samples

xStarryEyedX

I'm sorry. I am getting sick of people and their samples. I had a lady come in today and ask what color would go good with an eyeshadow she already had, so I show her one. "Oh okay, can I have a sample". The tester had barely anything left in it, so I gave her half of what was left (enough for at least a week, probably two.) She looks at it and goes oh, there's barely any in it. I was like, well- it's a sample. It should last you at least a few tries and then you can decide whether or not you like it. "Oh but you're so stingy". She proceeds to call me stingy at least 10 times, then starts telling my co-workers I'm "stingy". Meanwhile, my district manager is visiting and that's all I need is for her to hear a customer calling me stingy a million times. I understand I work retail and sometimes you have to deal with people being rude- but jeez what I would have paid to run into her when I was out of work shopping.
th_remoteImage-61.gif

Please explain to me, why is it okay to come in a store with no intentions of buying anything then call ME stingy because I give you a sample instead of basically a free eyeshadow which is what she was apparently expecting.

Does every cosmetics company have people like this? I understand skincare you have to try out, and for some people foundation... But eyeshadow- how many times do you have to use it before you know whether or not you like it?!

Sorry. Bad day.Fight w/ BF, PMS,then called stingy. Icing on the cake. You know how it is sometimes.
th_dunno.gif

</rant>

any crazy sample stories from you all? I love all of the stories on here and people get kind of nutso with their free stuff

glamourgirl216

yeah i'm sure we all have a billion of sample stories to tell, well here's mine... i had a lady come in and ask for a sample of a lipgelee. the tube was almost 1/2 gone so i proceeded to make her a sample, i purposely was behind the register while i filled the jar, so she wouldn't see how much i was putting in it ;-)
but then once i handed it to her she demanded for me to give her the tester, i was trying to be nice and say "oh don't worry about it I'll put it away in the drawer" and she kept demanding for me to give her the tube! she even said " what do u think i'm gonna steal it??!!
i was like hell no! i knew exactly what she wanted to do... squirt every last drop of it into her jar. So this particular day i was in no mood to get into any kind of arguments, so i just gave it to her and walked away... i couldn't bare to witness what i knew was gonna happen. so when i came back to the lipgloss unit, there it was the completely empty tube just left on the counter! It infuriates me that people think they can just do that! to me that is still stealing! she's just transferring it into a different container!
ok so um yeah, that pissed me off! i know, i know it's not me paying for the testers, but i can't stand it when i have an actual customer who is interested in a product. but our tester is all out and management tells us we're not allowed to make any new testers!! it's just annoying for us and the customer.
well that my 2 cents on the subject.

glamdoll

I hate when someone will take up a lot of time during a super busy period only to say, "oh can I have a sample and see if I like it?" I do not mind helping people, but when its busy, its busy. I have a sales goal to make people! lol

But the I dont want full application just eyes, cheeks n lips demos has to take the cake. Thats just as bad as samples.

And working for Lancome, OMG did I hate the whole sample line, ugh specially cus they knew they could.

DirtyPlum

I normally fall back on managers in situations like this. We usually only get asked for foundation samples and have been told we can only give max two pumps cos thats enough for them to figure out if they like it or not. IMO it only takes one application to confirm whether the product suits or not.

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPlum
I normally fall back on managers in situations like this. We usually only get asked for foundation samples and have been told we can only give max two pumps cos thats enough for them to figure out if they like it or not. IMO it only takes one application to confirm whether the product suits or not.

That's exactly it, it's an eyeshadow. You can pretty much tell after one time whether or not you like it. People are so funny, I wish they realized it sometimes.

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourgirl216
yeah i'm sure we all have a billion of sample stories to tell, well here's mine... i had a lady come in and ask for a sample of a lipgelee. the tube was almost 1/2 gone so i proceeded to make her a sample, i purposely was behind the register while i filled the jar, so she wouldn't see how much i was putting in it ;-)
but then once i handed it to her she demanded for me to give her the tester, i was trying to be nice and say "oh don't worry about it I'll put it away in the drawer" and she kept demanding for me to give her the tube! she even said " what do u think i'm gonna steal it??!!
i was like hell no! i knew exactly what she wanted to do... squirt every last drop of it into her jar. So this particular day i was in no mood to get into any kind of arguments, so i just gave it to her and walked away... i couldn't bare to witness what i knew was gonna happen. so when i came back to the lipgloss unit, there it was the completely empty tube just left on the counter! It infuriates me that people think they can just do that! to me that is still stealing! she's just transferring it into a different container!
ok so um yeah, that pissed me off! i know, i know it's not me paying for the testers, but i can't stand it when i have an actual customer who is interested in a product. but our tester is all out and management tells us we're not allowed to make any new testers!! it's just annoying for us and the customer.
well that my 2 cents on the subject.

haha I like that you walked away...you should have been like oh no I don't think you'll steal it intentionally, because you clearly have no brain. You're just stealing the opportunity for other people to try it- that's all.

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamdoll
I hate when someone will take up a lot of time during a super busy period only to say, "oh can I have a sample and see if I like it?" I do not mind helping people, but when its busy, its busy. I have a sales goal to make people! lol

But the I dont want full application just eyes, cheeks n lips demos has to take the cake. Thats just as bad as samples.

