Thanksgiving...

ratmist

Can't wait. It's the best holiday ever. Everyone sits down, irrespective of whether they're blood-related, and thinks about how grateful they are for the life they have and the people they love. God, I love Thanksgiving. It's the only holiday I love.

That being said, I moved away from America to the UK in 1999. They don't do Thanksgiving here. The worst thing about it is that it's on a Thursday, and we don't get time off or anything. Trying to celebrate it is tricky because it's a school night, so to speak.

I'm going to make my grandmother's Squash Dressing (cornbread + cooked squash + secret ingredients = the most delicious mushy dressing EVAH!) and a few other dishes. All the Americans in my group of friends are rounding up their European counterparts and we're having a big dinner. Can't wait!

nunu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
You put a chicken inside a duck inside a turkey and cook. Made famous by John Madden on Thanksgiving Day football games. Might explain why he looks like he's going to die anyday now, huh?

wow you can actually do that! thats a lot of meat!

*Stargazer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
That kind of made me gag a little. ew.

Yeah, it never looked very appetizing.

AppleDiva

We will have Thanksgiving dinner at my uncle's house.

He makes the best Jerk Turkey.
th_DANCE.gif
(He puts it on the bbq) Even the breast, which is the only part I eat, is quite flavorful.

I am looking forward to:
  1. Rice and Peas
  2. Jerk Salmon (my mom makes the best!!)
  3. Cornbread (very tasty, it is internationally known)
  4. Green bean casserole
  5. Cranberry sauce (whole berry)
I doubt we will have mashed potatoes, but I am crossing my fingers on the mac & cheese. One of my cousins is making it for the first time, God bless her little heart! So if we could all say a word of prayer, that would be quite helpful.

I am not looking forward to:
Curry goat...
nonono.gif
I am probably the only Jamaican, non-vegan, that does not like goat...

Marielle001

Madden used to give the legs (hee, 6 of them, it was so strange) to the MVPs of the Thanksgiving day game. We thought about making a turducken. It's kind of complicated though, and we always have leftovers anyway. So my dad wound up frying turkey last year instead as an experiment.

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug10678
You put a chicken inside a duck inside a turkey and cook. Made famous by John Madden on Thanksgiving Day football games. Might explain why he looks like he's going to die anyday now, huh?

Paula Dean just made one of these the other night. They are actually really famous in the south from what I understand. My grandmother says her relatives in Louisiana were doing it YEARS ago but they had a different name for them. I have never had it but I'd like to try it.

CantAffordMAC

turducken, hahaa! I've never heard of this. It sounds like it'd take forever to cook. But I guess its a good idea if you're having a lot of people over or if everyone likes something different.

God I can't wait to eat on thanksgiving. this is the first year that I'm really looking forward to it.

Shimmer

Everytime I read it, now that I know what it is I kinda shudder a little. ugh.

My family is so untraditional it's crazy. We come together and EAT. And drink. A lot. We'll probably go through five or six cases of beer Saturday.
f18691fd.jpg

That's so us.

clslvr6spd

Quote:

My family is so untraditional it's crazy. We come together and EAT. And drink. A lot. We'll probably go through five or six cases of beer Saturday.
f18691fd.jpg

That's so us.

th_LMAO.gif
that's my family as well, lol....Drunk bastards!!!

MAC_Whore

Yeah, this is a Turducken, which is filled with stuffing and sometimes sausage. CARNIVOROUS MAXIMUS! Big in New Orleans.

Whilst it a gluttonous mass o'meat, I have to admit, I am curious to try it. Although I fear the duck would make it taste to gamey.

Just think, it is like the dream bird. A little bit of everything. Like a club sandwich with legs and a beek.

AppleDiva

Quote:

f18691fd.jpg

That's so us.

Too funny!!
th_LMAO.gif

jenNpaci

Im so excited for thanksgiving, we're going to have a lot of people over and I am helping my mom cook:

Turkey
Mashed potatoes w/ gravy
Homemade Cranberry sauce
Green bean Casserole
Corn bread
roasted corn
Roasted squash
mac and cheese
and of course pumpkin pie.

I'm stuck taking a physics exam for the next 24 hours but after that im going HOME!

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
Yeah, this is a Turducken, which is filled with stuffing and sometimes sausage. CARNIVOROUS MAXIMUS! Big in New Orleans.

Whilst it a gluttonous mass o'meat, I have to admit, I am curious to try it. Although I fear the duck would make it taste to gamey.

Just think, it is like the dream bird. A little bit of everything. Like a club sandwich with legs and a beek.

throwup.gif

seeing the picture...ew. thats just gross, I'm sorry lol

SparklingWaves

I am from New Orleans and this is the my first time hearing of it. I am not interested in that or the fried gator. No offense.

meiming

I had turducken for the first time last year at a pre-thanksgiving dinner hosted by some friends. I think it often involves sausage somewhere in the middle too. It was alright...not really my thing.

This year the family thanksgiving get together is at my house. After my dad's remarriage (is that a word?) this will be the first coming together of the 2 extended families. Should be interesting...he's cooking 2 turkeys for the occasion. I will be making pie: 2 pumpkin and 1 apple probably
smiles.gif
It's my first time attempting a fruit pie so *fingers crossed*.

I look forward to mashed potatoes and gravy, stuffing!!, turkey and ...heck...i pretty much love everything about thanksgiving food
th_DANCE.gif

purrtykitty

i'm having thanksgiving #2 at my aunt and uncle's house with all my dad's relatives. i'm looking forward to turkey (with gravy of course), mashed taters, sweet taters, and stuffing...not so much for pumpkin pie, though i might snag some pie crust if i can get away with it.

you better believe my a$$ is gonna be at the gym thursday and friday morning!!