Please be VERY VERY Careful

Status
Not open for further replies.

~LadyLocks~

Oh wow, that's really creepy. I've been taught to always trust my instintcs, god gave us this gift for a reason so use it!

user79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
i have a sign on my door that usually deters people, and if it doesn't, I'll generally answer the door with a loaded weapon. It's airsoft but it's in the holster and my hand is on the grip.
Paranoid? Maybe.

Holy crap,a weapon to answer the door? Wow, I could never imagine doing that. We don't even have a chain on our door. Call it naivite but I guess I live in a safe area and armed robbery or things of that kind aren't really very common at all. If I'm home alone and it's a man at the door that I'm not expecting, I just ask through the door who it is and what he wants before opening.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixichik77
Never buy a gun just for protection. Guns require training and discipline to operate.

Yeah totally. I must've missed out on all that when I was in the army. They just handed me an m16 and a 9 and told me to figure it out...

All joking aside...whatever a preferred weapon of choice may be, it's always wise to be familiar with it. To use it. To KNOW your weapon. Be it a baseball bat, a taser, a firearm, whatever, you have to be comfortable with it.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Holy crap,a weapon to answer the door? Wow, I could never imagine doing that. We don't even have a chain on our door. Call it naivite but I guess I live in a safe area and armed robbery or things of that kind aren't really very common at all. If I'm home alone and it's a man at the door that I'm not expecting, I just ask through the door who it is and what he wants before opening.

Generally, I live in a very safe area. Quite honestly, I only do it when magazine salesmen, church visitors, or teenagers knock on my door because just the site of it is enough to make them never return. I don't like being interrupted.

I don't advise anyone unfamiliar with weapons, be they firearms or airsoft, to utilize one. Guns aren't toys, they're not a joke, and they aren't a light responsibility.

But...there is the secondary issue.

Owning a weapon and being willing to USE it are two wholly different things. In my case, with a firearm, if I feel threatened enough to raise it, I feel comfortable using it. NEVER point a weapon at ANYONE without willingness to utilize the projectile with deadly force. Never fire to maim. Never use a weapon as a threat. They aren't threats, they're promises.

In fact, for 96% of the population, I'd probably say leave the firearms to someone else to handle, but then again, I'm totally fond of the second amendment.

Hawkeye

And a lot of people have to remember that the South is a totally different culture than most places. I own a gun, I know how to use it. I was never in the army but it really is not unusual to have one close by. Maybe not so much in ATL anymore but in the more rural areas- oh yeah.

But anyway-I may wind up doing that shimmer, next time someone weird like that knocks on my door.

Shimmer

Oh, let me add, I DO live in ranchland area of Texas. We've had weapons since we were toddlers, we'll have weapons til we die. Little old blue hairs in the mercedes in the left lane? They're probably packing.

Hawkeye

greengrin.gif

Only a true southerner would understand the humor/and the truth! in that
greengrin.gif

LOL

Shimmer

You aren't kidding.

Additionally:

A handgun is a very poor choice for home defense. The bullet will go through walls if the target is missed (which it likely will be).
A much better and more effective alternative is a shotgun with birdshot. Much less likely to penetrate walls, it scatters, and it hurts like a motherfucker. The scatter effect makes the target easier to hit and in being hit, he's pretty much guaranteed to go down.

Raerae

While I doubt you'd be afriad to pull a trigger shimmer, I'm willing to bet most of the women on the board here (myself included) dont have the stomache to do the same.

Thats why i prefer phones
smiles.gif

Oh, and the NRA need to get over themselves =p

Shimmer

I didn't bring the NRA into it.
smiles.gif
I don't agree with extremists of any group, even gun owners/users. That said, lets leave the NRA for another discussion another time.

If you don't have the stomach to pull the trigger, a firearm is definitely NOT your weapon of choice.
And, honestly a phone is a good one, but it's no more reliable than any other. Just because you dialed 911 doesn't mean a) anyone is going to appear anytime soon and b) if you're on a cellphone they're going to be able to locate you, particularly if he smothers your mouth and you drop the phone. It'll be treated like a prank call and left alone. They won't go into the logistics of contacting your SP to ping your phone until you're good and cold, or bruised and shivering, if you're lucky.
Common sense and situational awareness are your two best weapons.
smiles.gif

Shimmer

And, when it comes to protection of self and child, you'd be surprised what you'd have the stomach to do, up to and including savagely beating someone who hurt you or your child.
It's not called FIGHT or FLIGHT for no reason.

Willa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous

Thats exactly what I was going to say
Maybe I'm really naive, or living in Montreal isnt that scary...

If im not expecting anyone, I just ask who is it, and then I decide if I want to open the door or not.

Shimmer

It's not so much scary as it is, like I said, I don't like to be disturbed. There's a sign on my door for a reason.
I live in a very middle class white bread neighborhood, privacy fences and pools, etc., but I don't like solicitors. Ever.

Hawkeye

total 2nd shimmer. People would be amazed at what they suddenly have the stomach to do when faced in a life or death situation.

Willa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
total 2nd shimmer. People would be amazed at what they suddenly have the stomach to do when faced in a life or death situation.

I totaly agree but for me, opening the door isnt a matter of life or death
lmao.gif

I don't like to be disturbed either, the appartment I had before this one, it was... 10 times a week. Some neighbors I had, from Bosnia, didnt speak a word of french (my first language) and they couldnt even say yes or no in english. They were rigning at my door every day, or theirs visitors and such. I tried to explain them... no results... lolll

I was door #2, in a building of 24.
People maybe tought I was the genitor, who knows.

Now, where I live, since 6 months, I only had a women who told me from downstairs that she came to give me ''my dog back''. (I dont have a dog...) I told her and closed the door before she could come upstairs.

People are strange.

geeko

i live in a very safe country too (firearms are banned in our country, if a person fires a live shot, the penalty is death sentence - ya it's that serious)...and i'm living in an apartment, so even if we open the door it's fine, because we have a gate jus outside the door.

whenever i order food to my house, i only open the inner door, i keep the gate outside my door close and the delivery man will pass the food to me through the gate.

Hawkeye

True...

But wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose- you fire off a live firearm and then boom your dead? Well it's their country guess they can do whatever they want.

Katial8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
Oh, let me add, I DO live in ranchland area of Texas. We've had weapons since we were toddlers, we'll have weapons til we die. Little old blue hairs in the mercedes in the left lane? They're probably packing.

This is the exact reason why I moved from Texas back to Canada ( I lived there for 2 1/2 yrs). I could not live like that and I especially couldn't stand to bring up my two children there.

I was scared of intruders, robbers, thieves. etc but the combination of those, and the amount of people walking around carring guns for protection (and the possibility of those people accidentally shooting someone) was too much for me to handle.

I was so scared to let my children have play dates because of the possibility of them finding a gun in a drawer and think it is a toy. I know most people with guns are responsible, but there have been times where people do get careless.

Living in fear of all those possibilities drove me to a breakdown.
ssad.gif

Please don't get me wrong. Texas is a gorgeous state and the people there are great! I just don't have the guts to live there.

Status
Not open for further replies.