The pope passed away today

Jessica

OK, here's my personal interpretation. I'm sure that everyone has varying viewpoints (disclamer)
To me the pope symbolized not only the supreme Roman Catholic leader, but he lived very much as christ calls all christians to live. He was selfless, stood by the oppressed and demanded equality. Interpreted the bible literally and did not add in his personal feelings or what he read into it. He valued human life, justice, and the sancity of the church. He was the ultimate guide for individuals to follow, in that he "walked the walk and talked the talk" He did not have a standard for himself and yet another for others to aspire to.
Sure, there will be neigh-sayers and rebuttals to everything that I have mentioned. But what is important for me to understand and keep in mind that each and every person is entitled to ascribe their own beliefs...what particular religion they partake in, or don't and what values and morals that each person holds true. Which is yet another powerful point that John Paul II spoke about. HE was the fist pope to enter a Jewish synagogue, a Muslim mosque, etc. He opened his arms and heart to ALL of humanity. He apologized for any anti-semetic statements made by the Catholic church over the course of 2000 years. He was an active participant in restoring peace amongst all of God's Creation and saw no boundries or divisions.
So, that is my short dissertation on John Paul II.
If I have offended any, it was not my intention to do so. I personally believe that it is each and every person's individual decision in regards to faith.

Juneplum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica
OK, here's my personal interpretation. I'm sure that everyone has varying viewpoints (disclamer)
To me the pope symbolized not only the supreme Roman Catholic leader, but he lived very much as christ calls all christians to live. He was selfless, stood by the oppressed and demanded equality. Interpreted the bible literally and did not add in his personal feelings or what he read into it. He valued human life, justice, and the sancity of the church. He was the ultimate guide for individuals to follow, in that he "walked the walk and talked the talk" He did not have a standard for himself and yet another for others to aspire to.
Sure, there will be neigh-sayers and rebuttals to everything that I have mentioned. But what is important for me to understand and keep in mind that each and every person is entitled to ascribe their own beliefs...what particular religion they partake in, or don't and what values and morals that each person holds true. Which is yet another powerful point that John Paul II spoke about. HE was the fist pope to enter a Jewish synagogue, a Muslim mosque, etc. He opened his arms and heart to ALL of humanity. He apologized for any anti-semetic statements made by the Catholic church over the course of 2000 years. He was an active participant in restoring peace amongst all of God's Creation and saw no boundries or divisions.
So, that is my short dissertation on John Paul II.
If I have offended any, it was not my intention to do so. I personally believe that it is each and every person's individual decision in regards to faith.

Jessica, now I know for SURE that you and I are kindred spirits.. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL POST.. I LOVE IT, and agree wholeheartedly with you... hE TRULY was a gentleman who saw no boundaries and embraced ALL. In my eyes he was the people's pope.. Even though my heart is heavy, I rejoice in the fact that he is not suffering anymore and is at home with the Lord. I will miss him terribly... May his BEAUTIFUL soul rest in peace..
cry.gif

GoldieLox

Well from what you say he deffinatly sounds like an honderable person. i just wish that i could have been a little bit older during his time to be able to fully appreciate his doings. as i am only 16 years old i don't really remember hearing much about him untill he was on the news for being sick and such things. how nice tho for all of man around the world to be able to experience at least one man of authority whom they feel they can rely and trust in. its very inspiring.