And working for Lancome, OMG did I hate the whole sample line, ugh specially cus they knew they could.

I was thinking lancome would be bad, my friend is the c/m there and I guess we all have our horror stories. We have sales goals and our hours depend on our numbers, so if we're packed- you have zero intent on buying anything- and want a sample you're screwing me out of hours...thus... you can try your eyeshadow a few times and shove it.

baybehbekah

i find it to be silly to sample an eyeshadows because in my opinion they don't look like they are suppose to when you shave them into a sample pod. gotta give them what they want!

people are crazy!

KimmyAnn_678

Samples... the one thing I don't miss about working in cosmetics.

I once had a lady come up and ask for any fragrance samples. I gave her the one kind that we had at my counter even though I could tell she was just trolling for samples. She looked at like it was something weird (and ours were even the nice ones with the little sprayer and not just the stopper) and asked if she could have any more. I told her it was only 1 per customer (or sample tramp in this case) and she said, "Oh, because I host parties and I like to stuff the gift baskets with make up samples." I told her that we have some really nice fragrance coffret sets for purchase that would be much nicer for her gift baskets and she just stomped off.

So I can just imagine this woman throwing purse/candle/houseware/intimate toy parties and using our store as a place to get free stuff to hand out to her customers.

Mabelle

wow. people are really horrible.

im really apprehensive to ask for samples. The only time i do is for skin care/foundations. Im allergic to a lot of stuff ( i duno what common ingredient it is...) and i need to use it for about 3 days. Im usually allergic to all mac face stuff
ssad.gif
booo

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
wow. people are really horrible.

im really apprehensive to ask for samples. The only time i do is for skin care/foundations. Im allergic to a lot of stuff ( i duno what common ingredient it is...) and i need to use it for about 3 days. Im usually allergic to all mac face stuff
ssad.gif
booo

Well don't be nervous with things like that, because we understand. Just what I would do is ask for the name of whoever gave you the samples, when they are working, and try to go purchase when they will be there. We appreciate things like that =).

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyAnn_678
Samples... the one thing I don't miss about working in cosmetics.

I once had a lady come up and ask for any fragrance samples. I gave her the one kind that we had at my counter even though I could tell she was just trolling for samples. She looked at like it was something weird (and ours were even the nice ones with the little sprayer and not just the stopper) and asked if she could have any more. I told her it was only 1 per customer (or sample tramp in this case) and she said, "Oh, because I host parties and I like to stuff the gift baskets with make up samples." I told her that we have some really nice fragrance coffret sets for purchase that would be much nicer for her gift baskets and she just stomped off.

So I can just imagine this woman throwing purse/candle/houseware/intimate toy parties and using our store as a place to get free stuff to hand out to her customers.

hahahah..the people who get mad when you suggest that they actually purchase... oh right, i'm here to give things away-obbbviously.

LMD84

what is wrong with some people?!?! see this is why i don't liek asking for samples even though i spend £100+ each time i go to a mac store! i'd hate somebody thinking that i was just after freebies so never ask before i've actually bought anything but after i've bought my stuff i feel like i can't ask for a sample then because the ma will move onto the next person! gah!

not just make up industry this happens in though! i'm teh store manager of a sony centre and people ask me all the freaking time what comes free with their tv!!! and when you say nothing they then say 'so what's the best price?' to which i smile sweetly and say 'what it says on the ticket... would like you one then?'

TwiggyPop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyPlum

It definitly takes more than one application. I used a sample once and thought it was a good choice so I bought the regular size and after a week my whole face broke out. It looked like I had mumps. So if an MA got pissy with me over asking for at least a weeks worth of foundation I would turn into the crazy bitch that nobody wants to deal with.
A couple extra bucks in your pocket is not worth me having to take a couple DAYS off work because my face is distorted. If someone is asking for more than one application of a pigment or something like that then they're probably just trolling for freebies, but I NEED at least a weeks worth of foundation or I won't buy it. I always try to think of the MA when getting a sample though so I only get a sample when buying at least $100 worth of products and I get the MAs name on the card she writes the color on so I can buy the full size from her when I decide.
I can be a bitch when it comes to my face, but I always try to be fair.

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiggyPop
It definitly takes more than one application. I used a sample once and thought it was a good choice so I bought the regular size and after a week my whole face broke out. It looked like I had mumps. So if an MA got pissy with me over asking for at least a weeks worth of foundation I would turn into the crazy bitch that nobody wants to deal with.

This makes you the exception, not the rule.

lara

To elaborate further on the above:

If you have a genuine sensitivity to certain ingredients and/or a combination of ingredients and require more than a few days worth of product in order to properly patch test it, then create some meaning behind asking for the larger sample and tell the SA why you require a larger sample.

People tell us they're sensitive all the time. Eh. Everyone thinks they're sensitive. Provide more context than that, don't just state that you're sensitive and then fly off the handle when the SA goes 'so is everyone else, here's your single pump of product'.
However, when people who tell us that they're sensitive, describe the nature of their sensitivity, mention what products or ingredients they've had major reactions to in the past, describe how long a reaction takes to occur and generally create some meaning behind their request are much, much more likely to get a sample more appropriate to their needs.

