need tips on getting faster

II3rinII

i wanna cut my makeovers down in time and i need some tips or tricks on being faster, but still exicuting beautiful makeup. see thats my problem, im way OCD and very detail oriented, i refuse to produce sloppy work, even when its for some annoying 16 yr old prom girl. some of the girls at my store can bust out quicker makeovers than me, but the looks are very basic and i feel people come to us to have the mac experiance and if they wanted a basic look they would go to clinque or bobbi brown (not trashing them, they are just more basic beauty looks). part of my problem is im more artist driven than sales driven. i mean i still make my goal and my AUS stays above average, but i know it could be stronger if sped up but still maintained the skill level. so do any of you have tricks or tips in executing a flawless look from skincare to lashes in a quick amount of time? i did my cousins wedding today, it was 6 faces (5 with lashes) and it took me almost 4 hours to do everyone. but i had no help and did lashes on all of them except for my aunt. i like to keep a clean work space, so after each girl i tossed the disposables into an empty mac bag, and sprayed my brushes with brush cleaner and alcohol and swiped them on a towel. i also had to mix the foundations because i wasnt sure what the girls looked like so i had to custom blend studio fix fluid for each girl, and my cousin wanted them to have their own individual look so i didnt just pump out one look on each girl. i felt like i was moving quick enough but time just flew. in the end, even though we were late, they all looked stunning and my cousin and aunt were super pleased. i just wish i couldve created the looks quicker. please advise!!

II3rinII

just because i wanted to share, heres a few candids from the wedding i snagged from one of the girls facebook, im waiting for pics of all the girls (my cousin is giving me a copy of her cd from the photographer)
alissawed.jpg

alissawed03.jpg

alissawed02.jpg

alissawed04.jpg

i know those pics dont show much detail, but every girl was stunning

SmokeSignal16

Those are great, they all look so gorgeous! I'm interested too see what people have to say as well, I was thinking this just the other day when I did makeup for someone, I just wish I could cut the time but still have it be like perfect lol.

olddcassettes

no tip either, except for a compliment that you are an outstanding makeup artist, they do look great! but hey, it takes time to look good... who cares if other girls do it in 5 minutes... my sister does makeup on people in about 10 to 15 minutes? when i do hers i take up to 30 minutes, lol, so who cares
smiles.gif

chocolategoddes

Wow, they look amazing.
It's great that you're more focused on the artistic aspect of your job than the business side.

The best advice I can give you is that" when you think your only 80% done, you're finished." I think I heard it on that art tv show with that dude with the fro.
As artists (and I don't just mean makeup artists) we always want to perfect our creation so that it's something we can be proud of. Paying attention is great, but if the winged liner isn't perfectly at a 50 degree angle, it's okay.

I'm sure there are also little makeup tips you could do, but I'll leave that to the pros who have had experience working for cosmetic counters.

One thing that does come to mind is to simply use less products, but that might not be wise because you want to sell as many products to the customer as you can.

Also, try developing a rhythm or a routine that your brain can get used to, so things go much smoother anf faster.
smiles.gif

II3rinII

choclate godess i think you hit the nail on the head, as an artist i am a perfectionist. everything has to be even and well blended i just get crazy OCD when it comes to my work. and if im at work, i talk about the product and answer questions, i want the customer to be informed and comfortable with what they are getting, so it takes a little longer (but i have less returns than the artists who just sell whatever and dont explain). i do like that 80% quote though, i need to instill that in my demos, to keep from nitpicking.

chiquilla_loca

wow, great job on the wedding makeup. everyone looks gorgeous!
luv that the each bridesmaid looks different make-up wise.
in your post you say that you hadn't seen the girls beforehand, and maybe not having seen them, their skintone, it took more time mixing/color matching foundations, a consult prior to the actual wedding day would have you more prepared, and i think you'd feel less stressed about taking so much time. girl, you did an excellent job creating beautiful looks on such a time constraint! and it's a good thing being so detail-oriented, your clients will be happy, and tell others about your talent, and you'll get more business.

