Professional Aust MUAs - raise your hand!

rockin26

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkorchid
It's great reading about all you girls, but I can see there doesn't seem to be many ladies from Sydney!
Could I ask where everyone studied, or what to look out for in picking a course? I'd like to take a short course or part time course in makeup
smiles.gif

The course I did which was the Cert II in makeup services is available in Sydney if you want to check it out. Academy of Makeup

It was a really good course and I recommend it. Just keep in mind what you pay for the course isn't what you'll spend total, the products and brushes can cost just as much as the training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterobsess
Love the eye dusts!! I just thought the colour choices in the pro kit were really bad with the eyeshadows and lip products. They give you what they think is 'popular' (read: what they want to sell) instead of having set colours that give you good variety. I had four dark lipliners (all plums and burgandy colours) and no neutrals or reds at all.

Yeah I got crappy lippys and liners too, all dark and all plummy! The e/s they gave me where green, light pinks and black (the palette is in my pics of my stash) and I have hardly used those colours at all. I got the next kit down from the pro kit and it felt like some of it was excess stock they were trying to get rid of rather than what I'd actually use on a regular basis. I ended up buying more nuetrals later down the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkvanilla
I also hvae the Graftobian palette, I find it very hard to work with
ssad.gif
Recently got some MAC SFF and Sculpt so I'm enjoying testing those out. Choosing foundations really does give me a headache
ssad.gif

What primer does everyone use? I have the OCC one and the Gorgeous one. I looked at the MAC one when I was in the city the other day, but it seemed to have sparkly bits in it
th_dunno.gif
Dunno.

The Powder compacts you girls are talking about - are they from Gorgeous?

How did you find the SS on clients? I was thinking about it but it got mixed reviews on here. I'm using the Inglot primer at the moment which is pretty good but once it's gone I'm probably going to try the NARS one. And yes the powder compacts are Gorgeous and they're very good indeed
smiles.gif

boudoirblonde

Quote:
I also hvae the Graftobian palette, I find it very hard to work with
ssad.gif
Recently got some MAC SFF and Sculpt so I'm enjoying testing those out. Choosing foundations really does give me a headache
ssad.gif

What primer does everyone use? I have the OCC one and the Gorgeous one. I looked at the MAC one when I was in the city the other day, but it seemed to have sparkly bits in it
th_dunno.gif
Dunno.

The Powder compacts you girls are talking about - are they from Gorgeous?

NARS! Best primer ever! Its pretty pricey, but I've already repurchased it, and its so fantastic! Although, I think its probably for everyone except really oily (or use in place of a moisturiser on oily skins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin26
The course I did which was the Cert II in makeup services is available in Sydney if you want to check it out. Academy of Makeup

It was a really good course and I recommend it. Just keep in mind what you pay for the course isn't what you'll spend total, the products and brushes can cost just as much as the training.

Yeah I got crappy lippys and liners too, all dark and all plummy! The e/s they gave me where green, light pinks and black (the palette is in my pics of my stash) and I have hardly used those colours at all. I got the next kit down from the pro kit and it felt like some of it was excess stock they were trying to get rid of rather than what I'd actually use on a regular basis. I ended up buying more nuetrals later down the track.

How did you find the SS on clients? I was thinking about it but it got mixed reviews on here. I'm using the Inglot primer at the moment which is pretty good but once it's gone I'm probably going to try the NARS one. And yes the powder compacts are Gorgeous and they're very good indeed
smiles.gif

Im really liking the studio sculpt, it seems to work on almost everyone's skin, and it works well with or without powder. Im leaning towards this as my kit foundation, and then I think I'll get a couple of shades of MAC f&b, and an oil free foundation (maybe MAC foundation stick?)

pinkvanilla

THanks girls, I will have a look at the NARS one
smiles.gif

I haven't used SS on a client yet - was meant to use it on Sunday but didn't get a chance. BB - good to hear it's nice though!

I will also have a look at the Gorgeous compacts!

rockin26

I've heard excellent things about the Nars primer which is why I was going to try that next.

I'm still not 100% sold on F & B, it's just that when I used it on myself it looked really wet/oily and I'm worried it'll come up shiny in photos but allot of MUA's rave about it??

boudoirblonde

Quote:
Yeah the MAC F & B, I'll try it again to be sure but even with powder it still looked wet?

Maybe you used too much? Its very light/sheer coverage. I'd only ever use it on a model (with good skin!)

rockin26

^^ I doubt it, I'm pretty light handed with my foundation because I have really good skin (I have to remember to go heavier on my clients too). They keep telling me at MAC how buildable it is but then it just looks wetter IMO.