Short version: I'm not a mind-reader. Tell me why you require X amount of product in order to get a Y reaction from Z ingredient, and I'll do my best to create a sample of something tailored to your needs and test time. You don't need to give your life story, but create meaning and you'll receive meaning.

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD84
what is wrong with some people?!?! see this is why i don't liek asking for samples even though i spend £100+ each time i go to a mac store! i'd hate somebody thinking that i was just after freebies so never ask before i've actually bought anything but after i've bought my stuff i feel like i can't ask for a sample then because the ma will move onto the next person! gah!

not just make up industry this happens in though! i'm teh store manager of a sony centre and people ask me all the freaking time what comes free with their tv!!! and when you say nothing they then say 'so what's the best price?' to which i smile sweetly and say 'what it says on the ticket... would like you one then?'

See here's the thing, I have no problem making samples..But if you walk in my store with a little attitude then make it clear that it's all you want- then can get the amount of free product that I was told to give from day 1 (which is what I did)... Usually we give people a little extra, if not a lot extra..But some people man...

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
To elaborate further on the above:

If you have a genuine sensitivity to certain ingredients and/or a combination of ingredients and require more than a few days worth of product in order to properly patch test it, then create some meaning behind asking for the larger sample and tell the SA why you require a larger sample.

People tell us they're sensitive all the time. Eh. Everyone thinks they're sensitive. Provide more context than that, don't just state that you're sensitive and then fly off the handle when the SA goes 'so is everyone else, here's your single pump of product'.
However, when people who tell us that they're sensitive, describe the nature of their sensitivity, mention what products or ingredients they've had major reactions to in the past, describe how long a reaction takes to occur and generally create some meaning behind their request are much, much more likely to get a sample more appropriate to their needs.

Short version: I'm not a mind-reader. Tell me why you require X amount of product in order to get a Y reaction from Z ingredient, and I'll do my best to create a sample of something tailored to your needs and test time. You don't need to give your life story, but create meaning and you'll receive meaning.

AH I love you... If one more person tells me they have sensitive skin.. The cosmetics line I work for is MADE for sensitive skin, and a very good amount of our customers come from dermatologist's offices... So when someone comes in and says "oh I'm sensitive" all I have to say is "are you allergic to sunscreen, no? Okay well I would bet a million dollars that you'll be fine".. Now are you really sensitive, or would you just like to walk out of here with something free/get your makeup done to go out tonight

Mabelle

^ while i get that you frustrated by people trying to get free stuff, i do have crazy sensitive skin and i need to sample all skin products before i buy them. i'm not allergic to sunblock, but i seem to be allergic to a lot of SPF in skincare products. I sometimes have to use a product for 3 days to see if im allergic.
I remember going into mac and asking if i could get a sample of two foundations to see if i was allergic, the woman didnt even bother to try to properly match me and then looked at me like i was a liar. i was allergic to one and not the other.I've bought products without sampling before and had itchy red hives all over my face. They can last up to a week on me.

So while i realized that some people lie and just want free product, there are people like me who seem to have reactions to almost everything. I can't figure out what ingredients in specific im allergic to. Trust me, its no fun for me either. While you don't enjoy making the samples, i dont enjoy the red blotches or having take benodryl. it sucks the big one.

xStarryEyedX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
^ while i get that you frustrated by people trying to get free stuff, i do have crazy sensitive skin and i need to sample all skin products before i buy them. i'm not allergic to sunblock, but i seem to be allergic to a lot of SPF in skincare products. I sometimes have to use a product for 3 days to see if im allergic.
I remember going into mac and asking if i could get a sample of two foundations to see if i was allergic, the woman didnt even bother to try to properly match me and then looked at me like i was a liar. i was allergic to one and not the other.I've bought products without sampling before and had itchy red hives all over my face. They can last up to a week on me.

So while i realized that some people lie and just want free product, there are people like me who seem to have reactions to almost everything. I can't figure out what ingredients in specific im allergic to. Trust me, its no fun for me either. While you don't enjoy making the samples, i dont enjoy the red blotches or having take benodryl. it sucks the big one.

It's more the people who use it as an excuse. like, " I had a bad reaction to this clearsil moisturizer 9 years ago that wasn't meant for my skin type but i used it anyway. so my skin is obviously sensitive"

Honestly, we get it. It's just we hear the same things ten times a day and it's usually only truly the case 10% of the time. If someone tells me they have a skin condition and want to try something I give them a sample and tell them to run the ingredients by their dermatologist.

Just to make it clear, at least for myself- I have no problem giving samples to people who come in and are respectful and show legit interest in buying something down the road. Or if you're already purchasing and you're extra nice, you get a little extra. It's kind of one of those things you don't understand unless you've worked for a cosmetics company. There are just those people who take advantage of your time and enjoy being rude. A lot of people are really something else. I was not attacking people who actually have sensitive skin either, which I guess it could maybe have looked like... Just the other 90% who say they do because they like the extra attention and free stuff.