Obsidianbbw

I'm not a makeup artist or anything, but i was thinking have you practiced going faster? I think it is one thing to practice doing a good luck and another ro do a good luck with time constraints. Maybe you can pin points things you're taking a little longer on than others? If you are focused on having super straight winged eyeliner (just an example) than maybe you practice or develop a different technique.

iShadow

As a fellow (aspiring) artist, you don't just half ass artwork. That would just mean you'd have a bunch of half-completed faces or canvases or whatevers walking around. Good blending and color placement can't be BSed, it can be cheapened, but that tends to show through in the quality of a look. I think you're doing very well, it would've taken me probably 6 or 7 hours to do everyone!

II3rinII

so to other mac artists, do you have a formula you follow? like eyes first then foundation? some of the girls i work with do that, but i always start with the skin. i moisterize, prime, then do foundation and concealer and set with powder (be it blot, select sheer, mineralize or p+p transparent. then i do eyes, base first, then shadow, line and then mascara. then i do blush and /or bronzer, lip line, lipstick and gloss and then apply lashes if needed. and i cant help but be detailed with every aspect. during my lesson certification, my trainer noted that i spent the most time on the skin (prepping and foundation) and even though she thought it was good that i want to create "perfected skin" i should try to chop that time in half, when it got to eyes i busted out the eye start to finish in 5 minutes. its weird, youd think eyes would be the hard part. what are some time cutting techniques youve used at your stores?

metal_romantic

They all look lovely.

Have you tried timing yourself doing your own makeup?

Maybe you could get 2 friends together, and apply similar looks to them.
Spend as much time as you like perfecting one friend's makeup (pay attention to how long it took), and set yourself a time limit when you apply it to the other friend. Then you can compare the two faces and see if the "quick" face looks up to scratch. Then you can determine if there are any corners that can be cut, and if there are any areas that you definitely need to spend the extra time on so as not to sacrifice quality.

rosasola1

ah! II3rinII, I feel you on so many levels! I am new to MAC as a perm employee, I freelanced for them for several months and I totally understand and relate to you. I am having the same dilemma.. getting faster. I asked one of my coworkers if she had any tips and she said. We must not obsess over detail. and Do not stress over making each girl different looking. She has a basic formula she follows mostly for eyes and just changes up the e/s colors (mostly when it comes to prom where there are numerous apps back to back). She also said she had the exact same prob when she first started and that it took her 2 1/2 YEARS!!! to get as fast as she is now. So that gave me hope for sure that it takes time and practice to perfect your own technique. I HTH!!!
I too cannot let anyone walk out of that chair without my seal of approval.... it's so hard. I want everything to be perfect... that is my flaw.
shrugs.gif

Ruby_Woo

Hi Erin!
I know what you mean, I don't like having half assed work either. Can you imagine that person telling other people "she did it" But what I do to keep my appts under 45 mins is first and formost, after investigating, I grab all my product, so it cuts down the time of running around like a chicken w/ my head cut off.

this is pretty much how I go:
-Mosturizer, face primer
-Eye primer, base
-Eye makeup
-face makeup
-blush
-concealor
-brows
and lashes if they wish.

While I am doing all of this, I have them have a mirror in their hand, and I am talking and just saying everything as I go, so I don't have to stop and explain.

Also, this is where I think close as you go is very important, for example, if they like the blush color, I'll say something like "do you like how it looks? Could you see your self doing it at home?" and if they say yeah, Ill ask them if they would like to take it, and just so I have a general idea of what to grab after. You know? Instead of waiting till you're all done w/ the makeup and they're trying to decide (which honestly some ppl take forever :s ) so w/ close as you go you know what they will want, you can go back and repeat the product agreed on and close your sale.

Hope this helps
smiles.gif

ms.marymac

I am pretty quick, but there are times when I can take too long. If I get off topic, am working on someone I know, or with a really fun person, it takes me longer. If my blood sugar is low, I'll be there FOREVER-that SUX. What works for me is keeping it simple. I pull out three shadows, four shadows tops. Sometimes just two. I use products that multi-task, and only a few brushes, unless I have have time and am feeling adventurous, lol. I have just found that the less products, less brushes I use, it keeps my customers from feeling over-whelmed and me from taking forever. If I have to do a quick freebie, I have my cheat colors that I know are crowd pleasers and honestly cut corners, while still making sure it looks cute. I probably FABCE different from a lot of other artists, I can't talk and do makeup at the same time very well so before I apply, I explain. (gotta love ADD, lol). I don't get into specific ingredients unless they ask-sound bites work for me. If I didn't have to talk I would be even faster, I hate having a short attention span!
ssad.gif

I hope it doesn't sound like I just slap makeup on people and call it a day! Now, watch. The next time I work it will take me three hours to do a makeover.
winks.gif

I would like to add more products and spend more time but I never feel like I have time.
ssad.gif

metal_romantic

Instead of getting all my stuff ready and then starting by prepping the face, I prep and then start getting everything ready for the next steps while it 'soaks in', then prime and give that a minute to settle while I quickly finish getting everything else organized. It saves a few minutes for me.