Grrrr, I really hate picking foundations!

simplyenchantin

Quote:
Yeah the MAC F & B, I'll try it again to be sure but even with powder it still looked wet?

Really? I was gonna say, if buffing it doesn't work try a powder! That's so odd, I pretty much use F&B + powder all the time and never look wet
th_dunno.gif

rockin26

I'll use it tomorrow and take a pic and see if it comes up, it's annoying cos I was really hoping it would be good for my kit.

Jade M

I have both Studio Fix Fluid and Studio Sculpt in my kit. I love Face and Body, but find that you need to re-inforce the coverage with a bit of SFF over it for anyone who is not blessed with smooth, even skin.

I carry the two mentioned above in full sizes of NC20, NC37, NC42 and NW15, NW25, NW35. Plus I made up some minis of some of the darker shades for mixing when needed.

Other ones that I've enjoyed working with are the Face Atelier Pro foundations, Armani Luminous Silk and the Nars Oil Free Foundation.

I only use the Prep and Prime primer these days, I was a big smashbox fan, but found that it just wasn't compatable with many foundations - balling on skin etc
ssad.gif
Nars one is pretty good - but I really like the smooth 'barrier' feel that the P&P gives. The sparkly bits don't show through the foundations - they just help to brighten the skin a tiny bit.

pinkvanilla

^^ Thanks Jade for your comment on the prep & prime. I looked at it but was scared off by the sparkly bits that I saw lol Will probably end up purchasing this.

Just wondering who here as a MAC Pro card? I sent in my application 2 weeks ago and wondering what sort of time frame I am looking at before I know if I can get one? They said they would contact me if they needed more info, and I'm assuming no news is good news, but just wondering
smiles.gif

Jade M

Quote:
^^
Just wondering who here as a MAC Pro card? I sent in my application 2 weeks ago and wondering what sort of time frame I am looking at before I know if I can get one? They said they would contact me if they needed more info, and I'm assuming no news is good news, but just wondering
smiles.gif

Hmmm not really sure - it can take a little while I think.

aussiemacluvrrr

Quote:

smiles.gif

I have one..... I think it took about 2 weeks for me to hear back from them and then at least another 4 weeks to get my card.... I sent in a copy of my certificate, copy of my business card and a copy of my ABN and that was sufficient...

If you are accepted they give you an email address that you can send orders to so that you don't have to wait for your card to arrive to make orders...
smiles.gif

lara

re: mixing palettes and metal spatulas

Buy them from an art store or a kitchen/homeware store. If you're buying through a make-up retailer or wholesaler you're just paying a ridiculous mark-up.

RachaelP

Years ago (!) I was trained using a little white tile (like a sample tile you could pick up at a tile or bunnings store for free) as a mixing palette and worked like a charm. Though may smash if you drop it unlike a metal palette, but an option.

pinkvanilla

Good morning lovelies
greengrin.gif

I had a makeup enquiry this morning that made me think - when I am thinking of how long it's going to take to do a job (not bridal) do I factor in set up time? Or should this really not be taking that long that it won't matter?

I think at the moment it takes me a little bit of time to set up but that is mainly because my kit is not very well organised
ssad.gif
really must get a new traincase for Christmas!

pinkvanilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelP
Years ago (!) I was trained using a little white tile (like a sample tile you could pick up at a tile or bunnings store for free) as a mixing palette and worked like a charm. Though may smash if you drop it unlike a metal palette, but an option.

This is a fantastic idea for people who are not clumsy like me
yes.gif

jcandelaria

Ola Chikas! Another MUA putting her hands up.

I'm Jo and finished my Cert II almost 2 years ago. Like most of you guys trying to get into the industry. My main focus at the moment is refreshing my portfolio so I can launch by website. So doing a lot of TFP at this stage. It can be a pain but I believe its the best way to update and refresh portfolios and to meet future clients. I have done several gigs such as bridal, short film, beauty pageant and music video. My greatest achievement so far is being part of the World Youth Day as one of the head MUA. Got to meet the some fantastic people such as Paulini and Guy Sebastian from Australian Idol. The atmosphere is just so amazing.

My main dilemma right now is that I am just obsess with make up (lol!). I feel like I am forever renewing my kit and buying things that I shouldn't. Does anyone feel the same way as moi? I am currently in maternity leave so I need to keep a close eye on $$

P.s Thanks Counterobsess for starting this thread. Its awesome.

rockin26

I'm a massive makeup junkie and I tend to buy things I think I'll use in the kit but most of it is sitting there collecting dust and then the things I find I need on a job I don't have. I think I need to write those items down and purchase what I'm missing rather than what is 'pretty'
greengrin.gif