The Wearin' o' the Purple (Lavender Whip, etc.)

cno64

Do you all like to wear purplish cosmetics anywhere other than on the eyes, or do you find them unflattering?
I know quite a few people had trouble wearing MAC's recently released lipstick Lavender Whip, but many others LOVED it at first sight!
eyelove.gif

Personally, I had to do a little "playing" with Lavender Whip before it looked good on me, but in general I love purple, and am not afraid of it.
For example, I've practically built a shrine to MAC's Violetta lipstick, which is quite purplish.
I've even been known to wear a touch of Ben Nye's Dry Cheek Rouge in Passion Purple with Violetta.
AND a dab of Funtabulous Dazzleglass for a finishing touch!
th_crazy.gif

When I wear the lip/cheek products mentioned above, I go for neutrals on my eyes, and even I don't think I'd wear a blue-purple lipstick.
amazed.gif

Violetta and Funtabulous both have enough pink in them so that they make me (NW15; lots of pink undertones) look healthy, not oxygen deprived.
What about you all?

HustleRose

i purchased fashion mews from mac hello kitty collection last week and at first i found it really hard to wear and kinda awkward to the eye. i think that was because i had never worn anything like that before on my lips. but with a nice smokey or natural eye, i've found that i love the way it looks now. i hope to try lavender whip if my mac store ever gets it back in stock!

as for blue-purples, i don't know if that's for me. now ask me about blue-pinks and i'm all about that!

gigiopolis

I think some people look FABULOUS in these purple-y colours. Me...on the other hand...it's just never gonna work. I have warm skin that errs a little on the olive-y side and it's from experience that I know that I look good in peachy, warm colours. I don't even want to imagine what kind of corpse-like concoction I would look like if I tried on Fashion Mews or Lavender Whip!

To each her own, of course, and like I mentioned before, many women, especially those with pinker or considerably darker skin, look great!

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigiopolis

To each her own, of course, and like I mentioned before, many women, especially those with pinker or considerably darker skin, look great!

I agree.
In general, I think those of us with more pronounced pink undertones to our complexions, do best in purplish colors.
For example, Violetta lipstick, which looks a fright in the tube, lights up my entire face when I wear it.
And Show Orchid, which is not overtly purple but does have some lavender tones to it, makes me look at least 10 years younger than my actual age.
What woman past the age of 30 wouldn't love that?
amazed.gif

L1LMAMAJ

I got Fashion Mews and at first, I was really scared of the color! It's lavender!! I tried it with some pinkish gloss over it to lessen the purple-ness and I have to say, I like it. I still need to get used to it. It's definitely something I still need to get use to. I'm glad I got it though b/c I usually go for pinks and peaches.

User38

th_DANCE.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by L1LMAMAJ
I got Fashion Mews and at first, I was really scared of the color! It's lavender!! I tried it with some pinkish gloss over it to lessen the purple-ness and I have to say, I like it. I still need to get used to it. It's definitely something I still need to get use to. I'm glad I got it though b/c I usually go for pinks and peaches.

graucho.gif
I put the lavendar whip over some of my light browns.. the color is very unique and looks beautiful. Also, the lavendar gloss works really nicely over all pinks and hot fuscia colors. I
th_wink3.gif
the lavendars and purples on lips!

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerGreyness
th_DANCE.gif

. Also, the lavendar gloss works really nicely over all pinks and hot fuscia colors. I
th_wink3.gif
the lavendars and purples on lips!

I agree!
Purples and lavenders can be very intimdating colors to put on your lips, but if done carefully, I find that they lend a wonderful youthful freshness to my NW15 face.
I, too, have found that combining purples/lavenders works great!
You can totally avoid that Barney-the Dinosaur look ...
amazed.gif

MAC_Fafinette14

I recently picked up Violetta, and am loving it like mad! It's such a pretty pinkish purple. I also like Chignon for a more plummy lip, and Orchidazzle for a softer violet-pink. I'd love to see a true blue-purple, though. Right now, my Blast O' Blue is the closest thing to it!