II3rinII

^^dude i have the same ADD problem, talking and doing makeup, its like my brain outh and brush cant all work at the same time, i get all "uh... ummm... like...." hahaha. i think my fear is doing sub-par work. so then i get all anal retentive about blending and shit. its hard being a perfectionist. my numbers and AUS is strong and ive gotten numerous positive customer comments (even got an email from paul keenum himself who is over the entire east coast and director of ad&t) and i want to be able to keep all that while still picking up the pace. i appreciate the tips ladies, keep them coming, maybe we can help each other. theres a girl i work with who actually needs to slow her pace a bit. she sometimes come off to rushed or hurried and it makes customers feel rushed, like she wants them out of the store. shes had several cust serv complaints. shes to much of a driver and im not enough of one hahaha.

II3rinII

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_romantic
Instead of getting all my stuff ready and then starting by prepping the face, I prep and then start getting everything ready for the next steps while it 'soaks in', then prime and give that a minute to settle while I quickly finish getting everything else organized. It saves a few minutes for me.

oh thats good i always worry that the primer and moisterizer hasnt had time to work, that also gives a good segue to "step away" if needed

II3rinII

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_romantic
They all look lovely.

Have you tried timing yourself doing your own makeup?

Maybe you could get 2 friends together, and apply similar looks to them.
Spend as much time as you like perfecting one friend's makeup (pay attention to how long it took), and set yourself a time limit when you apply it to the other friend. Then you can compare the two faces and see if the "quick" face looks up to scratch. Then you can determine if there are any corners that can be cut, and if there are any areas that you definitely need to spend the extra time on so as not to sacrifice quality.

oh jeez... i take forever with my own makeup hahaha.... im all up in that mirror, inspecting every detail.... like sickly ocd when it comes to my makeup!!

mslips

Oh man I'm glad Im not the only one! I never thought you'd have that issue since you've been a mac artist for a while now =p but it's because we are artists and everything has to look perfect.

I take pretty long myself on makeovers, but what I've learned to do to get done faster is i use sponges to apply a moisturizer, and eye cream (i only do this for those who seriously need eye hydration, but still ask if they are using eye cream as a daily routine and recommend they use it if they aren't then grab whatever i need to grab for makeup, then come back and apply primer with a sponge again and maybe clean brushes while im talking to the guest so they dont get bored or uncomfortable and itll help me get a better idea of what look i can achieve and while thats setting i'll sanitize my hands and stuff. If they have some redness i like to use Lorac's Neutralizer, it's a miracle in a bottle for those red cheeked gals. But yea, if they have good skin and dont need concealer i wont bother wasting time with that because all they'll need is foundation and the powder to set it, if they want a little bronzer ill do that . Then I prime eyes, do the eyes, liner (i usually use gel), brows, mascara, blush, highlighter or lumizer, and lip products and close the sale and write down products if they need to come back and buy the rest.

I did a wedding for 8 last Sat and i took 6 1/2 hrs =( but thats because i took my time on the first few and they were nice and talkative people and i even ate a quick lunch with the 4 daughters for a little break time which i shouldnt have done because i sorta made the last ppl late but thank God this was part of the Groom's side of the family. But yea i was feeling HUNGRY especially when everyone was ordering beef sandwiches and burgers and the hotel room smelled delish and mader my stomach growl more. But anyways, for me liner takes me a while to do because im very anal with eyeliner but if they are more of a free for all, do whatever type ill just apply a dark shadow with a smudger brush as a liner esp if they have fair skin and light eyes or light eye makeup, itll still look good and cut a few mins down and itll be less of a mess. Towards the last few i just did makeup like 15-20 mins and it looked good. I guess just speeding up your handwork is just another basic tip that we overlook.