Professional Aust MUAs - raise your hand!

pinkvanilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin26
I'm a massive makeup junkie and I tend to buy things I think I'll use in the kit but most of it is sitting there collecting dust and then the things I find I need on a job I don't have. I think I need to write those items down and purchase what I'm missing rather than what is 'pretty'
greengrin.gif

I'm trying to do this!! Otherwise I would just end up with a buttload of stuff I wouldn't use. Everytime I want to buy makeup I think of what I actually NEED in my kit rather than what I want. But I figure if I desperately want soemthing, I will find a way to use it..right
yes.gif

Peridot

yes.gif
Hi...putting my hand up also.

I was trained many years ago lol got my diploma in Makeup Artistry & Technology back in 1992
shockt.gif
I have been out of the industry for a bit but getting back into it again, just happy doing weddings for now
smiles.gif
Also updating my portfolio and kit.
I am looking to do an airbrushing course, but I can't find anything in Perth. So I am considering flying to adelaide and doing one with MMU.
Have any of you heard of DDP (Diego Dalla Palma) brand? I used some in my training and loved it! They have launched new products so I think i will add some to my kit, also loving MUFE & Graftobian, OCC, Mac...lol the list is never ending haha. About to try some Inglot too
smiles.gif
greengrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkvanilla
Good morning lovelies
greengrin.gif

I had a makeup enquiry this morning that made me think - when I am thinking of how long it's going to take to do a job (not bridal) do I factor in set up time? Or should this really not be taking that long that it won't matter?

I think at the moment it takes me a little bit of time to set up but that is mainly because my kit is not very well organised
ssad.gif
really must get a new traincase for Christmas!

Babe, I tend to tell my brides that I will arrive 15 minutes earlier than start time to set up, and for other work I give them a total time it will take from start to finish, I generally allow 15 minutes to set up etc then just because I have so much stuff.

If you can find out what kind of look etc it is before hand you can put all the stuff you *know* you'll be using into a small case/bag so that you've done most of the work before you get there. I do this after bridal trials as well, chuck the stuff I need in my small soft carry all and then the other stuff is there just in case something unexpected arises.

RachaelP

I think Pinkvanilla was saying not bridal, so I'm assuming a photo shoot or similar? I always arrive early, but to be honest I'm waiting around 99% of the time before the talent arrives anyway so there has always been plenty of time. I think at least 15 mins is good. If I've hired someone to assist me and I've told the we start at 9am and they arrive at 9am I kind of think that's unprofessional as then we are waiting for them to set up. So work back from the actual start time so you are good to go on time. To be honest even after doing this for years I still get nervous and like to have ample time myself to make sure I'm good to go - and I'd rather knock off earlier! There are the times that I'm told 60 mins for hair and makeup by a the magazine editor and this can get drastically reduced to 30mins by an impatient photog so if I hadn't have been early to set up then I'd be scrambling for time. Or locations change which will eat into your time to have the talent ready. If its film then its not unusual for say a 9am start to be pushed back to 11am as they check lighting and such and I'm there twiddling my thumbs, but you have less nerves by knowing you're prepared. I've had call backs to jobs based on being early and set up so it will work in your favour!

pinkvanilla

Thanks pinkles and Rachael
greengrin.gif

The inquiry was in relation to corporate work, so just wasn't really sure what to do there. Thanks so much for the tips, I feel more confident now!!

xx