Septemba

I'd love to experiment with some lilac/violet blushes. I saw a picture of Liv Tyler wearing the shade and it was incredibly beautiful.

Growing Wings

I picked up Barry M's Lavender lipstick today. It's a really similar colour to Lavender Whip. I was a little afraid to try it, but it looks so nice on! I put Cult Fave l/g (Fafi) over it, and it looked fantastic! Totally loving the lavender at the moment
yes.gif

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septemba
I'd love to experiment with some lilac/violet blushes. I saw a picture of Liv Tyler wearing the shade and it was incredibly beautiful.

They're difficult to find.
My coloring is very similar to Ms. Tyler's, and I love Ben Nye's Dry Cheek Rouge(incredibly pigmented powder blush, in case you're wondering) in Passion Purple.
I wore a little bit of it today, with MAC's fabulous Violetta lipstick
eyelove.gif
topped with Fast Friends Lipglass.
On my [green] eyes, I wore soft grays and silvers, and it looked fierce!
This comes from one of the most Caucasian white-bread Baptists who ever roamed the earth.
lol.gif

cno64

Are purplish lips going to be a Big Thing again for Fall/Winter 2009?
I ask, because MAC's Trend collection features some unmistakably purple lip colors.
I was tempted by Faultlessly F/W, but it's just too close to black for me.
Speaking of purple: I am looking for a deep-but-not-blackish purple plum lipstick, preferably MAC.
I have Odyssey, and that's close, but it's just a tad too "muddy."
Suggestions, anyone?

MK09

I would wear a purple lip but only if i was going for a specific look,but definitely not as an every day look.Say if i was going to a big party or a special occasion i might try a purple lip if i was feeling reallyy daring lol.But not often, for me personally anyway.Maybe when i was a teenager i might have,god knows i wore every other color in the crayon box lol

cno64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK09
I would wear a purple lip but only if i was going for a specific look,but definitely not as an every day look.Say if i was going to a big party or a special occasion i might try a purple lip if i was feeling reallyy daring

I've worn a purple-ish lip to *church* on Sunday morning, and I go to a fairly white bread Baptist church.
I'll wear MAC Violetta, which has a decidedly pink cast to it, and I blot vedddy heavily. I add a bit of Funtabulous Dazzleglass, and I'm good to go.
I keep my other makeup low-key, and I think it looks fine.

Shadowy Lady

I love purple lipsticks. I have Up the Amp and Lavender Whip and wear them often. I have neutral to cool skintone, in btween NW25 and NW30...I tend to wear purple lipstick with gray eyeshadows or neutral eyes

MK09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cno64
I've worn a purple-ish lip to *church* on Sunday morning, and I go to a fairly white bread Baptist church.
I'll wear MAC Violetta, which has a decidedly pink cast to it, and I blot vedddy heavily. I add a bit of Funtabulous Dazzleglass, and I'm good to go.
I keep my other makeup low-key, and I think it looks fine.

Oh no let me clear up that i actually do think it looks fine.Infact i think it can look really cool! lol Just for me, my own personal taste on myself im not sure purple is really a color that i like for my lips on a regular day to day.But if i had a special occasion and i was in a purple mood i would so rock the purple lip lol Actually i love to wear Nars Schiap l/s with Nars Hot Wired l/g and i just adore that look.So im all for switching things up and wearing a daring lip or bright lips even during the day everyday if you want.Ill wear my bright fuchsia lip anytime day or night! I might even wear it to bed lol But yeah i do love the bright fuchsia lip,thats my makeup love of the moment lol And i dont go to church but if i did i wear it to church too haha.I think it just boils down to personal color choice.

Oh and i do agree with you about that if your going to go for a purple lip,fuchsia lip or any bright lip then keep your eye and cheek more low key.Otherwise its probably not going to look cute lol