials that the girl’s father died April 17 in a roadside bombing in Iraq, company spokeswoman Robyn Caulfield said.

“We did the essay and that’s what we did to win,” Priscilla Ceballos, the mother, said in an interview with Dallas TV station KDFW. “We did whatever we could do to win.”

She had identified the soldier as Sgt. Jonathon Menjivar, but the Department of Defense has no record of anyone with that name dying in Iraq. Caulfield said the mother has admitted to the deception.

“We regret that the original intent of the contest, which was to make a little girl’s holiday extra special, has not been realized in the way we anticipated,” said Mary Drolet, the CEO of Club Libby Lu.

Drolet said the company is reviewing the matter, and is considering taking away the girl’s tickets.

Her mother is a piece of shit.

Girl about town

its sick any parent would encourage her child to be deceptive for her own gain. some parents aren't fit to raise children to be good people
thmbdn.gif

Shimmer

What were the rules of the contest? Were they supposed to write something that was true?

One of the girls on my son's baseball team got tix the 20 Nov concert for HM, and I flat out told her mom that if it were me, I'd explain to my daughter the value of the tickets and what we could do with the money we sold them for, then sell the damn things. They were going for 3k APIECE. The girl's mom is a single mom with a couple of kids, that'd make a decent Christmas plus money in the bank.

nunu

This is when you realise which moms aren't fit to raise children. This is sick. What kind of things is she teaching her daughter?? To lie and decive people! What about all the pther kids who wrote true essays? Don't they deserve to be given the concert tickets to?
I hope they disqualify them from the concert and reconsider other kids.

*KT*

Not only encouraging her daughter to lie, but to lie about something that terrible? Her daughter's going to be devastated and will hopefully learn what telling those kinds of lies leads... but I have my doubts the mother will learn much unless her family and friends will no longer look her in the eye.

I think the part that makes me most angry is this quote: “We did whatever we could do to win.” Like she's not even ashamed of what they did, which imo is disrespect every family who lost a loved one in military service.

Shimmer

Y'all really have to know the people in the north Dallas area, and north Tarrant County area, to understand why this doesn't surprise me.

Evey

Why in the HELL would you teach a child to lie about something so horrible to win some concert tickets?! dumb ass woman.

purrtykitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
"We did the essay and that’s what we did to win,” Priscilla Ceballos, the mother, said in an interview with Dallas TV station KDFW. “We did whatever we could do to win."

I think that says it all. I'll bet it's how she lives her day-to-day life and how she's raising her children. We'll have a couple more self-entitled brats who will turn into self-entitled adults that the rest of us will want to strangle.

Divinity

wtff.gif
Dude... This is such a shame. Not only has this mother taught her daughter that it is okay to lie, but also to do whatever it takes to win. AND on top of that, clearly the contest was during the holidays and to make it special for someone. They both took this away from other deserving families AND have lost the true meaning of the holidays. It's sad to see what the world is coming to, because it's a result of the people in it.

Beauty Mark

I'd like to think they learned a lesson, but I doubt it. It's concert tickets. It's not like some life-changing opportunity, food to feed your family, etc. Maybe not the best reasons to lie, but they're certainly better than some dumb tickets.

Shimmer

Was it in the rules that the essay had to be accurate? Was it expressly stated that it had to be a factual essay?
I mean...don't get me wrong, I think it's disgusting, but...if it wasn't in the rules, then...don't be surprised if they sue and win.

Quote:
Rock Your Holidays Essay Contest:

"We want to hear how you're going to ROCK someone else's holiday. Maybe it's Mom, your best friend, or maybe it's someone you don't even know! It's easy: just write (no more than 5 sentences) and send it to us. Maybe you are donating a coat (sorry sis) or maybe you are making breakfast in bed for your Mom (maybe next year Dad!); whatever it is tell us all about it."

Here is the legal language: "No purchase necessary to win. You must be between the ages of 6 and 13 by 11/22/07. Club Libby Lu cannot accept any entries from individuals under the age of 18 without consent from parent or legal guardian. You must be able to attend the concert on 1/9/08 to be eligible. Grand prize consists of four round-trip coach class air travel on airline of CLL's choice from major airport nearest winner's residence to Albany, NY, on 1/9/08 and returning 1/10/08; 2 days, 1 night hotel accommodations. Winner and at least one parent/legal guardian of winner must attend a Public Relations event scheduled during the trip in NY. Winner and guest must travel together. All travelers must execute a Release of Liability and a Publicity Release prior to ticketing. Travel arrangements and accommodations are at the discretion of the Sponsor. Trip value may vary depending on point of departure and airfare fluctuations. Approximate retail value of Grand Prize is $3,000. Other great prizes will be awarded. Winners are solely responsible for paying all applicable federal, state, local taxes and all other expenses with the acceptance and/or use of prizes. For complete details including entry information and judging criteria, send a self addressed stamped envelope to Club Libby Lu Attn: Hannah Montana Official Rules, 2700 West Grand Avenue, Chicago, IL 60612."

Nowhere in the legal language does it say that the essay has to be true.

I think the mother is a pig, absolutely, but...technically, legally, they didn't really break the rules.

Perhaps if companies weren't looking for the most pathetic sob story they can find, stuff like this wouldn't happen. ABC and "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" and its ilk searching for families who've gone through terrible ordeals not because they truly want to help but because it makes ratings have fed this kind of monster. :/

MAC_Whore

You're right, it doesn't state that it has to be true in that verbage, but it does state:

"For complete details including entry information and judging criteria, send a self addressed stamped envelope to Club Libby Lu Attn: Hannah Montana Official Rules, 2700 West Grand Avenue, Chicago, IL 60612."

So I would imagine the "complete details" and "judging criteria" disqualify her. Perhaps the judging criteria includes:

"Must not be a greedy, despicable douchebag"

hmm.gif

*Stargazer*

Pardon my French, but that bitch should have to spend some time observing the groups that support children who have been orphaned by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I don't know if that would teach her anything though.

redambition

i think the biggest giveaway is that the competition is for an essay - not a story.

essays (in my experience, anyway) are non-fiction works. they are a piece of work where the author analyses and gives their view on a certain subject.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
You're right, it doesn't state that it has to be true in that verbiage, but it does state:

"For complete details including entry information and judging criteria, send a self addressed stamped envelope to Club Libby Lu Attn: Hannah Montana Official Rules, 2700 West Grand Avenue, Chicago, IL 60612."

So I would imagine the "complete details" and "judging criteria" disqualify her. Perhaps the judging criteria includes:

"Must not be a greedy, despicable douchebag"

hmm.gif

That excludes most people anyway.
oh.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stargazer*
Pardon my French, but that bitch should have to spend some time observing the groups that support children who have been orphaned by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I don't know if that would teach her anything though.

I don't think it would. I'm not defending her actions and I certainly don't think they were right, but if she sues, she's got a good chance of winning, I would guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redambition
i think the biggest giveaway is that the competition is for an essay - not a story.

essays (in my experience, anyway) are non-fiction works. they are a piece of work where the author analysis and gives their view on a certain subject.

That may be the basis the pair are being disqualified on the.

ductapemyheartt

"okay, honey, it's okay to lie to get what you want."
seriously, what is she teaching her six year old daughter?

i went to hannah montana and it was lame.

SuSana

Disgusting.

And HOW OFFENSIVE to us military families who have experienced a loss, in real life, not just in a "story".