Thanksgiving...

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWaves
I am from New Orleans and this is the my first time hearing of it. I am not interested in that or the fried gator. No offense.

Cuisine is a matter of personal preference. Fried gator is a bit of a leap from turkey/turducken.

red

I'm giving thanks for having a job, for being a good cook
th_DANCE.gif
, for having well behaved kids, and a wonderful man in my life.

We were to have more guests this year, but they had to cancel. So it's going to be just four of us and a big turkey we got at the farm
winkiss.gif

It's going to be a country Thanksgiving, 55 miles from NY .. a totally different world ...

I've already begun to set my humble table, nothing fancy ... the proof is in the cooking not the fancy china
th_LMAO.gif

To all my friends here at Specktra, I want to wish each and everyone of you a great holiday with loved ones all around you to make you smile.

here I moved the chairs around ;-)

Dizzy

In my house, I'm the cook since my mother has 'retired.' haha, anyway we always have a huge family event for Thanksgiving at my grandmother's apartment in Queens. I get to bring about 8 containers of mashed potatoes and fresh baked cookies- both from scratch, and has to be enough for 42 people. Can you tell I'm cooking all night long?
tong.gif

My brother got lucky- he just has to bring the beer. I've called that duty for next thanksgiving, haha!!

j_absinthe

This year is weird for me. I have alot to be thankful for, more than ever I think, yet the holiday itself is just not something I want to celebrate.

I mean, I eat every day. The only thing that makes it different for my family is that they pray, 1 time out of the year, to forgive their gluttony.

Not to mention the animal cruelty doc I watched this evening, it definently put a sour taste in my mouth as far as indulging in turkey this year-which I rarely do anyway, but I just feel less and less comfortable around it.

I think I'm going to email some friends of friends, queer punks and anarchists, who are having an Anti-Thanksgiving get together. Bonfires, radical and heated conversations, and lots of vegan cuisine. It should be a nice reprieve.

Janice

Today I made a few things that can overnight so that there's not as much to cook tomorrow.

Potato Salad
Spinach Dip (to be put in a sourdough bread bowl)
Pumpkin Pie

I was supposed to make deviled eggs too, so I need to get off my tush and back in the kitchen. I've already boiled and cooled the eggs so it shouldn't take too long.

silversuniverse

Thanksgiving is the biggest meal in my family besides Christmas! I looove food so I love Thanksgiving
greengrin.gif
My grandma always makes a honey-baked ham and a turkey, fruit salad, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, bread, pumpkin pie, and like 5 other things. It's so awesome!!

I'm not looking forward to eating leftovers for 2 weeks lol!

My boyfriend is coming with me this year since his family doesn't do family stuff XD

Juneplum

at my parents house - Thanksgiving Jamaican style!
greengrin.gif

jerked turkey with stuffing
curry chicken
ham (Jamaican style)
bammy
escoveitch fish
rice and peas
fried plantains
ackee and saltfish
johnny cakes
sorrel ( traditional Jamaican drink)
macaroni and cheese (from scratch of course)
a a plethora of desserts (rum cake, plantain tarts, pumpkin pie, ice cream, etc.)

ya - we have a BIG family
smiles.gif
and i'm SO thankful for them
heart.gif

MAC_Whore

/\ Juneplum, I am on my way over!

You are all making me hungry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversuniverse
...I'm not looking forward to eating leftovers for 2 weeks lol!....

That's part of the awesomeness that is Thanksgiving!
smiles.gif

red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
/\ Juneplum, I am on my way over!

stop by my house on the way and pick me up
drools.gif

red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATTAK
Looks great Red!! What do you have under the skin..basil or sage leaves?

sage leaves baby
greengrin.gif

they ate the whole thing .....

red

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahlowryfan
this Thanksgiving, its only me and my siblings. i'm making lasagna, cornbread and pumpkin pie.

lasagna is gift from the Gods, I love it
th_worship.gif

Willa

I'm jealous right now
lol.gif

I never really celebrated thanksgiving, the reason is, here in Quebec we have ''Action de grâce'' but it's earlier in october. We eat turkey and such... but in my family we don't really do anything on that holiday.

When I think of thanksgiving, I always have in mind american movies with a new couple, the guy brings his new girlfriend home for the weekend and funny things happen during that time.

Or even, Friends thanksgiving episodes! Always so funny lollll

I'm a little bit late for it, but I hope you all have a great weekend! I was watching food network and Paula Deen was making such a big feast! Yummy
drools.gif